Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
That_Dude

Ayoze Pérez

Its a difficult one with him in terms of his best position but I think he did well enough in the lone striker role today.

If we want someone to play the Vardy role then we have to expect that player not to be involved too much until we are attacking. So when Perez was perceived to be 'missing' I dont think that was entirely the case as the important thing is getting into the right areas which he did for the goal.

Nacho holds things up a lot better though.

Just my thoughts but basically if Vardy's out we should play Perez up front for the weaker sides and Nacho for the better sides.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dr The Singh said:

Today cannot be judged.  He played against a lower level and did ok.  Against a prem team he would struggle.

True but it was the perfect match to test him out in a number 9 role.

I reckon he's done enough to get the nod ahead of Iheanacho up top if Vardy is rested / injured and we're playing some fodder.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dr The Singh said:

Today cannot be judged.  He played against a lower level and did ok.  Against a prem team he would struggle.

I agree

I’ve always let it be known I’m a fan of Perez. I watch how he plays, the runs he makes and the space he makes for other players

He’s a very unselfish player and I think Brendan appreciates this.

BUT I wouldn’t have Perez as a lone striker in the Premiership. I’m afraid he neither has the pace nor the strength to give top Prem defenders much of a challenge

He’s a number 10 for sure. If we didn’t have Maddison, I think Perez would be playing in behind Vardy most weeks 

• Like 2

I do like him, he can’t help the fee we signed him for or the positions the manager plays him in (striker, RW) rather than his favoured no.10 position and he works very hard every game. I truly hope it clicks for him at some point but similarly to iheanacho I just don’t think it’s with us.

The bottom line is that he is nowhere near as good as Vardy as a centre forward, nowhere near as good as Maddison in the 10 role and doesn't have the pace to play effectively as a right sided wide forward. So I don't see him ever being any more than a squad player for us.

Edited by Sunbury Fox
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

The bottom line is that he is nowhere near as good as Vardy as a centre forward, nowhere near as good as Maddison in the 10 role and doesn't have the pace to play effectively as a right sided wide forward. So I don't see him ever being any more than a squad player for us.

And squad players are good for us. 

28 minutes ago, Nalis said:

True but it was the perfect match to test him out in a number 9 role.

I reckon he's done enough to get the nod ahead of Iheanacho up top if Vardy is rested / injured and we're playing some fodder.

Sorry bud, I disagree. If we want to replace Vardy we need to go to the market.  He is not good enough.

6 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

Not a winger, not a lone striker, not very physical or aggressive enough but, gives of his best and is technically very good. He's a squad standby number 10 at best I think though even then, there would be an argument for others before him.

I'm not sure, he seems less confident but he has a similar attitude and reminds me of Albrighton. Works hard, competent, potential to be dangerous but doesn't always pay off. He think he's definitely at his best when he's able to drift and find pockets of space, whether that's on the final ball, or carrying it up in the 10 position. It's why he's often more dangerous late game when we've switched the system up a bit.

• Like 2

Strange, I thought he has a good game. He was coming deep into pockets to get space and when he did he played in our wide forwards which usually led to a good attack.

He showed great skills and touch which impressed me, not all strikers play the in behind role, he could play up top where his main role is to drop deep and set up others but obviously he’d want to score also because that’s all that seems to matter for most people. If he played in a system like this and we’re getting results then I would be more than happy.

Granted it was against a side in the championship but I seen enough signs that he is much better in this role that stuck out wide on the right wing. He can play the drop deep role, wonder if he could play it in the prem? That is the question for me.

Technically very good. Intelligent. Quite clear he’s not a number 9. But did he ok. Played more as number 10 which is his actual position. Scored with a great finish after a good team move. 

A very good player to have in the squad. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, StanSP said:

And squad players are good for us. 

The trouble is, he was signed for the first team and we very much paid a first team price.

In fact Perez is third on the list of all time record transfers after Youri and Fofana so no, being a squad player at that price is not good. It also means that at some stage we will have to buy yet again for that problem RH side.

Edited by murphy

1 minute ago, murphy said:

The trouble is, he was signed for the first team and we very much paid a first team price.

In fact Perez is third on the list of all time record transfers after Youri and Fofana so no, being a squad player at that price is not good. It also means that at some stage we will have to buy yet again for that problem RH side unless Under makes it here.

The price is not his fault and the right hand side problem is also not his fault considering that's not the position he played at Newcastle either? I don't think he was brought in solely as a right winger, but I could be wrong. To me, he was brought in to deputise and play as an attacking player, but more so centrally coming in from the wing. And recently he's improved since Rodgers seemed to have a little chat with him saying where he needs to be better and train harder. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

The price is not his fault and the right hand side problem is also not his fault considering that's not the position he played at Newcastle either? I don't think he was brought in solely as a right winger, but I could be wrong. To me, he was brought in to deputise and play as an attacking player, but more so centrally coming in from the wing. And recently he's improved since Rodgers seemed to have a little chat with him saying where he needs to be better and train harder. 

He was very much brought in to play RH side, Rodgers said so unequivocally.  He hinted at bringing in a £30-£50m wide player and after he signed he said that Ayoze was that player.  He has played inside forward rather than winger and played the majority of his Newcastle career on the RH side. 

I don't think that we are able to buy £30m+ players to sit on the bench or provide cover and Ayoze joins the list of players that failed on that RH side since Mahrez left.

As you say, his price tag is not his fault and it would seem that wide players are the most difficult positions to buy.  We are very fortunate to have a home grown one in Harvey Barnes.