Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
RonnieTodger

UEFA Conference League Starting 2021

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Europa_Conference_League

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/uefa-europa-conference-league-third-competition-europa-champions-explained

Sounds absolutely pointless and probably the first step to ring-fencing the Champions League. England only get one spot anyway.

Edited by RonnieTodger

We are taking the opinion from fans of an English club team. 

For teams from lesser nations, it's an important trophy which gives them a competitive shot. 

The worst symptom however will be that it will make teams from those countries even stronger. For example, the likes of Celtic and Rangers will get more money and widen the gap between them and the rest. 

46 minutes ago, Walkers said:

So none of you would be interested in us participating?

would be a slight step above a decent pre-season tour somewhere. be a bit of fun for those who want an away piss up, but we would play the youth and nobody would bat an eyelid if we won or lost. 

51 minutes ago, Walkers said:

So none of you would be interested in us participating?

From what I can tell, there aren’t actually any extra European places on offer. They’re reducing the Europa League to 32 teams and it’s still Carabao Cup winners / 7th who get into this.

absolutely pointless tournament 

23 minutes ago, RonnieTodger said:

From what I can tell, there aren’t actually any extra European places on offer. They’re reducing the Europa League to 32 teams and it’s still Carabao Cup winners / 7th who get into this.

absolutely pointless tournament 

Europa League is being reduced from 48 to 32 to match format of CL.

This new competition also holds 32 teams, therefore an extra 16 teams from lower nations will get in.

I actually think this is a decent idea. People probably moaned about the CL and EL over the years so it's no different. Change is not always bad.

It would be nice to see a League winners and Cup winners competition like the old days but I guess it dilutes the quality of those competitions. Man City vs the winner of Luxembourg's league may not be the most interesting match...

I have said it before -- Bring back the Cup Winner's Cup, but make it concurrent with the other competitions, so you could win a European double. If you remove cup winners from the Europa League, that frees up 55 (!) spots under the current format - that's a lot of teams from smaller countries.

The idea I think is to give the champions of places like Malta, Finland, Andorra, Kosovo a tournament to play it because they always get knocked out early in the Europa League qualifiers, imo it's a decent idea but top ranked league's like England, Spain and Germany shouldn't have teams in it.

• 2 years later...