Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
purpleronnie

POST MATCH: Leicester City 2 Tottenham 1

There were so many decisions in that match which puzzled me. Just what is the point of VAR?

Sissoko's dangerous tackle on Maddison looked a clear red but not even reviewed by VAR.

Soyuncu at a corner was clearly held around the neck by a defender and the ref gave a free kick against him. Perez had the same situation at another corner. Again, no VAR in either situation. Both were clearly in view of the officials but they were ignored. 

Then two 'goals' which were marginally offside are disallowed. 

Today we are talking about VAR decisions instead of a 3-2 win.

I bet MOTD spent longer talking about VAR than they did showing the highlights of what was a decent match. 

In my view, VAR is a huge backward step. It's actually reducing the quality of referees.

10 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

You don’t think Man City will control the game at our place for 70% of the time min?   love it if you’re right but I have my doubts.

I just don’t think anyone will come

here and dominate us. 

They’ll definitely win the passing though 😂 

5 minutes ago, ThaiFox said:

There were so many decisions in that match which puzzled me. Just what is the point of VAR?

Sissoko's dangerous tackle on Maddison looked a clear red but not even reviewed by VAR.

You do realise that they review lots of things as the game is going on.   The sissoko tackle would have been looked at whilst the ref was sorting out the melee that followed .......

• Like 1

1 minute ago, st albans fox said:

You do realise that they review lots of things as the game is going on.   The sissoko tackle would have been looked at whilst the ref was sorting out the melee that followed .......

The referee booked Sissoko.

Therefore it couldn't be reviewed under VAR rules as a red card offence.

This I find very strange.

2 hours ago, stu said:

The referee indicated it was for offside after the check, as he did with Spuds’s ‘goal’.

TBH, from L1 it looked clear from my position that Son was offside and I was confident that the goal would be overturned. I was surprised they took so long to disallow it at the game, but even more so at the image they used to disallow it as that makes it looks so tight. Like I say from my position it was a clear offside.

I agree, from K1 also Son looked far more offside when the ball was played through than it does on that VAR still image - everyone around me said ‘offside’ as soon as the ball was passed. There was daylight in real time at full speed - seems weird that their final image shows it as being so tight. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, lcfceaves said:

But this kind of proves my point... it was still in the wrong place... this technology was brought in to stop glaring errors (i.e. Cardiff Chelsea goal last season where Chelsea player was miles offside). 

Mans yes as I said we won and how we responded after that was fantastic, but I just cannot get my head around that goal being ruled out... the game changed on it and no one is really that sure it was the correct decision 

.... and no one is really sure it was the correct decision.

Well, I am, and i'm sure many others feel the same.

7 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Thank you. I'm not even vaguely offended by that tackle. As several people said he slipped, and he's not even trying to catch Maddison.

I know I'm still living in the 80's when it comes to tackling, but I thought it was a bloody good challenge to win the ball.

Just now, Izzy said:

I know I'm still living in the 80's when it comes to tackling, but I thought it was a bloody good challenge to win the ball.

I was expecting something malicious or aggressive - it was neither, and I don't like Sissoko much either, so I was quite prepared to slag him off. As per usual, people allow their bias to get the better of them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Complete version below, taken from the Premier League website:

image.png.c16d88c448da01bf7b440993e5796863.png

So, from the looks of it, much of the way in which the VAR is implemented can still favour the so-called big clubs.

I don’t think that’s saying what you think it is. I think it’s just emphasising that players are not allowed to ask for a review. I’m pretty sure VAR themselves are allowed to check whatever they want and bring it to the refs attention as long as it falls within their remit.

20 minutes ago, ThaiFox said:

Soyuncu at a corner was clearly held around the neck by a defender and the ref gave a free kick against him. Perez had the same situation at another corner. Again, no VAR in either situation. Both were clearly in view of the officials but they were ignored. 

I bet MOTD spent longer talking about VAR than they did showing the highlights of what was a decent match. 

In my view, VAR is a huge backward step. It's actually reducing the quality of referees.

In no universe was Sissoko's tackle a red. He caught the ball first, and its not like his studs were flying around at knee height he stayed low to the ground. Reckless, even dangerous? Yes. But a yellow card was fair. The free kick against Soyuncu was not necessarily the right decision but it definitely wasn't worthy of a penalty, they were both going for each other, Soyuncu more forcefully even imo. Ref was just ok, I don't really see the issue with him.

Sure, VAR is being used kind of stupidly. But I don't think yesterday was exactly a shining example of it used incorrectly. Marginal offsides may be against the spirit of the game, but that's not a problem with VAR, that's a problem with the rules. Their 4k Ultra HD monitors ruled Son offside and Perez was clearly offside as well even on the shitty 560p playbacks they offer to the public.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, ThaiFox said:

Imo it doesn’t work. Yes the technology homes in on the minutest detail that can be analysed to the nth degree but the whole point is to clear up an obvious mistake. Our goal was an obvious mistake  so it got that right, although the Lino should have spotted a player a yard offside anyway, their goal wasn’t a clear and obvious mistake so it was wrong. Although it benefited us it was still 50% wrong! And that’s pretty crap. All the talk of tolerances is still pointless as there is still a line, that I assume would be bigger to allow for discrepancies, and it’s the edge of the line that would then be up for discussion 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Nicolo Barella said:

In no universe was Sissoko's tackle a red. He caught the ball first, and its not like his studs were flying around at knee height he stayed low to the ground. Reckless, even dangerous? Yes. But a yellow card was fair. The free kick against Soyuncu was not necessarily the right decision but it definitely wasn't worthy of a penalty, they were both going for each other, Soyuncu more forcefully even imo. Ref was just ok, I don't really see the issue with him.

Sure, VAR is being used kind of stupidly. But I don't think yesterday was exactly a shining example of it used incorrectly. Marginal offsides may be against the spirit of the game, but that's not a problem with VAR, that's a problem with the rules. Their 4k Ultra HD monitors ruled Son offside and Perez was clearly offside as well even on the shitty 560p playbacks they offer to the public.

Reckless and dangerous are punishable these days with a red. 

1 hour ago, ThaiFox said:

The referee booked Sissoko.

Therefore it couldn't be reviewed under VAR rules as a red card offence.

This I find very strange.

Not sure, but I think it can. 

Hamza was booked v France in the U21's and a penalty given. 

Then VAR instructed the ref to give a red. 

Just to add. Is there a better feeling than seeing your club come back from a deficit, and then winning the game? Especially against a club like Spurs.

Can't get annoyed anymore about VAR, it's getting to Brexit levels. But at least I can enjoy a great victory from the Foxes. Here's to many more!