Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

The VAR thread

What are your thoughts on VAR?  

679 members have voted

1. 1. What are your thoughts on VAR?

• Love it, all for it, fantastic introduction to football
    • Hate it, games gone
    • Somewhere in between

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 17/05/20 at 19:00

5 minutes ago, Shane said:

Wouldn’t call it perfection!

Iheanacho’s goal should have counted

Think it was taken out of the equation for that because the ref had already blown the whistle (if I'm remembering correctly, anyway). 

Nice that we saw a referee using the monitor for a change but it was pretty horrendous how long it took for the red card and the review of our equaliser. 

• Thanks 1

The decision to disallow Iheanacho's goal tonight infuriated me. Now you may think I've posted this in the wrong thread but bear with me. The goal was disallowed for a "foul" by Iheancho which was given by the liner. If the ref had given the decision, I'd say fair enough but it was the wrong decision. But why in gods name Is the liner getting involved in a decision that is 20 yards or more away from where she was standing if it wasnt a clear decision. I understand they give offsides (dont think they should unless its obvious) but surely we should let var decide these things not a fcking liner. It was never a foul in the memory of man and was absolute shithousery from the Arsenal defender and no way, if the ref didnt give that decision would var have over ruled it. As controversial as var is and has been for us this season, I'm confident that Nachos goal would not have been ruled out if it wasnt for the liner! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jayfox26 said:

The decision to disallow Iheanacho's goal tonight infuriated me. Now you may think I've posted this in the wrong thread but bear with me. The goal was disallowed for a "foul" by Iheancho which was given by the liner. If the ref had given the decision, I'd say fair enough but it was the wrong decision. But why in gods name Is the liner getting involved in a decision that is 20 yards or more away from where she was standing if it wasnt a clear decision. I understand they give offsides (dont think they should unless its obvious) but surely we should let var decide these things not a fcking liner. It was never a foul in the memory of man and was absolute shithousery from the Arsenal defender and no way, if the ref didnt give that decision would var have over ruled it. As controversial as var is and has been for us this season, I'm confident that Nachos goal would not have been ruled out if it wasnt for the liner! 

Referees or linesman should not be reliant on VAR. They make their own decisions on the pitch and if VAR thinks it's a clear error, they will overrule. Yesterday was one of those, if it isn't given, I don't think VAR would overrule the goal and give a foul. But as it was flagged, VAR was never going to overrule unless it was a blatant dive and zero contact.

52 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Referees or linesman should not be reliant on VAR. They make their own decisions on the pitch and if VAR thinks it's a clear error, they will overrule. Yesterday was one of those, if it isn't given, I don't think VAR would overrule the goal and give a foul. But as it was flagged, VAR was never going to overrule unless it was a blatant dive and zero contact.

I agree but the liners shouldn't be getting involved in fouls unless its 100% clear. It was never a foul so she should not have got involved. 

4 minutes ago, jayfox26 said:

I agree but the liners shouldn't be getting involved in fouls unless its 100% clear. It was never a foul so she should not have got involved. 

I agree. From what i saw the ref didn't even see what happened with kelechi and kolasinac he just went from the lino wafting her flag about.

Last night perfectly illustrated the problem with VAR in the premier League. Pit some reason premier League boss s don't want the referees to check pitchside monitors, the only reason I've seen why that's the case is because it takes too long. 

Yet stockley park looked at the sending off countless times yesterday and still couldn't make a decision. The ref saw it twice and immediately changed his mind. Which took longer?

I'm reading between the lines here bit I imagine the referee saw the initial incident as more of a coming together with nketias lateness being the reason for the booking. As soon as he saw studs up, knee high, it was an easy decision to change. 

Meanwhile in stockley park, they were too worried to override the original decision, making it look like the ref had made a mistake. But in this instance, it wasn't a mistake, just the referee didn't see the full picture. 

For VAR to succeed, we need to give the referees on the pitch more responsibility, they are refereeing the game and car decisions should still come down to them imho. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RobHawk said:

Last night perfectly illustrated the problem with VAR in the premier League. Pit some reason premier League boss s don't want the referees to check pitchside monitors, the only reason I've seen why that's the case is because it takes too long. 

Yet stockley park looked at the sending off countless times yesterday and still couldn't make a decision. The ref saw it twice and immediately changed his mind. Which took longer?

I'm reading between the lines here bit I imagine the referee saw the initial incident as more of a coming together with nketias lateness being the reason for the booking. As soon as he saw studs up, knee high, it was an easy decision to change. 

Meanwhile in stockley park, they were too worried to override the original decision, making it look like the ref had made a mistake. But in this instance, it wasn't a mistake, just the referee didn't see the full picture. 

For VAR to succeed, we need to give the referees on the pitch more responsibility, they are refereeing the game and car decisions should still come down to them imho. 

You’re assuming that Stockley park couldn’t make up their mind

perhaps kavanagh was arguing that he didn’t see what the var was telling him had occurred and in the end had to check for himself ???

the way we use the system is flawed 

1 minute ago, st albans fox said:

perhaps kavanagh was arguing that he didn’t see what the var was telling him had occurred and in the end had to check for himself ???

Well of course there is assumption there, but we have often seen stockley park not wanting to overturn their mates decisions so it's a fair assumption to make. 

It actually reminds me of another point I wanted to make though, refa should be mic'd up and broadcast along with stockley park so we can see what they are thinking. Works so well in rugby. Still not 100% accurate imho bit where something is subjective at least you can see where they are coming from.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

Nah it can still go. Load of rubbish.

No..I believe the 2nd season is where we judge it and more so the wisdom of the officials on and off the Field finding consistency and more

Sideline Monitor refs descisions....

I Don t understand Arteta,cynical big Club attitude...his Player went into a tackle...repeat..went into a tackle,

With a high straight leg,studs showing.... Red All day, even if he got a touch on the  ball, Plus players usual nice character doesn't come into it..

Many a nice boy,go into tackles without thinking...its irrelevant..!!

Pep...Klopp, Arteta,Mourhino,Ferguson,Wenger, always leave Nasty labels on players for the Next time, around small incidents....!!

So far Ole,Frank,Brendan,Don t seem to be that OTT cynical...on normal Play incidents....

Though I would of liked Brendan to of forced the question,and made a nuisance of himself  on Nachos disallowed goal...

45 minutes ago, RobHawk said:

What you are advocate is exact the way IFAB have advised the referees to use the system. The final decision must remain with the referee. However, the Premier League and PGMOL decided to ignore that. 

1 hour ago, RobHawk said:

I disagree - I believe the VAR reviewed it over and over and came to the conclusion that the on-field official made a clear and obvious error in not sending the player off. At this point, they likely said to the on-field official "we beleive you've made an error here and our verdict is red card - please review". The on-field official (as per the guidance) will go to the monitor - seen it twice and concurred with the VAR who has seen it 20 times, and the ref, who has now seen it for the first time since his view of it happening live.

Took a while but for me (without hearing the audio which would be fascinating) it worked fine.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Seen this, seems it is a formality that he has to go to the screen

21 minutes ago, jammie82uk said:

Seen this, seems it is a formality that he has to go to the screen

Is that a new ruling then, as in an modification of the rules/guidelines as to how it started out being used?

I don't remember the referee going to the monitor for Aubameyang's red card against Palace. Referee didn't initially give a red card. VAR looked at it and he was given a straight red.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yes N'Didi said:

I disagree - I believe the VAR reviewed it over and over and came to the conclusion that the on-field official made a clear and obvious error in not sending the player off. At this point, they likely said to the on-field official "we beleive you've made an error here and our verdict is red card - please review". The on-field official (as per the guidance) will go to the monitor - seen it twice and concurred with the VAR who has seen it 20 times, and the ref, who has now seen it for the first time since his view of it happening live.

Took a while but for me (without hearing the audio which would be fascinating) it worked fine.

Looks like your right looking at the post above, I hadn't realised the protocol tbh. 

I still stand by my point though that use of the monitor should be encouraged and the final decision be the referees.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StanSP said:

Is that a new ruling then, as in an modification of the rules/guidelines as to how it started out being used?

I don't remember the referee going to the monitor for Aubameyang's red card against Palace. Referee didn't initially give a red card. VAR looked at it and he was given a straight red.

I don’t know myself but I assume it must be as I have followed his account for a while and has always appeared to know his stuff about VAR