Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Dirkster the Fox

Dennis Praet

20 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

OK, as soon as I posted I regretted not saying 'in my opinion'. I agree we looked ok for the first 15, but when the goal came we were already getting cut open. I take your points, but I do think that Praet has more tactical and positional nous than Maddison currently, plus I also think that Maddison isn't 100% match fit either.

I try to avoid confirmation bias so I'm probably going too far in arguing against my own call, which matches yours. I'd rather Praet had started over Maddison. 

Liverpool were so good yesterday I'm sneakily pleased we didn't have a full team out, because I suspect we still wouldn't have got a result. That thought for me puts into perspective any idea I had pre-match of Praet as a 'game changer'.

As you've just pointed out in another thread (and as I did too in the post match one, albeit in a much more pithily amusing way) as big as the gap was, it's one game, and on that's been a banker loss for every team for over three seasons.

Edited by turtmcfly

1 minute ago, turtmcfly said:

I try to avoid confirmation bias so I'm probably going too far in arguing against my own call, which matches yours. I'd rather Praet had started over Maddison. 

Liverpool were so good yesterday I'm sneakily pleased we didn't have a full team out, because I suspect we still wouldn't have got a result. That thought for me puts into perspective any idea I had pre-match of Praet as a 'game changer'.

As you've just pointed out in another thread (and as I did too in the post match one, albeit in a much more pithily amusing way) as big as the gap was, it's one game, an one that's been a banker loss for every team for over three seasons.

Precisely. Wise words.

6 hours ago, Mark said:

If that's his position then his numbers suggest he's not very good at it.

Who will be carrying the ball forwards and offering a counter attack threat which was needed last night? Neither Praet or Maddison have any pace and are not suited those positions behind Vardy especially if they are both starting. I could only see it working if we had Ricardo and Castagne back as they are direct like Barnes. You can't just pass and hope for a breakthrough as we've done the last two games. We seem to be drifting away from what we're good at with this back 5, too many square pegs in round holes isn't helping.

...significantly nothing was going through midfield and any kind of control we could exert went out of the window!!!

Youri had a poor game, and I hope it is not the start of him playing like a pub player for the next 10 games. It seems to happen every season.

8 minutes ago, SecretPro said:

People still moaning about how poor our midfielders were at Anfield? Of course they were poor, we bypassed them, we literally bypassed our best players and decided to play hoofball and let Albrighton literally lump everything in to the stands.

....Liverpool forced us to go wide, good tactics from them, we just did not know how to react!!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...significantly nothing was going through midfield and any kind of control we could exert went out of the window!!!

Youri had a poor game, and I hope it is not the start of him playing like a pub player for the next 10 games. It seems to happen every season.

Fortunately for us we play a Pub team next in the PL..'The Full Ham and Eggs Arms'

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Hales said:

Fiorentina are looking to sign Dennis according to Italian media. Hands off! 

Have Fiorentina got enough money to prise him away? Could they massively improve his current wages? If not, why would he want to leave a team 4th in the Premiership and into the knockout stages in Europe for a poor outfit 4th from bottom in Serie A? If he's really intent on leaving, he's got a much better shop window in Leicester City until the end of the season at least. 

17 hours ago, Hales said:

Fiorentina are looking to sign Dennis according to Italian media. Hands off! 

They were rumoured to be after him in the summer just gone. I seriously doubt they could afford him. Besides, with Maddison out of form, Praet could nail down a place in the best XI quite easily.

• Like 1

Praet is such a great all around player. The only one better is Ricardo. Both have attacking skill and can defend. Be interesting to see as we start hitting the gears again, with the addition of Under, how the ball will move down the RS of the pitch. Some of my best memories of last season were watching Ricardo and Praet give and go down the pitch at what seemed like Lightning speed.

12 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

He warrants starting atm he is a solid player

He's been starting and we've been losing, left out against Sheffield Utd and we click back into gear. It hasn't helped playing him in an advanced position which he doesn't suit but we have better players elsewhere. Maybe with two wingers either side of him will work better as against AEK but he simply can't be taking up one of those wide forward positions.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Mark said:

He's been starting and we've been losing, left out against Sheffield Utd and we click back into gear. It hasn't helped playing him in an advanced position which he doesn't suit but we have better players elsewhere. Maybe with two wingers either side of him will work better as against AEK but he simply can't be taking up one of those wide forward positions.

I think him and Tielemans play well together with Nididi back behind then I think we look good, I see what your saying though we do have other players that could offer a more attacking threat like Perez, Maddison I think they all can be rotated but he does give us a good balance and allows Teiemans more freedom going forward 

I think he works better with Youri than Madders. With the amount of games though it's fair to expect that both will play regularly. I think last season something was off with him and Brendan and it seemed he was getting frustrated at sitting on the bench or being subbed. That seems over and done with now and he seems happier and more settled. It takes some players longer to settle than others.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Hales said:

I think he works better with Youri than Madders. With the amount of games though it's fair to expect that both will play regularly. I think last season something was off with him and Brendan and it seemed he was getting frustrated at sitting on the bench or being subbed. That seems over and done with now and he seems happier and more settled. It takes some players longer to settle than others.

I don’t think we’ve seen anything close to the best of him yet. Too many nondescript performances. Probably needs one exceptional display to really get him going. Thursday was definitely a step in the right direction.

• Like 2

One of the most popular phrases on here this season is 'if tielemans doesnt play well the team doesnt play well' that wasnt the case last year when maddison was playing, tielemans had plenty of bad games and we still pulled through. Aston Villa this year is why praet shouldnt be starting over maddison, tielemans was off his game and praet was absolutely invisible, resulting in our midfield getting overrun. Squad player at best nothing more, we need maddison on the pitch otherwise we collapse if tielemans has an off game.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

He's tidy enough but I think he's overrated from a few on here at the moment. 

He really needs to improve the final ball when he finds himself one on one with the full back, because nine times out of ten they block it. Which wouldn't be the end of the world if we were a threat from corners, but it's a shame when we've got players like Vardy and Barnes making good runs.

• Like 1