Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Dirkster the Fox

Dennis Praet

30 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

That is his problem, people notice flash, not steadiness and keeping things ticking over. He is a good player.

This! He isn't flashy like Madders but is more consistent and a work horse. With Youri and Ndidi you will see the best of him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Praet is a quality player, unselfish and hardworking, always looking for pockets of space to move forward into. The footballing connection earlier on in the season with the other Belgian players, was breathtaking at times. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Praet is a classy footballer but he really needs to be playing week in week out, to see the best from him. Unfortunately for him, we have players ahead of him who are stronger in their specific roles. Praet is a strong all rounder and I'm happy we have players of his quality on the bench. Just hope we can give him enough game time to stay sharp and keep him motivated and happy here. Mendy is in the exact same position, but benefited from N'didi's injury and what a player he is, when gets a run of games! Get everyone back fit and add a striker in January, and we have a top notch squad! :scarf:

• Like 4

1 minute ago, STUHILL said:

Praet is a classy footballer but he really needs to be playing week in week out, to see the best from him. Unfortunately for him, we have players ahead of him who are stronger in their specific roles. Praet is a strong all rounder and I'm happy we have players of his quality on the bench. Just hope we can give him enough game time to stay sharp and keep him motivated and happy here. Mendy is in the exact same position, but benefited from N'didi's injury and what a player he is, when gets a run of games! Get everyone back fit and add a striker in January, and we have a top notch squad! :scarf:

Stu... this is how I feel too. Parents time will come.  As actor dixon tram we need a great squad.  My arsenal mate would kill for mendy or praet. 

I think amarty is there too.  When he got a run (before  dates acn) he was very good... we know how hard he works and if we are to play 3 CBs we will need at least 5.

Hamsa also. 

My worry is at cf.... we should have hired welbeck on pay to play... nb. Costa is free!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, foxinsocks said:

Stu... this is how I feel too. Parents time will come.  As actor dixon tram we need a great squad.  My arsenal mate would kill for mendy or praet. 

I think amarty is there too.  When he got a run (before  dates acn) he was very good... we know how hard he works and if we are to play 3 CBs we will need at least 5.

Hamsa also. 

My worry is at cf.... we should have hired welbeck on pay to play... nb. Costa is free!

Costa is off his rocker! Could see him causing a punch up at the new training ground in his first week lol

I don't think anyone foresaw Welbeck actually managing to stay injury free for so long! 

I was very impressed Amartey. Hamza still worries me a little with how rash he is, but he has enough raw ability to work with for sure.

Not often we have been in the position to say we are potentially just 1 signing away from being a very strong squad. Could always do better, but for a club with our resources, I am chuffed with how we have developed on and off the pitch. 

3 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

Do not understand that argument, Praet was not there to replace Maddison- that was Perez’s job. :unsure:

Praet was on the right, so he replaced  Albrighton, who Brendan said needed a rest as he was almost dead from his efforts against Man Utd.

It wasn’t in reference to yesterday’s game, just a general observation regarding the relative qualities of two attacking midfielders. Praet has played at the point of the central triangle for us and I feel as an attacking cm he is less creative than Maddison. My point was in reference to earlier posts in the thread comparing Maddison and Praet. Hopefully you understand now.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kevin Russell said:

It wasn’t in reference to yesterday’s game, just a general observation regarding the relative qualities of two attacking midfielders. Praet has played at the point of the central triangle for us and I feel as an attacking cm he is less creative than Maddison. My point was in reference to earlier posts in the thread comparing Maddison and Praet. Hopefully you understand now.

Thanks, I get it now and agree.

18 hours ago, bmouth_fox said:

I agree. He played some lovely passes and his vision. He’s also excellent off the ball. Very clever footballer. 

It's not surprising that Praet is the most underrated player on the side, because if you don't understand the game on a fundamental level his contributions are easy to miss.  Not flashy even with the occasional ridiculous pass (like the long ball on Monday), just quietly effective.  He could easily have had two assists in the first half against CP if Vardy had been out there instead of Kelechi.

• Like 3

He's our one central midfielder who regularly makes runs ahead of the strikers; his off the ball movement is excellent. He is also very accomplished on the ball.  But I just get the sense that he is increasingly fed up of always being the one hooked when things aren't going well for the team.  

Edited by Sunbury Fox
  • Like 4

He's a tidy player and good technician. But I'm just not certain what his best role is in a midfield. I don't think he has the 'spark' enough to be classed as a real attacking mid. But conversely he's not a defensive midfielder either. I wonder whether he falls somewhere in between. But this will inevitably restrict his game time. 

You can see he is getting frustrated at getting subbed continually, it's clear on his face. He even got subbed for Vardy. Yes Vards needed to come on but I don't understand why it was Praet again that was taken off? Perez should have been pushed forward and Kel taken off? I hope there is clear dialogue between him and Brendan otherwise morale and confidence can drop. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hales said:

Yes Vards needed to come on but I don't understand why it was Praet again that was taken off?

Because he was playing number 10 and watching the game go by as usual, Iheanacho dropped back behind Vardy albeit for 5 minutes.

6 minutes ago, Mark said:

Because he was playing number 10 and watching the game go by as usual, Iheanacho dropped back behind Vardy albeit for 5 minutes.

Kel wasn't doing anything? He was the worse player so should have gone off. Perez pushed forward with Vardy. Praet made crosses and a brilliant cross field pass.  Kel couldn't get on the end of anything. If he had then Dennis would have had assists.  You don't like him, that's fair enough but you can't ignore what happened?

12 minutes ago, Hales said:

Kel wasn't doing anything? He was the worse player so should have gone off. Perez pushed forward with Vardy. Praet made crosses and a brilliant cross field pass.  Kel couldn't get on the end of anything. If he had then Dennis would have had assists.  You don't like him, that's fair enough but you can't ignore what happened?

I don't disagree, Iheanacho was dreadful as he is in the majority of PL games, but I can see the thinking behind dropping him behind Vardy to see if anything came of it.

1 hour ago, Sunbury Fox said:

He's our one central midfielder who regularly makes runs ahead of the strikers; his off the ball movement is excellent. He is also very accomplished on the ball.  But I just get the sense that he is increasingly fed up of always being the one hooked when things aren't going well for the team.  

As well he should be.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

As well he should be.

Why? Let's see when he's been taken off before around 70 minutes.

Palace 66' - 0-1, equalised after substitution, 1-0.

Fulham 45' - 0-2, won the second half 1-0.

Braga 45' - 1-2 down at HT, won the second half 2-1.

Leeds 63' - 2-1 up but Leeds were right back into the game, this change allowed us to regain control and finish 4-1 winners.

Arsenal 60' - 0-0 but lucky given the amount of chances they'd missed, don't think we'd even been into their half. subbed off for Vardy changing the game in our favour.

Villa 68' - 0-0, poor game from start to finish which we went on to lose.

I'm not going on anymore but it was a similar theme last season. Now apart from the Man City game which I look at as a one off given his job was mainly to contain in a wide right position, we tend to struggle more often than not when Praet starts game resulting in early substitutions.

1 hour ago, Marshall Cockney Fox said:

He's a tidy player and good technician. But I'm just not certain what his best role is in a midfield. I don't think he has the 'spark' enough to be classed as a real attacking mid. But conversely he's not a defensive midfielder either. I wonder whether he falls somewhere in between. But this will inevitably restrict his game time. 

I think this is the problem. 

Our system just doesn't really to seem to fit him I don't think. At least not in a position that really suits him. He's not a wide player naturally, but he won't displace Youri or Madders in our best 11. He is probably most similar to Maddison, but they are quite different players and Maddison, as off as he sometimes can be, you always think has the potential to create something out of nothing with a half turn past a player, a quick ball to Vards or a shot from distance.

I think ideally, Praet and Youri next to each other in front of Ndidi, as opposed to Ndidi and Youri with Madders in front, would work quite well. I don't think Brendan would do it though.

Edited by ajthefox
  • Like 1

People dont get that the reason some dont rate praet is not because he doesnt do flashy stuff, he almost assisted a goal the other day and almost scored which is pretty flashy. The reason i dont rate praet is if you watch him his fundamentals are off, his positioning to make himself available for passes in the middle third is the worst out of any of our midfielders and that's why he drifts out of games, yes he does make some decent runs behind the opposition backline that might go under the radar but if you have praet on the pitch you always have the risk of the game running away from you. He's fine against weaker opposition who we should dominate easily or stronger opposition which we sit back against but against the middle teams where we need to consistently stamp our authority on games his lack of midfield presence can cost us.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I always thought Praet played more as a holding midfielder or similar position to where Tielemans plays when playing for Sampdoria. Has he ever actually played in this position for the club I'm not so sure and against Palace I think he should have played alongside Mendy, with Perez ahead of them.

• Like 1

On 29/12/2020 at 08:40, RowlattsFox said:

We just don't play a formation or style that particular suits him, he's a central midfielder in a bog standard 433 for me, almost like a Wijnaldum or Henderson in the Liverpool side. He's always been a signing that didn't really fit. 

He has his moments but he isn't a number 10, his creative moments come from runs from deep. I like him, I like his attitude, good work rate etc and he'll try whatever he is asked to do but we just don't suit him. He's a good squad player but I don't think he'll be happy with that for too long. 

...why on earth would he be deployed as a number 10!!!

Another stupid decision by Rodgers for the Palace game, playing him out of position. If Tielemans is out he should be replacing him with Praet in that instance not dropping square pegs in round holes. I like Praet, he brings a lot to our game, we just do not give him the opportunity to shine, in a position that suits him, that's on us, not him.

Rodgers just not brave enough to take players out and give someone else a chance as he is just too conservative and unwilling to make the big decisions when needed. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1