Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Koke

Liverpool (A) pre match

Just now, Tom12345 said:

I meant to play Maddison further forward but your point is fair.  If I have to choose, given what we saw last game, I may slightly prefer to keep Praet and have Maddison on the bench if he is fit. Thoughts?

Praet's more combatative style might be useful in this game, and Maddison would be a good threat from the bench. But Maddison creates so much. It's a tough choice. Part of me sways towards Maddison has I think we need to give them something to worry about rather than only worry about them.

Can imagine TV executives pondering why they didn’t have this game down as one that should be on TV.

Fancy the biggest top of the table clash of the season so far being played at 3 o’clock on a Saturday!

Team selection will be interesting - wonder if Rodgers has a surprise up his sleeve? 

6 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

The people that think we're going to just attack Liverpool and throw the sink at them aren't form this planet surely. 

Last year at Anfield we parked the bus and got a really credible draw. 

I was the first to moan about Hamza and Ndidi both starting at Old Trafford but it wouldn't be a bad idea to do it here at all. 

A draw would be a very, very good result. 

Preach Finners 

I'd love a draw.  Problem is starting Ndidi and Choudhury and inviting them to come at us for 90 minutes (or more likely until whatever minute Rodgers bails on it because it's failed yet again) isn't the best way to get one.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Not for me. As that means pushing Maddison out of the midfield three, which IMO doesn't work. We have a selection headache and that's good. Only 2 of Tielemans, Maddison and Praet can start and only one of Ndidi and Choudhury. Lets not shoehorn players in for the sake of it.

Actually I'll just clarify this. Both Ndidi and Choudhury can start together, but then only one of the other three can fit in the team. 

13 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

The people that think we're going to just attack Liverpool and throw the sink at them aren't form this planet surely. 

I was the first to moan about Hamza and Ndidi both starting at Old Trafford but it wouldn't be a bad idea to do it here at all. 

It's bizarre and ignores that Liverpool are light years ahead of Utd and are pretty much unbeatable at Anfield. It's not like Hamza even plays as a DM most of the time either, as he usually presses further up the pitch. Obviously we miss having a number 10 but it does create a better work rate. I would be more than happy with a point.

5 hours ago, deanolegend1989 said:

There is absolutely no point setting up with 2 DMs and trying to hold it!

if we do that we are basically saying ‘let’s hold on for 90 minutes against 1 of the best attacks in the world’. What would happen is a seige that would end up with them scoring and then bringing on Gray chasing the game , trying to break down a defence containing one of the best in the world sitting deep.

We basically are giving them the game by doing this. Norwich did what you should do, they went for it and Liverpool couldn’t handle them going forward. We should do this but as we have more quality in midfield and defensively we would have a chance.

Go into it playing the same team. If we set up with an attitude of ‘let’s try and win, if we go behind , deal with it and try and come back’ and not ‘let’s keep it tight, sh*t were behind, let’s chase it now’ I’ll be happy. If we go for it and lose I’ll not be unhappy, it’s a free hit! Just don’t give them a game like we did vs Utd.

Kasper

Perrera Soyuncu Evans Chillwell

Ndidi Tillimens

Maddison

Albrighton Vardy Barnes

That team gives us a chance and balance. Back 5 pick themselves, Ndidi over Choudhry to start, can’t drop Tillimens, Maddison offers creativity we will need and something for them to worry about. Vardy to occupy Van dyke but drift onto Matip. Barnes to push AA back and not allow him to attack as much , albrighton on the right for balance and cover Perrera who can over lap and they can talk and cover.

Playing 2 DMs would give confidence to their CM and can press more, they can’t press as much if they know we have the danger to attack them.

If we try and attack them and they do score, we can come back, if we play cautiously and concede, we would have the wrong team to come back!!

I know this is Liverpool and not Utd so we should be somewhat respectful but our best chance of winning is to try and win it.

If we score first and cause pressure we can later in the game bring on hamza /prat or both and make a tight 3 man screen and make it hard for them and more tight, but do that IF we’re winning and not start with this mindset!

Are you thinking of Norwich v Man City?  I don't think Norwich have played Liverpool yet?

You can't go to Anfield and go toe to toe.  That would be disastrous.

Edited by murphy
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, mancunianfox said:

It's bizarre and ignores that Liverpool are light years ahead of Utd and are pretty much unbeatable at Anfield. It's not like Hamza even plays as a DM most of the time either, as he usually presses further up the pitch. Obviously we miss having a number 10 but it does create a better work rate. I would be more than happy with a point.

I'd love a point tbh. 

Be our best result of the season so far if we can shut them out. 

1 minute ago, murphy said:

Oops.  Are you thinking of Norwich v Man City?  I don't think Norwich have played Liverpool yet.

You can't go to Anfield and go toe to toe.  That would be disastrous.

Norwich played Liverpool first game of the season. They got beat 4-1 playing like that so no idea why anyone would use that as an example of how to beat Liverpool, Norwich were really naive in that game. Our fans have turned into Kevin Keegan.

Praet and Ndidi sitting is better than having Choudhury and Ndidi together. Praet has more composure and will be key in getting the ball effectively forward to Tielemans and probably Maddison playing from an inside wide position. Hamza and Ndidi are just a bit chaotic together and I worry about them being put under pressure with the ball.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I'd love a point tbh. 

Be our best result of the season so far if we can shut them out. 

Very true, but I see us getting the most scandalous 2-0 win there for absolutely no reason other than being Leicester City.

Failing that, 3-1 Liverpool.

22 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

No problem going more defensive somehow, I just think Ndidi and Hamza stunts us too much in an attacking sense. I'm sure that's what we'll play, but I'd rather we tried to find another way. With perhaps Praet and Ndidi doing more sitting. At least you then have someone who can play that out ball. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, smr said:

Just go for it. Nothing to lose.

Yes there is. Team morale, credibility, cohesion - everything we have spent the summer building. 

We need to recognise this is one, if not the best team in Europe. We need to respect that. If we “go for it” on their patch, they’ll tear us a new one. 

Play how we did at Anfield and the Etihad last year. We got a draw in one and very nearly drew the other. Anything from this game would be a great achievement. We need to maintain this good feel, top 4 at this stage is very much a possibility.

• Like 3

Whilst part of me agrees that this is probably the one game where we should try and sit tight, like last year, Presuming Wilf will be a shoe-in, I would still prefer to see Praet rather than Hamza taking up the extra strain, as he is better at bring the ball out and getting us going forward. That may well mean that we have to sacrifice one of Maddison or Tielemans . Also I think we need to keep the pressure on their full backs which will cut out their supply line, hence I would play Albrighton instead of Barnes for his defensive capabilities and work rate.

This last however is probably somewhat controversial but I would actually put Fuchs in for Chillwell for this one. he may lack some of Chillers pace but he is a wise old head and, in my opinion a better defender. When he does get forward he is a decent crosser of the ball too, and his long throws can help to keep the pressure on. This is one game where we cannot afford for Chilwell to go marauding off down the flank leaving spaces behind for Salah to exploit.

Whichever of the midfield gets benched, along with Barnes, Chillwell et al can all be used as impact subs, especially the latter two whose pace could be used to good effect in the later stages.

Hence;

Kasper

Ricardo Evans Soyuncu Fuchs

N'Didi

Praet       Tielemens/Maddison

Perez                                   Albrighton

Vardy

This allows us to go 4-1-4-1 when in possession and drop to a /4-3-2-1 when defending.

Speaking to a scouse work colleague he is actually quite worried about this game. He thinks this will be their biggest test of the season so far and is seeing it as a potential 6 pointer. He doesn't expect to lose but he is deffo not putting his mortgage on it either.  He is pinning his hopes on us going there and simply trying to contain with a similar set up to the Man utd game. I agree, and whilst we should not go there all gung-ho, if we have the right balance we can give this a real go.  I actually see this finishing 1-1 which would be a great result for us and put down another marker for the season.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Facecloth said:

Front three are blowing hot and cold too. They seem to be either distroying teams or doing next to nothing. Salah's chaotic style isn't paying off as much this year. If they can get him in behind the full back he's deadly, but when he's running at defenses his quick feet aren't getting him through like they have been previously.

True. We'd be foolish to write them off though, Liverpool's wing play is immense, which is where I think our defensive frailties lie. We'll have to be at our best to keep the score down.

Will be an interesting one either way - the two teams with the sturdiest defences in the Prem so far are... Liverpool and Leicester City (5 conceded apiece). :thumbup:

Thought this was an interesting piece on how Sheffield United managed to keep Liverpool mostly at bay this weekend: https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/sheffield-united-liverpool-tactics-analysis-andy-robertson-trent-alexander-arnold-638388

Personally, I'd be happy for Maddison to play on the left this game. I don't think we've suffered because he's not been in the middle per se - I think he can play quite effectively from the left - more that Youri has not had any help centrally in an offensive sense which really stymies our creative output. Based on his superb performance at the weekend, Praet offers this attacking outlet (still thinking about his delightful ball over the top to Barnes for Vardy's first) but also brings some much needed steel too, perhaps lessening the need for playing both Hamza and Wilf.

One tiny weakness in Liverpool's game is TAA's defensive capabilities and I think Maddison is best placed to exploit this. Plus, it's the side that Matip operates on and whilst he's been very good this season, you'd rather be playing in and around him than VVD. I'd be tempted to bring in Albrighton on the right too to help deal with Robertson - he's even looked more of an attacking threat since Rodgers has come in.

Despite Liverpool's imperious form, I genuinely believe there is something in this game for us. Let's hope they're a bit leggy after their midweek trip!

• Like 1

For me I would like to see Madders and Praet given a go and dare I say Youri dropped!!! Dont get me wrong Youri has been good for us but also we have 3 very good footballers trying for 2 positions. I feel Youri can be a bit slower when we are trying to counter at times which means the opposition have time to get back and then just end up passing it back to defence. It also would be good to see how well that combo can work together. 

2 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Just Stop to talk.........

the charge of the Light Brigade was a beautiful, legendary, even poetic piece of British military history. We should ride into those guns without fear, through the smoke and ruin. Storm the Anfield redoubt sabres drawn, wild eyed and ready to serve destruction upon them. Rise the Leviathan and smash them with our many tentacled arms. 

Need my meds again. Tootles. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1