Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
That_Dude

Ayoze Pérez

Good performance yesterday but it's worth remembering his last 3 goals are against this woeful sheffield side, he needs to prove it against better teams before he can move past the previous criticism. That being said im actually optimistic he can kick on from here, he played really well alongside vardy and iheanacho yesterday and i cant see why that cant continue against better opposition, we seem to have found a role for him.

1 hour ago, FoxOnWheels said:

If this was his consistent standard of performance level he wouldn’t receive stick only he can control that he’s shown he can be more than useful

.. we are judging him in a position that he does not often play!!!

He has been ridiculed for the performances he has turned in previously but for a long time the call was to get him playing centrally. It has taken us a long time and only due to a lack of options he now gets the opportunity to play in a position that suits him.

• Like 1

Hope he plays the same position and role more, just so we can make a more informed judgement, but good stuff yesterday Ayoze, keep it up. :scarf:

Coming back from injury and to play as he did yesterday most certainly deserves credit. I always find him to be a useful player and I'm happy he put in a great performance.

Worth trying that formation again, the 2 strikers were creating space for him to shine, but he was getting swarmed the moment he received the ball.

Of all the players who play well its Ayoze that's most pleasing getting the praise.

He's never come close to Mahrez on the wing but its clear that being behind the striker centrally is his best role.

His best performances and goals have come against the bottom half sides. He hasn't made much of an impression against the likes of Liverpool,Man Utd or Man City. It's where Ricardo for example built his reputation on after good shows against the bottom half sides in late 2018.

Without Maddison and or Barnes its a chance to show what he is capable of.  1 goal every 3 games would be ideal.

47 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

.. we are judging him in a position that he does not often play!!!

He has been ridiculed for the performances he has turned in previously but for a long time the call was to get him playing centrally. It has taken us a long time and only due to a lack of options he now gets the opportunity to play in a position that suits him.

Agree with you he’s definitely not a winger although I’d also say sometimes it’s not even been a case of where he’s playing he’s just be slow on the ball, not very threatening and too easily dispossessed 

For me he is our 1 true alternative option to Maddison, working best between the lines. Although they have a slightly different skill set they should be effectively in competition with each other to play the role behind the striker or strikers. That’s his best role in the team IMO and it’s when he’s asked to do something that he’s not built for that he gets stick from fans. He has bags of quality, is a great finisher and he tackles back but he’s not got the pace to play wide or the strength to be a main striker. It’s great that we have two people that can play the role as well as Praet who can also do a job there amongst other positions in midfield. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

I pushed myself to be available today because of the injury, I knew I wasn't 100 per cent, but I had to be on the pitch and help my team-mates.

I think some fans need to realise this may have happened with other players too. Fortunately Perez, so far to our knowledge, has come through unscathed but perhaps other players haven't been so lucky. So before they constantly point the finger at Rodgers regarding injuries, maybe it's down to the player and how they feel, and then if they do get injured again in the game its on them, not anyone else... 

As a long term critic I think it is important to stand up and say well played Ayoze.  I wish I were big enough not to add caveats but you can't have everything. 

I don't usually rubbish the opposition but I'm going to this time.  I'm going to rubbish Sheffield Untied because they were...well...rubbish.  Wretched in fact.

Anyway, it was a good performance from Perez, really well taken goal and I particularly enjoyed the tackle which led to one of the goals (I forget which one). We just need to see this against opposition that actually turns up and more often.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, StanSP said:

I think some fans need to realise this may have happened with other players too. Fortunately Perez, so far to our knowledge, has come through unscathed but perhaps other players haven't been so lucky. So before they constantly point the finger at Rodgers regarding injuries, maybe it's down to the player and how they feel, and then if they do get injured again in the game its on them, not anyone else... 

...so long as the manager and his staff are aware of the players condition, the buck stops with the manager!!!

11 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

People really reluctant to praise, its quite hilarious! lol

If you are quick to condemn, you should be equally as rapid to praise, and that does not have to mean doing so through gritted teeth  

I agree, we have to be balanced and give credit when it's due. 

But we have to take the opposition into consideration. Sheffield United are the worst team to come here in god knows how long. It was like playing a mid table Championship team. Perez has 2 league goals this season - both against Sheffield United. He needs to up his game . 

Iheanacho gets proper credit because he's been on it for the past month now. 

• Like 3

I still like Perez. He has good technique, good vision especially around the box and good feet. After giving him the benefit of the doubt for some time though, he does appear to fall down a bit too much. Like Maddison has, hope he can improve on this and unlearn the falling over tendencies that he must have picked up during youth training in Spain.

Edited by Tom12345
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dan LCFC said:

Sunday his best game for us other than the 9-0 I'd say.

4-1 win against West Ham at home last season he had a good game. But yeah I agree, unfortunately his great games are few and far between.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

This continues to be the #PraiseThroughGrittedTeeth thread right now.

Gat's got true!

In all seriousness, I've heard these triumphant 'I told you sos' before, when Musa scored at Everton. 

Perez had a good game but that on it's own doesn't excuse 18 months of insipid mediocrity and it doesn't somehow mean you were right all along.  Let's see him follow it up and make telling contributions regularly like Barnes, Maddison and Vardy do and not just against Sheff Utd or Stoke.  Then I'll go the full hair shirt, self-flagellation route.  We all want the same thing here after all and It's actually no fun being the bad guy.

Edited by murphy
  • Like 1