Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
That_Dude

Ayoze Pérez

On 14/02/2021 at 04:58, Dan LCFC said:

On the pitch for 15 minutes and we won that 3-0. Never in doubt.

To be fair, Maddison mentioned that before the changes he struggled with only Vardy to aim at. After the changes and the Perez sub he had more options and we won the match.

I think what’s frustrating is that we have a player that can impact a game sat in the bench when Perez gets the nod. 

When we are hoping for a goal I’m not sure why Perez is the first option. It’s not like he offers more defensively either so clearly Brendan thinks he’s a better player.

Either we are missing something with under, or we are not seeing the best of Perez. Or perhaps a combination of the two 

Edited by Lambert09
  • Like 3

On 14/02/2021 at 18:49, Vardinio'sCat said:

Sick of people giving our squad players stick, especially if they are in and out of the side, or playing in a sub-optimal position for the benefit of the team. If Mendy, Perez, Albrighton, Amartey, Fuchs, Kel, Hamza, Thomas etc, had not given their best when needed we wouldn't be in such a good position.

They have kept us afloat this season, and will do so again.

As much as we all should appreciate the role of squad players (even of our regular starters), it should not preclude anyone on a DISCUSSION forum from calling out a bad performance when it occurs. The 'what' (ie, the performance) and the 'why' (any reason underlying same) are each legitimate topics of DISCUSSION. If anyone feels the need to add any context to the critique of a player, have it it Hoss - all part of the concept of DISCUSSION. Alternatively, one can always scroll on.

Meanwhile, as much as I actually appreciate Perez's effort, and has invariably lauded some of his past performances, the stark reality is that something seems to have gone off the boil with dude, and, to be brutally honest, his most recent performances (or lack therefore) has been almost uniformly ATROCIOUS! He could do much better, and I dearly hope that he turns it around soon (as it would be great for the team we all love and support), but no player should be deemed sacrosanct.

• Like 3

On 15/02/2021 at 00:49, Vardinio'sCat said:

Sick of people giving our squad players stick, especially if they are in and out of the side, or playing in a sub-optimal position for the benefit of the team. If Mendy, Perez, Albrighton, Amartey, Fuchs, Kel, Hamza, Thomas etc, had not given their best when needed we wouldn't be in such a good position.

I agree with this much of this post. Players like Hamza, Mendy, Amartey, Praet all play a huge role for us and I don’t like to see them unjustly criticised when they are playing an important role in tough circumstances.

Perhaps the ‘squad player’ point gets clouded with Perez when BR has dropped (rather than rotated) players like Albrighton or Kel to accommodate him. 

For me, Perez is a valuable squad player and a good option in a range of positions to help through a congested fixture list. However, I don’t feel we should have tried to build our attack around him as a false 9 and I think he has been selected ahead of others when his performances haven’t warranted it. I think it is fair to criticise players in such circumstances.

• Like 3

On 15/02/2021 at 08:18, Captain... said:

I agree to an extent, but Perez and Kelechi were bought for a lot of money and very rarely perform except in the odd game. They are not players I feel confident in, Nacho I think is a mentality thing and I believe he could still come good, but it's just not going to happen while Vardy is our talisman. Perez has had plenty of game time and opportunities and rarely delivered. I hope his injury is not serious partly because I want us to be able to sell him in the summer.

Kelechi only plays the odd game. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

I think what’s frustrating is that we have a player that can impact a game sat in the bench when Perez gets the nod. 

When we are hoping for a goal I’m not sure why Perez is the first option. It’s not like he offers more defensively either so clearly Brendan thinks he’s a better player.

Either we are missing something with under, or we are not seeing the best of Perez. Or perhaps a combination of the two 

I think that’s probably right @Lambert09. Rodgers wanted to play the last 20 with a 442 diamond. Perez was the only attack minded option available to him for that formation.

, assuming he wanted Barnes & Vardy up top.

Under? No way!

7 hours ago, NaijaFox said:

As much as we all should appreciate the role of squad players (even of our regular starters), it should not preclude anyone on a DISCUSSION forum from calling out a bad performance when it occurs. The 'what' (ie, the performance) and the 'why' (any reason underlying same) are each legitimate topics of DISCUSSION. If anyone feels the need to add any context to the critique of a player, have it it Hoss - all part of the concept of DISCUSSION. Alternatively, one can always scroll on.

Meanwhile, as much as I actually appreciate Perez's effort, and has invariably lauded some of his past performances, the stark reality is that something seems to have gone off the boil with dude, and, to be brutally honest, his most recent performances (or lack therefore) has been almost uniformly ATROCIOUS! He could do much better, and I dearly hope that he turns it around soon (as it would be great for the team we all love and support), but no player should be deemed sacrosanct.

I suppose it's a question of when criticism becomes abuse.

I'm not saying anyone is above criticism, not at all, that would be stupid.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kevin Russell said:

I agree with this much of this post. Players like Hamza, Mendy, Amartey, Praet all play a huge role for us and I don’t like to see them unjustly criticised when they are playing an important role in tough circumstances.

Perhaps the ‘squad player’ point gets clouded with Perez when BR has dropped (rather than rotated) players like Albrighton or Kel to accommodate him. 

For me, Perez is a valuable squad player and a good option in a range of positions to help through a congested fixture list. However, I don’t feel we should have tried to build our attack around him as a false 9 and I think he has been selected ahead of others when his performances haven’t warranted it. I think it is fair to criticise players in such circumstances.

Perhaps I've not been quite clear enough, I should have said abuse rather than stick.

It would be ludicrous to suggest criticising players is wrong, I'm disappointed my post came across that way.

On 15/02/2021 at 00:49, Vardinio'sCat said:

Sick of people giving our squad players stick, abuse, especially if they are in and out of the side, or playing in a sub-optimal position for the benefit of the team. If Mendy, Perez, Albrighton, Amartey, Fuchs, Kel, Hamza, Thomas etc, had not given their best when needed we wouldn't be in such a good position.

edited for clarity

19 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

...Rodgers is looking for a Perez 2.0!!!

Like Liverpool have versatile forwards Rodgers is looking to use that kind of skillset and Ünder does not fit that role but Perez is half way there already. 

4 hours ago, Bptiger said:

Rubbish Perez , has had heaps of chances to impress , but his laid back approach rubs must fan up the wrong way , he gets knocked of the ball , does not do enough work in defence either . This is not abuse it’s a hard cold fact 

His defensive stats are better than just about every other attacking mid/winger in Europe.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, blaaklint said:

His defensive stats are better than just about every other attacking mid/winger in Europe.

Like any stats, you have to question how exactly they are acquired because on the surface, those particular stats sound absolutely ridiculous. For a player, who we can observe with our own eyes, who regularly either gets dispossessed or otherwise gives the ball away, then one has to wonder regarding the criteria for the compilation and effectiveness of those stats. If he's the top player in Europe, then there must be some absolute duffers running around on our football pitches reminiscent only of the walking dead. If taken literally, upon what that statement infers, we must surely have a player on our hands worth in the region of £80m! I suggest we sell him ASAP in order to find our eventual replacement for Vardy. A good statistic for the replacement would be one that shows that he can kick a football into the back of a net.

• Like 1

It's difficult. On the one hand, I'm always a bit suspicious of such stats. On the other hand, I'm also highly sceptical regarding fans' ability to see only what they choose to see, and to be unaware of the cognitive biases/dissonances at work. The truth is probably somewhere in between.

DISCLAIMER - I'm not saying Perez is wonderful, and neither am I routinely slagging us/you all off.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, blaaklint said:

Fbref/Statsbomb. Percentiles are compared to other attacking midfielders/wingers in the Premier League, Bundesliga, Serie A, Ligue 1 and La Liga.

Screenshot_20210217-084243_Firefox.jpg

Intresting I've been recently wondering what the manager sees in him and I still do but it does go to show that the coaching staff are looking at players through a different lens to the fans. 

9 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

Intresting I've been recently wondering what the manager sees in him and I still do but it does go to show that the coaching staff are looking at players through a different lens to the fans. 

In my mind, the really interesting thing about Ayoze is that his attacking numbers are significantly worse so far this year than last year. Last season, they weren't exceptional by any means but they were certainly decent. This season they've dropped off a cliff.

https://fbref.com/en/players/819aa8e7/Ayoze-Perez

1 hour ago, volpeazzurro said:

Like any stats, you have to question how exactly they are acquired because on the surface, those particular stats sound absolutely ridiculous. For a player, who we can observe with our own eyes, who regularly either gets dispossessed or otherwise gives the ball away, then one has to wonder regarding the criteria for the compilation and effectiveness of those stats. If he's the top player in Europe, then there must be some absolute duffers running around on our football pitches reminiscent only of the walking dead. If taken literally, upon what that statement infers, we must surely have a player on our hands worth in the region of £80m! I suggest we sell him ASAP in order to find our eventual replacement for Vardy. A good statistic for the replacement would be one that shows that he can kick a football into the back of a net.

For sure, you have to take stats with a pinch of salt and be discerning about what they actually say. As long as you're careful, they're still very useful to dig a bit deeper into what a player actually does on the pitch.

I'm not suggesting Perez is world class by any means, just that he has a very particular skillset which is quite helpful to the rest of the team.

• Like 1