Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Caglar Soyuncu emerges as new cult hero at Leicester City

On 30/09/2019 at 00:34, TimT said:

If you still couldn't get it, here is the breakdown of his name.

Çağ-lar Sö-yün-cü  

First name has two and last name has three syllabuses.

First syllabus: "Ça" is pronounced "Cha" as in betcha, getcha, dontcha, to which you also add a soft ğ which is likened to the sound of "gh" in weight, light. So the first syllabus would be pronounced as "Chagh"

Second syllabus:  "lar" is pronounced "lar" in the noun "lark" but you do pronounce a strong "r" as in American pronunciation. In other words, "r" is not silent.

So the first name would be pronounced as Chagh-lar.

Last name: The sound of " would be "ir," as in sir...and "ur" as in surf, turf, turn, Kurt...and "ear" in earth. Thus, the first syllabus "Sö" sounds like "si" in Sir, or "su" in surf,  and no "r" or it's silent.

The sound of "ü" is like "eww," or the sound of "ü" in german words führen, führer, Schüler, über, stück, erfüllen. The turkish letter "c" sounds like "j" in jack, john, james, jacob. So, the last syllabus "cü" would be pronounced like "jew" short for jewish but "w" is silent.

Hence, the pronunciation of "Sö-yün-cü" would be  Si(r)-yewn-je(w). The letters r and w are silent. 

Lastly, try to say it quickly. In other words, you do not need to put much stress on each syllabus of the first name and the last name as if you are taking a quick pause after each syllabus like you'd be doing with your toddler when you try to teach them the words "ma-ma" or "pa-pa." It's not "pa-pa-raz-zi," but more like "paparazzi."

Hope it helps.

I am fluent in Turkish. 

Does this mean his shortened nickname should be 'Shags' instead of 'Cags' ?

I was nicknamed Shags by my foreman because of my really big feet and skinny legs......aaaah memories !

Edited by easilee
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, murphy said:

Dunno but Harvey Barnes said that he often gives him a dig when he passes.

That would get very old, pretty quickly for me.

I doubt he’s hitting him hard enough to fold him over. I’d imagine the younger lads like Maddison and Barnes appreciate a tough centre half like Caglar in the side. 

Obviously I could be wrong and Barnes (and his broken ribs) detest the bloke. 

13 minutes ago, Shane said:

We should sign his CB compatriot Demiral. Was available in the summer & not getting a look in at Juve.

Evans is really good though. Not just for his footballing skills but for his experience. I was very impressed with what he said (and probably what Brendon wanted) at the start of the season about Soyuncu. We're lucky to have a young squad but even luckier to have the experience and personality of players like Evans.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

Evans is really good though. Not just for his footballing skills but for his experience. I was very impressed with what he said (and probably what Brendon wanted) at the start of the season about Soyuncu. We're lucky to have a young squad but even luckier to have the experience and personality of players like Evans.

I agree, was thinking more about the need for strength in depth. Will need to bring in atleast 1 CB I think as surely Wes retires at the end of the season and it's still unclear how Benkovic will turn out. 

On 02/10/2019 at 17:16, Shane said:

I agree, was thinking more about the need for strength in depth. Will need to bring in atleast 1 CB I think as surely Wes retires at the end of the season and it's still unclear how Benkovic will turn out. 

Depending on how his season goes, I don't mind the look of Godfrey at Norwich, who's had a couple of decent performances in a very weak team defensively particularly against Man City, they're likely to be relegated so we could probably pick him up for cheap, and he's in the England setup as well. Not to mention he'll have had a full season of PL football under his belt by the end of the season so we should be able to see if he's any good at this level before buying him.