Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

Newcastle (H) Pre Match

Watching them play Brighton, I'm reminded how awful it was playing them under Benitez and I'm not convinced they've changed a lot. 

This will be maybe the first major test of progress this season. Forget Chelsea, United and Tottenham - we've been comfortably taking points of the "big" clubs since we got back in the Prem. 

These are going to park every vehicle from the North East next Sunday. We're going to have to have grown. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

They offer very little except for dogged resistance. We'll either get an early goal and stroll to victory, or labour to a 0-0.

That's the problem though isn't it, dogged resistance is our kriptonite. 

Think it'll genuinely be a really, really hard game for us unless we're fortunate with an early goal. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Corky said:

I think Benitez and his coaching was a huge part in their two wins recently and also Perez scored in both and looked lively and that particular threat has gone.

As ever, an early goal will help. I think we'll have enough.

They've definitely got a lot, lot less going forward this year that's for sure. 

11 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

That's the problem though isn't it, dogged resistance is our kriptonite. 

Think it'll genuinely be a really, really hard game for us unless we're fortunate with an early goal. 

We will get by them I reckon. Brighton have threatened a few times and they aren’t a team with an electric forward line are they.

this a terrible game though lol 

• Like 1

If Ndidi can basically cover the counterattack of Spurs, a team orders of magnitude better than Newcastle (yes yes haha Newcastle beat them, Newport beat us too shit happend) he can cover Newcastle. Sit Evans on Joelinton and they've got nothing.

Schmeichel

Ricardo Evans Soyuncu Chilwell

Praet Ndidi Tielemans

Barnes

Perez Vardy

• Like 1

This will be a very big test of completely different proportions to Spurs and Man United. We played a full strength team against them in the cup and it took us penalties to get past them, plus they have come to the KP and won two seasons in a row now.

I think we will win though. Today Rodgers made some good changes at around 60 minutes going to a 442 Diamond. He had Barnes (yes really) and Vardy up front, Maddison in behind and then Praet and Tielemans. Width was provided by the full backs and Ricardo got the goal, showing you just how far attacking the team was setup at that point. I'm not sure we will start that way, but now we have that in our locker, it's something we can use if they play their deep low block and we can't break them down. That setup is great against a team that will cede possession and is focused on shutting up shop as we have two people up front plus runners from midfield at all times.

I think the game will be frustrating, tough work and a real challenge, but the way we are playing I think we will break through in the end.

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Like 2

Interesting that this thread hasn't been removed - not that I think it should be - before the last league cup game I opened a thread for the PL match and it was taken down. Ah it's Finnegan's thread -  Mark's inner circle that doesn't exist.

This really is a must win, hopefully by a big margin.

An early goal for us would help.

Perez hat-trick in a 7-1 victory

team almost picks itself:

Kasper

Ricardo

Evans

Soyuncu

Fuchs

Choudhury

Tielemans

Maddison

Perez

Vardy

Albrighton/Barnes

No negative players

Attack, attack, attack

This is the type of game that will indicate whether we have improved or not.

You know what to expect from Newcastle, they'll try and make it tough and hopefully do us in with a smash and grab, exactly like last season.

I'd like to see us get a nice comfortable win but I wouldn't be surprised if it's 1-0 either way, we slipped up in so many games like this last season which makes me slightly nervous for this one.

As for the team if Maddison is out then I'd like to see either Perez or Praet in the number 10 role, Barnes and Albrighton on the wings :thumbup: