Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
WhatTheSchlupp?

Things Maddison has to do to get in the England team

40 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Pickford, Chilwell, Keane, Rice and technically Sancho all started last night and don't play for big 6 clubs. In Keane's case he kept Gomez of Liverpool out the team. Maguire was a regular whilst he played for us.

Southgate doesn't like Maddison. Doesn't see him as his type of player, he's said as much in the past.

This is spot on. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bert said:

This is spot on. 

Agree

add hoddle to that list of England talents who never payed enough for their country ........

until the manager decides he needs a v different plan b, madders won’t get a look in. Ali and Lingard back next month too.  we need JM playing the way we want him too - if Southgate wants him to be something different then he could become caught between two ways of playing to our detriment .........

All this pressure by the fans is doing him no favours because if and when he eventual gets a game they'll be so much pressure on him to live up to the reputation, standards and influence he's supposed to have that unless he out performs everyone on the pitch he'll be targeted by the media and the other half of fans not clamouring for him to be in the team.

This drive to get him in means there's a good chance he's heading for a fall.

I feel sorry for the guy not because he's not been picked but for all this he must play pressure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

Agree

add hoddle to that list of England talents who never payed enough for their country ........

until the manager decides he needs a v different plan b, madders won’t get a look in. Ali and Lingard back next month too.  we need JM playing the way we want him too - if Southgate wants him to be something different then he could become caught between two ways of playing to our detriment .........

This.

Lets not blow smoke up.... england beat the mighty kosovo 5 3.... in a game littered with mistakes.  We qualify well then play crap in the tournament.  Because he is tring to play a system that requires players with a bit of guile to open up the bulig teans (even at this level we have lots of set piece goals).  Southgate needs some different players. ..

I would seriously drop kane... he was peripheral amongst stirling sancho rashford etc.  Henderson. ..naa. even rice and mount look like dummies.  To stand a chance against Germany france spain Italy etc (or even sweeden croatia and Wales )  we need a team made up of players other than his foster bros dummies.

Edited by foxinsocks

1 hour ago, shailen said:

From a selfish point of view, if he does not play for England then it could mean we keep him for longer. 

Or have the opposite effect if he thinks he needs to be at one of these favoured "glamour clubs". Can't call them the top six anymore because at least one of them won't be at the end of the season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shailen said:

From a selfish point of view, if he does not play for England then it could mean we keep him for longer. 

Eh? Surely if he has ambitions in that direction it'll mean he feels he needs to move to a "big" club in order to be taken seriously by England?

• Like 2

If Southgate is playing 2 midfielders like Henderson and Rice at home to Kosovo then technical creastive players are always gonna struggle to get a game. There's basically him, Barkley and Mount all going for that other spot. 

He's just got to keep his head up, keep doing what he does and enjoy his football. Wouldn't hurt him to add other aspects to his game, or make himself the best at what he does in an England shirt. It'll come eventually.

Problem is that he's now been part of 3 squads and not made an appearance.

This only really happens if you're 3rd or 4th choice goal keeper or something.

Who was the last player to be part of 3 squads and not play? I don't know but it's got to be a rare thing. 

So now if he does make an appearance he'll be under so much pressure from himself, the media and fans that he's unlikely to perform to his ability and this will be used as a stick to beat him with.

It's poor man management by Southgate here.

I’m not that fussed that he didn’t get a game for England, fully fit and raring to go at Old Trafford, his time will come and I’m sure he knows that himself, I think he would be a massive star in the Republic of Ireland team but equally so if the England hierarchy pick him. 

Under Gareth Southgate I don't think Maddison will ever be a main man, he just doesn't fancy him and I think even views him (incorrectly) as a luxury player. Even if Maddison played for Liverpool or Man City, I don't think it would help his cause. I think we saw with the system used last night that he wants a Liverpool style of system where the front 3 can do what they want and the midfield 3 are "shuttlers" / work horses that get the ball to that front 3. Ross Barkley's place is the one that could be up for grabs but at Leicester the player that plays in the most similar position to that is Youri Tielemans, and he isn't English!

If England were struggling to make clear cut opportunities then he might have more of a chance, but England are in a state where they dominate the weaker teams and only struggle against the top teams. That front 3 last night will carve open almost anyone other than the top teams

I really hope I am wrong as Maddison is the best creative English player I've seen since Le Tissier or even Gazza. I would say that even if he didn't play for us! He isn't as good as some other youngsters - Sancho and Foden are better. But he does things that literally no other English player can do in terms of passing and chance creation. The problem is I feel you either build your team around him or you don't bother. At Leicester even if Maddison plays on the left wing he's given full licence to drift around into spaces and is often given Hamza to protect him to allow him to do this and I can't ever see him being given that opportunity for England. Therefore they are never going to be setup to best use his abilities and thus I don't ever see him being an integral part of the setup.

• Like 2

Matt Le Tissier amassed 8 caps for England. Despite regular calls from the media and fans for inclusion. If you’d have had social media in the 93/94 season, it would have gone in to meltdown.  In between 92 - 95 seasons, he scored 60 goals in 110 league appearances. 

• Like 1

I do think Maddison is seen as arrogant by Southgate and others in the England set up. There is a fine line between arrogance and self confidence and he sometimes crosses it, but so what? There is this perception in England that arrogance is a bad thing and that we must all be humble and meek and put the team first.

Fvck it, who is the most arrogant footballer of modern times? Cristiano Ronaldo, he's not had a bad career. Arrogance/self belief are so important in making it in elite sport otherwise doubt creeps in and you start doubting yourself and over think things. I really hope his England experiences do not affect Maddison's confidence as that is why he is such a good player.

24 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Under Gareth Southgate I don't think Maddison will ever be a main man, he just doesn't fancy him and I think even views him (incorrectly) as a luxury player. Even if Maddison played for Liverpool or Man City, I don't think it would help his cause. I think we saw with the system used last night that he wants a Liverpool style of system where the front 3 can do what they want and the midfield 3 are "shuttlers" / work horses that get the ball to that front 3. Ross Barkley's place is the one that could be up for grabs but at Leicester the player that plays in the most similar position to that is Youri Tielemans, and he isn't English!

If England were struggling to make clear cut opportunities then he might have more of a chance, but England are in a state where they dominate the weaker teams and only struggle against the top teams. That front 3 last night will carve open almost anyone other than the top teams

I really hope I am wrong as Maddison is the best creative English player I've seen since Le Tissier or even Gazza. I would say that even if he didn't play for us! He isn't as good as some other youngsters - Sancho and Foden are better. But he does things that literally no other English player can do in terms of passing and chance creation. The problem is I feel you either build your team around him or you don't bother. At Leicester even if Maddison plays on the left wing he's given full licence to drift around into spaces and is often given Hamza to protect him to allow him to do this and I can't ever see him being given that opportunity for England. Therefore they are never going to be setup to best use his abilities and thus I don't ever see him being an integral part of the setup.

I don’t know how you can say Foden is better tbh, if we had Foden I really don’t think he’d displace Maddison in the starting 11. Sancho may be a better player in some respects but can’t be compared really as he plays in a different position.

59 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

Problem is that he's now been part of 3 squads and not made an appearance.

This only really happens if you're 3rd or 4th choice goal keeper or something.

Who was the last player to be part of 3 squads and not play? I don't know but it's got to be a rare thing. 

So now if he does make an appearance he'll be under so much pressure from himself, the media and fans that he's unlikely to perform to his ability and this will be used as a stick to beat him with.

It's poor man management by Southgate here.

Its seems to me that Southgate is channeling his inner Hodgson. Remember when the whole world seemed be demanding Kane was taken off set pieces, it was like Hodgson thought ‘I’m the england manager, and I can’t back down and give in to outside pressure no matter what’ and just stuck with it. Same with Sarri when everyone said to get kante in the right position. Southgate is just showing the same intransigence, it’s like it’s a matter of principle that his decisions in no way can be altered by outside pressure no matter how logical. That or he genuinely believes he’s right in thinking Maddison is shyte and everyone else has just been hoodwinked by a phase of ok form. The funniest thing is when you speak to Man Utd or Chelsea fans they all say Maddison would walk into their team ahead of Lingard, Mount and Barkley, yet Southgate is blind to anyone else’s opinion but his own, which is based on nothing but the fact that the badge on Maddison’s blue shirt is the wrong one.

Guest An Sionnach

Very few Leicester players have had long International careers , Shilton and Lineker got most of their caps with other clubs. What matters most to players these days is playing for a top club team , If Leicester become that then joining the so called top 6 won't happen . Apart from Liverpool and Man. City we should believe we can beat anybody. The so called experts think we can , so now we need to prove it.

Most international teams that win things have a mix of grafters and flair players. This applies to midfield as much as attack and has, in some cases, even been true of defence. We will win nothing with only a good frontline. Southgate can wear his waistcoat and be just another nearly man all he likes. Without some actual bravery, vision and dealing with players he might not like too much he won’t get anywhere beyond disappointment. 

You dont have to like like a player to see they are good. I bloody despise Ronaldo, but he is one hell of a player. 

• Like 2