Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
WhatTheSchlupp?

Things Maddison has to do to get in the England team

2 hours ago, Sly said:

I’m assuming “Freakish” is Grealish?!? 

The Irish aren’t a mad team. Ultimately though, both players identify as English. 

You are quite right.  I am now going to do some swearing at predictive text.  I wasn't even trying to take the piss out of Grealish.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Pliskin said:

Could boil down to where he fits in? Will he work with Kane? To be brutally honest I haven’t really paid much attention to what the formations were and how England set up as I’ve watched both games from about 30 minutes in. But are England currently set up to allow Maddison to flourish? It’s quite clear Maddison is at his best given a free role in and around the strikers. In time he will get a chance to show what he can do for England, being part of the squad will do good for his confidence!

IMO someone sitting behind the strikers was exactly what we were missing most of the time. The midfield tended to sit too deep and/or wide...

2 hours ago, shailen said:

From a selfish point of view, if he does not play for England then it could mean we keep him for longer. 

Actually think this is the opposite and it would force him to consider leaving us for a 'Top 6' team so he can get in the England squad.

1 hour ago, Captain... said:

I do think Maddison is seen as arrogant by Southgate and others in the England set up. There is a fine line between arrogance and self confidence and he sometimes crosses it, but so what? There is this perception in England that arrogance is a bad thing and that we must all be humble and meek and put the team first.

Fvck it, who is the most arrogant footballer of modern times? Cristiano Ronaldo, he's not had a bad career. Arrogance/self belief are so important in making it in elite sport otherwise doubt creeps in and you start doubting yourself and over think things. I really hope his England experiences do not affect Maddison's confidence as that is why he is such a good player.

I wonder what Southgate would have said had Maddison played and taken a dink penalty in the way he did in the shoot out v Newcastle. Not sure he would have approved.

Takes a brave manager to back off and give flair players their freedom on the pitch...ie  Matt Busby with George Best and Bobby Robson with Gazza..seems that managers nowadays  are under too much pressure and just want players who stick to a safe system

8 minutes ago, drofmor55 said:

I wonder what Southgate would have said had Maddison played and taken a dink penalty in the way he did in the shoot out v Newcastle. Not sure he would have approved.

Takes a brave manager to back off and give flair players their freedom on the pitch...ie  Matt Busby with George Best and Bobby Robson with Gazza..seems that managers nowadays  are under too much pressure and just want players who stick to a safe system

He probably wouldn't like it. I think ultimately the frustration is why put him in the squad if you're not going to play him. If he's not your sort of player don't pick him. 

There's a perception of Maddison from outside Leicester that he's simply a number 10 who plays behind the striker, whereas anyone who's watched him regularly since Rodgers took over can tell you that he's far more than that. As seen against Bournemouth, he's often at his best as a number 8 alongside another creative midfielder (Tielemans) where he can dictate the game and roam.

England might not play with a number 10 but they sure as hell play with two number 8s in front of a defensive midfielder. For some reason, Southgate thinks Barkley and Mount can play there but Maddison can't. I think if Rodgers persists with the Ndidi-Tielemans-Maddison trio (as he bloody well should) then that perception of Maddison will change. 

• Like 1

jMaddison will just out perform,the other hopefulls,then even  the Bias Media ,will Force the issue....

Look!!! Before we start creating nonsense platforms....

Alf.Ramsey,our only WCup winner..!!!  Other fan respected English managers,even famous Top Club managers, often fail to

Click with the wide spread opinions of fans.On who "should" be in the team,and who shouldnt!!!

Look at History as far as England are concerned..

K.Weller(including Time at Chelsea) F.Worthington,S.Bowles, Rodney Marsh ,LeTissier,Ron(chopper) Harris, H.Kendall,Billy Bonds

Paul Davis,jimmy Case, Noble,.S.Whitworth, etc..etc. Either Never played,or just a few games..Would we have wonn the World cup with Jimmy Greaves.!

I always said if G.Best had been English,he wouldnt of seen an English-shirt...

33 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

This just isn't true and sounds a bit paranoid. Whilst Maguire was at Leicester he often got in ahead of Smalling (United), Jones (United), stones (man city), Gomez (Liverpool) and Cahill (Chelsea). 

And Chillwell since breaking into the team has got in regularly ahead of Shaw (United), Rose (Tottenham) and young (United) and Delph (man city).

If a player is good enough and fits into to how Southgate wants the team to play he will play.

Lost me with this example Maguire and Chilwell got in ahead of those you have compared them to because they are better than them. What people cannot grasp is why Maddison did not feature and Ross Barkley did playing the 2 games. Hopefully Southgate had a quiet word and explained why he did not get on otherwise really poor man management and if you don't rate someone or they do not fit into your style of play why waste everybody's time picking them in the first place. |In fairness to Barkley he did get an assist after 35 seconds

• Like 1

Don't see the tragedy in Southgate leaving us a fresh, motivated Maddison for an important match at Old Trafford.

More concerned about Evans who looked wasted, and a little shell-shocked, after playing next to Cathcart behind a sieve of a midfield Monday.

1 hour ago, The whole world smiles said:

This just isn't true and sounds a bit paranoid. Whilst Maguire was at Leicester he often got in ahead of Smalling (United), Jones (United), stones (man city), Gomez (Liverpool) and Cahill (Chelsea). 

And Chillwell since breaking into the team has got in regularly ahead of Shaw (United), Rose (Tottenham) and young (United) and Delph (man city).

If a player is good enough and fits into to how Southgate wants the team to play he will play.

Do you reckon if Mount played for us or Wolves for example he would have been picked in the England team after a few prem games? 

Even Rashford? I’m sorry but he’s so overrated it’s unreal, if he played for a team outside the top 6 he’d be nowhere near.

The reason all the players you mentioned don’t get in the team anymore is because they had their chance (earlier than any of our players) and proved to be useless, with the exception of maybe Gomez

Edited by dylanlegend
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Improve his shooting? Honestly I don't know. 

He's:

More creative than Mount

More experienced than Mount

Better on the ball than Mount

Similar workrate to Mount

Similar off the ball to Mount

According to the Manager, Mount is already the finished article and Maddison is still a work in progress. :rolleyes: :nigel: