Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Caglar Soyuncu emerges as new cult hero at Leicester City

Said it last season but he's to much of a bomb scare for me. I said something along those lines last season. He wouldn't even get in the side if all defenders were fit.

Far too close to Antonio who was too strong for Soyuncu.

We seriously miss Evans. Evans does so much for Soyuncu and Fofona.

The 3rd goal for me was championship stuff. Not even that; big man with his back to goal turning onto his favoured foot, that's something you'll see in pub football or your local 5-a-side, it's a classic. Antonio is very strong and powerful but it's such naive and weak defending from Cags. 

By contrast, look at how other teams' CBs bully our players when they have the ball. Not a moment's peace and they're so aggressive, there's no way West Ham would have let our forward turn in the box like that. Different physical attributes obviously but still, it's like watching dads play against their kids sometimes. 

1 hour ago, drumbeat said:

Was there any call from Kasper for that ill-fated back pass? Sure, Cags shouldn't have played it blind but Kasper came out and I wonder if any call was made.

It was a torrid night for both Cags and Amartey last night.

Pretty standard for a keeper to make an angle in the way Kasper did after a call.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, kingfox said:

There’s a reason why I was clamouring for an experienced CB to play alongside him, yet many deluded folk shut me down.

Without Evans, Soyuncu instantly becomes a potential weak link, a month ago some fans were saying, we’d be ok without Evans, Soyuncu is an experienced defender now.

Soyuncu has never shown leadership qualities for us, if anything he still shows immaturity and naivety. We’ve seen it numerous times, especially at the back end of last season, plus at the Euros.

I can’t remember which poster said it the other month, but they were spot on.

Soyuncu is the type of defender who needs his hand holding by a more experienced CB.

This. He needs a commander organiser as still naive and has tendency to dive in. He's much improved from when he came but the impact of losing Evans is huge

11 hours ago, ARTY_FOX said:

No good with big Dan. But he is with Evans and fofana. Everyone's allowed a bad game. He's still young for a centre back really. Yea we lost but let's keep some perspective

Perspective??   

You sure you're on the right forum....?!?  :huh:

• Like 1

Wow, he was one of the hero last week and a few hundred people are ready to hang him and drag his corpse on the streets of the Liecester this week.

No benefit of the doubt or recognition of his previous service.

Yes. He was really bad but we should have some standard when it comes to judging performances. 

I thought we were better than other f.ckwit EPL teams.

Maybe we are bloody not....

51 minutes ago, kiwiturk said:

Wow, he was one of the hero last week and a few hundred people are ready to hang him and drag his corpse on the streets of the Liecester this week.

No benefit of the doubt or recognition of his previous service.

Yes. He was really bad but we should have some standard when it comes to judging performances. 

I thought we were better than other f.ckwit EPL teams.

Maybe we are bloody not....

You can not defend that horror show from him last night.  The same thing happened against Newcastle, Bournemouth etc.  He does not handle pressure or leadership well.  Amartey was far better than him last night which is not saying much.  He needs to stand up and be counted.  He is an international defender ffs.

It was not just Cags who had an off night last night though. Far too many passengers last night.  I couldn't get to sleep as I was so wound up by the shocking performance.  No leadership. No one kicking anyone's arse and no one driving the teams performance up.  Far too passive against a team who gives their all. Absolute shambles and embarrassment.  I can take losing but the manor of the defeat was so disappointing.

37 minutes ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

You can not defend that horror show from him last night.  The same thing happened against Newcastle, Bournemouth etc.  He does not handle pressure or leadership well.  Amartey was far better than him last night which is not saying much.  He needs to stand up and be counted.  He is an international defender ffs.

I know it's trotting out a cliché but if Cags didn't have flaws, he'd be playing at a bigger club than Leicester. I mean, every footballer has weaknesses but in our case it'll usually be even more so because we're never likely to hold on to truly world class footballers for that long.

Cags is particularly quick for a centre back, he's brave, he's got good technique, he's strong in the tackle. But he's got flaws - like you say, he's poor under pressure and he generally needs a steadying influence like Evans next to him to keep him in check.

Vardy's a pretty poor dribbler and his passing is very average, Ndidi is technically poor on the ball, Tielemans is fairly slow, Barnes is fairly one dimensional in possession, Madders is extremely lightweight, Iheanacho has the first touch of a trampoline, Justin's defensive awareness leaves a lot to be desired. You could go on forever.

At the end of the day, this is a team sport, there's a reason it's such a challenge to build a truly balanced squad. You consider all of these and you try to offset someone else's weaknesses with the strengths of another. Evans is slow but Cags is fast, Cags is rash and impulsive but Evans is experienced and calm. Maddison, Tielemans and Ndidi have lots of contrasting talents but together they make a balanced midfield.

I don't think anyone can argue we've built our success on intelligently engineer a squad with a lot of balance, a lot of compensation for the flaws in the kind of players we're able to obtain. But what are the club meant to do when we're struck by a freak spate of injuries? We're not Man City, we can't put together a deep squad full of world class, near faultless players in near every position.

This is just the reality of supporting a club of our stature. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I know it's trotting out a cliché but if Cags didn't have flaws, he'd be playing at a bigger club than Leicester. I mean, every footballer has weaknesses but in our case it'll usually be even more so because we're never likely to hold on to truly world class footballers for that long.

Cags is particularly quick for a centre back, he's brave, he's got good technique, he's strong in the tackle. But he's got flaws - like you say, he's poor under pressure and he generally needs a steadying influence like Evans next to him to keep him in check.

Vardy's a pretty poor dribbler and his passing is very average, Ndidi is technically poor on the ball, Tielemans is fairly slow, Barnes is fairly one dimensional in possession, Madders is extremely lightweight, Iheanacho has the first touch of a trampoline, Justin's defensive awareness leaves a lot to be desired. You could go on forever.

At the end of the day, this is a team sport, there's a reason it's such a challenge to build a truly balanced squad. You consider all of these and you try to offset someone else's weaknesses with the strengths of another. Evans is slow but Cags is fast, Cags is rash and impulsive but Evans is experienced and calm. Maddison, Tielemans and Ndidi have lots of contrasting talents but together they make a balanced midfield.

I don't think anyone can argue we've built our success on intelligently engineer a squad with a lot of balance, a lot of compensation for the flaws in the kind of players we're able to obtain. But what are the club meant to do when we're struck by a freak spate of injuries? We're not Man City, we can't put together a deep squad full of world class, near faultless players in near every position.

This is just the reality of supporting a club of our stature. 

Agree but it was not the defeat, it was the manor of the defeat which infuriated me so much.  There is no excuse for being passive and that does not just apply to Cags.

There needs to be be some that take more responsibility on the field and kick some arse in to shape when we are as sloppy as we were.

He needs to man up a little.  Strong in the tackle sometimes but too easily bullied when things start going against him and too many mistakes like that pass back last night. We were down to 10 men yes, but the passive nature was happening before the red.

Edited by Zaphod Beeblebrox
  • Like 1

When I saw Lukaku play on sunday I thought "it's OK, Cags will deal with him when we play them", i.e. spend 90 minutes battling and with the new attitude / rules that forwards can get away with a bit more physical stuff it was going to be a tough task. Seeing him get so easily skittled by Antonio last night has me bricking it now, I also remember on the final day of the season at one point Kane had Soyuncu and two others grabbing him and still managed to continue his run, dragging them along with him like some kind of Jonah Lomu. It's as if Popeye hasn't had his spinach sometimes or are we confusing physique with strength and wanting too much for him to be agile and good on the ball and a solid rock at the same time? 

Regarding the **** up last night I'm sure you see Thomas and Barnes both point up-field, basically saying we're marked but get some distance on it up the line and he chooses not to. The guy who gives it away will always get the blame but where were his other options, who wanted it other than advising to hit it long? 

Ndidi has to drop to CB next game if Vestergaard can't play. We desperately need someone playing CB how can break the lines with a forward pass. Ndidi needs to temporarily slot in there similar to what Fernandinho has done for Man City. He has also been defensively solid there in the past.

Usually when Ndidi isn't playing CM we lose too much as a team. However, I think Soumare needs to be given a chance, maybe he will be able to cover the void when Ndidi isn't in midfield. He's going to have to do it during the AFCON and he won the league last year with Lille playing in that position.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, eblair said:

He’s fine. Playing with Amartey under BR asks way too much of him. Has to pass like Evans, break line like Fofana and be the senior CB.

Amartey not been bad but asks way to much of cags to do

Seeing this excuse being wheeled out a fair bit for Soyuncu. He did absolutely none of the things listed above.

Amartey was not a particular problem yesterday, in fact, Amartey succesfully played the ball into our midfield far more than Soyuncu did.

Soyuncu has been a bomb scare since his return from injury last season, with and without a senior partner alongside him, in a 4, and in a 3. Yesterday was just another example of it. 

Edited by martyn
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, eblair said:

He’s fine. Playing with Amartey under BR asks way too much of him. Has to pass like Evans, break line like Fofana and be the senior CB.

Amartey not been bad but asks way to much of cags to do

Another poster excusing him because he's too busy 'looking after Amartey', which is just a projection of their own dislike for/distrust of Dan.

Only one of our centre backs passed or pushed through the lines last night, and it wasn't the one who apparently 'has to' but didn't seem particularly keen to try. Perhaps BR asks too much of him because he's not particularly good at either?

• Like 1

Cags was poor last night, and hasn't been at his best for some time, but unless he's injured then I think he starts. Other than the obvious 'what other options have we?' he's still one of the best options we have. And besides, he ain't that bad. He's got stuff to work on (concentration for one, casualness for two) but he's no duffer. He'll learn.  

Cags always gets rattled by Antonio. It happened last season as well. 

I think one of the reasons that vestegaard came in, is because with Fofana out we lack aerial dominance and strength at the back.

Antonio on form can make most cbs look poor though. And he was good enough against Wolves.

• Like 1

I can't cut Soyuncu the slack I can someone like Thomas. Thomas is still only 20 withour much experience.

Soyuncu's 25 now, he's not a kid anymore. He's got over 100 appearances in big leagues in Europe and more than half of those in England. We cannot treat him like he's some 19 year old we just bought from Peru.

I'm rapidly losing faith.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ts_1010 said:

Cags always gets rattled by Antonio. It happened last season as well. 

I think one of the reasons that vestegaard came in, is because with Fofana out we lack aerial dominance and strength at the back.

Antonio on form can make most cbs look poor though. And he was good enough against Wolves.

Vestergaard would have made no difference to the threat Antonio posed last night!

Plus a bit of humility now and then wouldn't go amiss ..particularly when he royally f**** up..this hard man of defence..show no weakness bulls*** is a bit old...I noticed the turkey side he was part of in euros didn't look set to pull up trees either