Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
WhatTheSchlupp?

Things Maddison has to do to get in the England team

Aside from scoring a hattrick every week or having pictures of Southgate in a compromising position, what on earth does Maddison have to do to get in the england side?

Clearly being in very good form for a year and a bit, and being behind only messi for chance creation doesn’t quite cut it for Southgate. Lingard (a player with awful stats), Mount (a player with 4 pl appearances) and Ross fvckin Barkley are all ahead of Maddison, yet none of them would even get in our team in Maddison’s position. 

So what more does Maddison have to do to convince a manager who seemingly thinks that stats, form, media and public opinion, and common sense are all about as overrated as Maddison?

More goals and assists for us. Eventually Southgate will look like an idiot and lose his job.

Actually I don't give a shit. Happy that he's rested and injury free and ready to go again for us.

Marry into Southgates's family? Kidnap his dog and trade it back for a cap? Southgate is better than Hodgson in many ways, but some of his decisions make literally no sense. Even my Chelsea supporting friend agrees that Maddison is better than Mount AND Barkley and would start for England if he played for Chelsea.

'Big team' bias is the only way I can explain him choosing Lingard in the squad, bringing on Oxlade-Chamberlain even though he hast played in months, and putting inferior Chelsea players in front of Maddson. Maybe he's just keen to win over the large fan bases of those clubs and sees no reason to annoy them by picking Maddison, regardless of the fact that he deserves to play.

If I was him I'd ask Southgate if he actually in his plans, and if he doesn't get a firm yes, he should just declare for Ireland. Southgate is so incompetent ffs

• Haha 2

It's obvious Southgate doesn't seem to see him in his sort of team. 

It's like the hesitancy of previous managers not wanting to select Matt Le Tissier, Frank Worthington, Tony Currie, Stan Bowles, etc. Creative (or luxury players) are seen as a luxury to the England team, and Southgate is following their negative approach.

Plus, like the above names, he doesn't play for Man Utd, Arsenal, Spuds, Man City Liverpool or Chelsea.

6 minutes ago, m4DD0gg said:

Top6 team sadly. 

Been that way for decades now and isn't likely to change any time soon. 

Pickford, Chilwell, Keane, Rice and technically Sancho all started last night and don't play for big 6 clubs. In Keane's case he kept Gomez of Liverpool out the team. Maguire was a regular whilst he played for us.

Southgate doesn't like Maddison. Doesn't see him as his type of player, he's said as much in the past.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, majaco said:

It would be interesting if Maddison and Freakish had a chat and both decided to play for Ireland.  Instantly, the Irish would be a different proposition. 

I’m assuming “Freakish” is Grealish?!? 

The Irish aren’t a mad team. Ultimately though, both players identify as English. 

18 minutes ago, m4DD0gg said:

Top6 team sadly. 

Been that way for decades now and isn't likely to change any time soon. 

True but even if we finished in the top 6 this year, the establishment won't accept us as a proper top 6 team. A bit like when we won the Premiership by 10 clear points, we didn't really win it, it was just down to all the other establishment teams having a bad year.

• Like 2

Could boil down to where he fits in? Will he work with Kane? To be brutally honest I haven’t really paid much attention to what the formations were and how England set up as I’ve watched both games from about 30 minutes in. But are England currently set up to allow Maddison to flourish? It’s quite clear Maddison is at his best given a free role in and around the strikers. In time he will get a chance to show what he can do for England, being part of the squad will do good for his confidence!