Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

The VAR thread

What are your thoughts on VAR?  

679 members have voted

1. 1. What are your thoughts on VAR?

• Love it, all for it, fantastic introduction to football
    • Hate it, games gone
    • Somewhere in between

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 17/05/20 at 19:00

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/fifa-gains-control-of-var-rulings-c8mq9tdsq?shareToken=4db019e21af40593207d2188e73a5e54

FIFA basically stepping in to stop associations from modifying how they use VAR, so for instance we give leeway to defenders handballing and not enforcing keepers being on their line for penalties. These will both change and VAR will enforce them. 

However, I'm really not keen on this rule suggested by Wenger. 

"It will also give Arsène Wenger, the former Arsenal manager who is now Fifa’s head of global football development, a much greater say in VAR developments. Under his guidance, Fifa is to trial changing the offside law so that there has to be clear daylight between the attacker and defender for an offside offence to occur" 

I said it in the Premier League thread that I do wonder if referees aren't keen on calling out colleagues too often on mistakes they make. I'm sure we've been in positions at work where colleagues have made errors, it may become a bigger issue and reputations are gained and you aren't keen on continually pointing them out.

It could be time for independent people to take charge of the video side of it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jayfox26 said:

So the premier league have admitted it was a mistake to give United a penalty and should have been a free kick to villa. That's all well and good but will Moss or the var official be reprimanded? Will they bollocks! 

Not only that they have admitted that penalty decisions in all 3 games yesterday was wrong 

• Like 2

Garth Crooks maybe getting the wrong idea about VAR though?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53354663

The handball is a silly rule which forces the officials to disallow a goal no matter how petty is it and the ref actually did take some responsibility for his decision in your game by looking at the screen...

If anything they were 2 decisions that in theory were right and done well - even if the handball rule is rubbish.

It's these petty clear cut penalties not given and soft ones given that are the issue

Mind you is it a surprise teams get cheap penalties when the Man U manager comes out and says that was a penalty?!

10 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

Garth Crooks maybe getting the wrong idea about VAR though?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53354663

The handball is a silly rule which forces the officials to disallow a goal no matter how petty is it and the ref actually did take some responsibility for his decision in your game by looking at the screen...

If anything they were 2 decisions that in theory were right and done well - even if the handball rule is rubbish.

It's these petty clear cut penalties not given and soft ones given that are the issue

Mind you is it a surprise teams get cheap penalties when the Man U manager comes out and says that was a penalty?!

This is a reason why everyone hates United. Fergie was always the same and Jose and now Solskjaer. Cant even admit that his team got a cheap peno even though it was blatantly obvious. It must be part of the job role at old Trafford (and other "big clubs) that the manager has to talk utter nonsense. Solskjaer said "if you try some skills and land on a player you get a penalty". I've absolutely no idea what that means! 

• Like 1

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53357841

VAR: Premier League confirms wrong penalty decisions in all Thursday games

3 hours ago

From the sectionMan Utd

Sharethis page

Powerful people do not like to be criticised - Mourinho

Incorrect penalty decisions were made by the video assistant referee in all three of Thursday's games, the Premier League has told BBC Match of the Day.

Bruno Fernandes won a spot-kick which he scored in Manchester United's 3-0 win over Aston Villa.

James Ward-Prowse hit the bar after a disputed penalty as Southampton drew 1-1 with Everton.

And Tottenham should have had a penalty for a Joshua King shove on Harry Kane in a 0-0 draw with Bournemouth.

The Premier League confirmed United and Southampton should not have been given penalties, but Tottenham should have been awarded one.

Former Everton midfielder Tim Cahill, a Match of the Day pundit, said a former player should be involved to work alongside the VAR officials at Stockley Park.

"I think that would really help them, to understand the movements," the former Australia international said.

"When a player falls to buy a penalty you can feel it. It must need a player there to give advice on what the player is doing.

"They're there to make the big decisions and they can't do it. It's really disappointing."

Fifa is taking over direct responsibility of VAR from football rulemakers IFAB and is expected to insist on greater consistency across more than 100 global leagues, on issues such as the use of pitchside monitors.

There has been confusion in the Premier League, with referees' chief Mike Riley limiting the use of monitors to not slow the game down.

10 hours ago, Corky said:

I said it in the Premier League thread that I do wonder if referees aren't keen on calling out colleagues too often on mistakes they make. I'm sure we've been in positions at work where colleagues have made errors, it may become a bigger issue and reputations are gained and you aren't keen on continually pointing them out.

Think that's a brilliant idea, independent company/board who wouldn't care about overruling on-pitch officials or having an actual discussion on why the decision would need a second viewing. 

Then takes the burden off our officials who frankly can't cope

The independents would still end up getting "sponsorship" from big clubs and the corruption will continue.

Let's remove refs all together and go with a completely digital ref system. 

23 minutes ago, davieG said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53357841

VAR: Premier League confirms wrong penalty decisions in all Thursday games

3 hours ago

From the sectionMan Utd

Sharethis page

Powerful people do not like to be criticised - Mourinho

Incorrect penalty decisions were made by the video assistant referee in all three of Thursday's games, the Premier League has told BBC Match of the Day.

Bruno Fernandes won a spot-kick which he scored in Manchester United's 3-0 win over Aston Villa.

James Ward-Prowse hit the bar after a disputed penalty as Southampton drew 1-1 with Everton.

And Tottenham should have had a penalty for a Joshua King shove on Harry Kane in a 0-0 draw with Bournemouth.

The Premier League confirmed United and Southampton should not have been given penalties, but Tottenham should have been awarded one.

Former Everton midfielder Tim Cahill, a Match of the Day pundit, said a former player should be involved to work alongside the VAR officials at Stockley Park.

"I think that would really help them, to understand the movements," the former Australia international said.

"When a player falls to buy a penalty you can feel it. It must need a player there to give advice on what the player is doing.

"They're there to make the big decisions and they can't do it. It's really disappointing."

Fifa is taking over direct responsibility of VAR from football rulemakers IFAB and is expected to insist on greater consistency across more than 100 global leagues, on issues such as the use of pitchside monitors.

There has been confusion in the Premier League, with referees' chief Mike Riley limiting the use of monitors to not slow the game down.

So VAR gets it wrong, but that's still okay. What about any retrospective action towards the results of the games. A VAR error could have decided the CL places and that's criminal. Once the penalty went in against villa, you could see that they virtually gave up the fight.

Peter Walton says it's only used to advise the ref on incidents which are a clear and obvious error so basically he us saying they didn't think there was a mistake yet the Premier league are?!

We might as well not have VAR then if it's just going to subjective all the time.
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

So VAR gets it wrong, but that's still okay. What about any retrospective action towards the results of the games. A VAR error could have decided the CL places and that's criminal. Once the penalty went in against villa, you could see that they virtually gave up the fight.

It goes beyond that. Like I said in the PL thread, United got the benefit of the penalty, of Fernandes not being sent off, and of him not being banned.

1 minute ago, Super_horns said:
Peter Walton says it's only used to advise the ref on incidents which are a clear and obvious error so basically he us saying they didn't think there was a mistake yet the Premier league are?!

We might as well not have VAR then if it's just going to subjective all the time.

Looks to me like they are making the rules up as they go along.

Absolute guarantee we would not have got that penalty, 100%.

• Like 1

Peter Walton is a bellend. Never comes across as being able to have an opinion and just toes the party line about everything. Tiresome listening to him. BT Sport just use him as filler on their matches. 

'let's bring in Peter Walton in' 

*Peter agrees with the referee*

'Thanks Peter!' 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Corky said:

Simple let the refs go to the monitor like against arsenal, give VAR only the power to say you should have a look at that again and then handover to the referee.

VAR looked at the possible red 5-6 times, the ref had 1 look! Having ref'd a few games I'd rather correct myself then be corrected by someone else.

Take John Moss last night, he's getting no criticism for a bad call , because VAR is taking the brunt, he should have been made to have a look.