Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Dirkster the Fox

Dennis Praet

1 hour ago, honeybradger said:

One of the most popular phrases on here this season is 'if tielemans doesnt play well the team doesnt play well' that wasnt the case last year when maddison was playing, tielemans had plenty of bad games and we still pulled through. Aston Villa this year is why praet shouldnt be starting over maddison, tielemans was off his game and praet was absolutely invisible, resulting in our midfield getting overrun. Squad player at best nothing more, we need maddison on the pitch otherwise we collapse if tielemans has an off game.

Almost as if... Praet didn't play that match

• Haha 4

10 minutes ago, nwl fox said:

I don't agree with @HoneyBadger but he's right Praet definitely did start that match, he was subbed off after 68 mins. The whole team was off that day though so not sure why praets being singled out as the issue

Might have gotten it confused with West ham tbh😂. But yeah it's weird he's blaming the whole team for that

I still find it a bit hard to judge Praet.

Maybe he suffers from being good/competent in many aspects of his play but lacks that bit extra to really stand out, or define himself a role in the starting xi

He hasn't ever really had a sustained run in 1 position. Even when he started this season well he got the knee injury and it took him out of his rhythm. He has a good engine, awareness and football brain, but his quality sometimes doesn't quite match what the brain sees.

AEK the other night was a good example - he got in behind with runs from deep numerous times, and whilst he always (admirably) tried to pick someone out rather than put just put the ball into an area, he invariably had his pull backs blocked. Lack of speed? a bit slow sorting his feet out? Who knows, but that final action is often what lets him down a bit.

Think he is probably best in a 4-3-3 as playing a box to box role and keeping the ball moving, but hard to see him holding down a regular role in that system given Rodgers clearly prefers Maddison as a player.

Edited by martyn
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We just don't play a formation or style that particular suits him, he's a central midfielder in a bog standard 433 for me, almost like a Wijnaldum or Henderson in the Liverpool side. He's always been a signing that didn't really fit. 

He has his moments but he isn't a number 10, his creative moments come from runs from deep. I like him, I like his attitude, good work rate etc and he'll try whatever he is asked to do but we just don't suit him. He's a good squad player but I don't think he'll be happy with that for too long. 

Edited by RowlattsFox

He was great the first few games back but then got the knee injury and hasn't quite got to the levels before. Maybe that's confidence, lack of playing time or he isn't ever played in the same position. He plays best alongside Youri but Madders always seems to get the call not him. I think he needs some game time to improve but will that happen? Madders will always be Brendan's first choice.  I like him, he works hard and seems to fit in with the team well. I fear he will get frustrated at lack of game time though. There were clearly tensions last year. I hope he gets his chance as there are games where he is more suited than Madders. He certainly clicks better with Youri.

Edited by Hales

Hes a good squad player. If he was better than that he wouldn't sit in the bench at Leicester City. His performance are up and down. Some days he is passive and not involved, but other games he does contribute

He is a bit of a meh player but we are blessed in his position so he's not really a priority.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, frany104 said:

Not really sure what he offers. He’s just ok at all areas. Shouldn’t be in the first 11 for me as we have better player in all 3 positions.

What does first 11 even mean anymore? this the chaotic and close schedule .... so europa games coming thick and fast.. we need a pool of 20 or so players  that need to be considered the ‘first 11’ so that we can try and give a top performance every game..

You’d have them out in wheelchairs at this rate!

9 minutes ago, Steve Earle said:

Agree with others that he’s not a 10. Trouble is he’s not a 4/6 either. He was excellent in our start to the season when Maddison was unavailable, but he’s looked like a fish out of water for a while now.

Not sure how we fix this, but he’s far too good to be written off.

I hope he gets a bit of Brendan's time and advice like Perez and others have had. He was brilliant the first few games that Madders was out and before his knee injury. He seems to have lost his identity a little and maybe is lacking confidence. He is too good to be written off I agree!

• Thanks 1

He’s a decent player. Only issue with his game is he isn’t playing enough to get any real consistency going, when he gets a string of games he is often one of our key players. I would love to see a 4-3-3 in the absence of Madders with him Youri and Wilf in the Centre of the park. I think we could cause some serious damage in a 4-3-3 with a decent wide right player with some consistency. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Did absolutely fvck all yesterday I’m sorry.

Gladly reuse all the invisible man jokes that people used to put on Kingy for this guy. Walked off the field blowing as well, after being completely invisible.

One of the performances that truly fvcked me off yesterday.

• Like 2