Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Koke

Liverpool (A) pre match

18 minutes ago, Tom12345 said:

On Fuchs vs Chilly discussion above, I am in the Fuchs camp. Fuchs did very well earlier in the season. He can cross, plays forward, defends well and has good positioning. Chilly still has a lot to learn and his performances so far have been sub-par: he needs to be dropped to get better. I mean, the contrast between the attacks coming from the right with Ricardo and left with Chilly is night and day. Defensively, Chilly’s positioning has been suspect.

And Fuchs is a loyal servant and part of the title winning squad. He is still the best LB at to club for me, is selflessly trying to teach Chilly (from what I read), and is obviously a good influence in the dressing room. He deserves to play more.

Okay Christian :ph34r:

I know they have a 100% record this season and are approaching a record in terms of consecutive wins in the PL, but both man city and liverpool haven't looked as solid as last season.

Liverpool's weakness prior to van dijk was their defence and he was playing at an exceptional level last season which got them the results they did. This season he hasn't been at the same level so far and they've had a bit of a softer centre in games, with a couple of them like Sheffield utd and Southampton which could easily have gone the other way.

Dont get me wrong, they are European champions, but I dont think they're at the same level as last season. If we go for it and attack we could cause them problems - but that doesn't mean we shouldn't play both Hamza and Ndidi, I think we should for that added protection in defence, but I'd like to see players taking more risks in attack and being braver on the ball.

• Like 2

On 30/09/2019 at 03:36, Charl91 said:

I would go for the same formation as normal, but with Albrighton in for Perez, and possible Praet instead of Tielemans (presuming Maddison is fit). A little harsh on Youri, but I think Praet is a little better defensively, and Tielemans was a little sloppy with the ball at times, which would get us punished by Liverpool. 

This but Albrighton in for Barnes instead of for Perez. Love Harvey, but Albrighton looked great in his cameo and would offer more defensive cover on his wing. Perez also provides better cover.

Kasper

Ricardo    Evans  Soyuncu  Chillwell/Fuchs

Wilf

Praet/Tielemans Maddison

Perez                           Albrighton

Vardy

Bit worried about this one as I don’t think we cope well with a team that presses hard. Thinking of the first half vs Chelsea. Youri in particular might get a bit flustered with an intense press. He sometimes dwells on the ball too long and gets dispossessed, and that could be fatal against these lot.

Edited by WigstonWanderer
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, urban fox said:

Whilst part of me agrees that this is probably the one game where we should try and sit tight, like last year, Presuming Wilf will be a shoe-in, I would still prefer to see Praet rather than Hamza taking up the extra strain, as he is better at bring the ball out and getting us going forward. That may well mean that we have to sacrifice one of Maddison or Tielemans . Also I think we need to keep the pressure on their full backs which will cut out their supply line, hence I would play Albrighton instead of Barnes for his defensive capabilities and work rate.

This last however is probably somewhat controversial but I would actually put Fuchs in for Chillwell for this one. he may lack some of Chillers pace but he is a wise old head and, in my opinion a better defender. When he does get forward he is a decent crosser of the ball too, and his long throws can help to keep the pressure on. This is one game where we cannot afford for Chilwell to go marauding off down the flank leaving spaces behind for Salah to exploit.

Whichever of the midfield gets benched, along with Barnes, Chillwell et al can all be used as impact subs, especially the latter two whose pace could be used to good effect in the later stages.

Hence;

Kasper

Ricardo Evans Soyuncu Fuchs

N'Didi

Praet       Tielemens/Maddison

Perez                                   Albrighton

Vardy

This allows us to go 4-1-4-1 when in possession and drop to a /4-3-2-1 when defending.

Speaking to a scouse work colleague he is actually quite worried about this game. He thinks this will be their biggest test of the season so far and is seeing it as a potential 6 pointer. He doesn't expect to lose but he is deffo not putting his mortgage on it either.  He is pinning his hopes on us going there and simply trying to contain with a similar set up to the Man utd game. I agree, and whilst we should not go there all gung-ho, if we have the right balance we can give this a real go.  I actually see this finishing 1-1 which would be a great result for us and put down another marker for the season.

Really good post, your thinking is exactly mine.we can get something here but we have to be solid and your call re Fuchs is dead right in my opinion. 

16 minutes ago, Cheesemaker22 said:

It goes to show how well we're doing this season that one of the most promising young full-backs in the country and a starter for the national team appears to be becoming the new scapegoat on this forum.

He's a part of the equal best defence in the league, he put in a wonderful cross for Ndidi's goal, he does everything you want from a full-back and he's still improving. 

He's not a scapegoat, other than the cross he was poor vs Newcastle, especially in the first half. So far this season he has been off the mark repeatably, it's not a dig at him. I think he needs the competition from Fuchs, who also deserves a crack at LB because of his last performances.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cheesemaker22 said:

It goes to show how well we're doing this season that one of the most promising young full-backs in the country and a starter for the national team appears to be becoming the new scapegoat on this forum.

He's a part of the equal best defence in the league, he put in a wonderful cross for Ndidi's goal, he does everything you want from a full-back and he's still improving. 

And most importantly, he isn’t 100% fit 

could do with missing the internationals to allow his aches to fix themselves but players don’t generally put club before country at our level ....  

2 hours ago, WigstonWanderer said:

This but Albrighton in for Barnes instead of for Perez. Love Harvey, but Albrighton looked great in his cameo and would offer more defensive cover on his wing. Perez also provides better cover.

Kasper

Ricardo    Evans  Soyuncu  Chillwell/Fuchs

Wilf

Praet/Tielemans Maddison

Perez                           Albrighton

Vardy

Bit worried about this one as I don’t think we cope well with a team that presses hard. Thinking of the first half vs Chelsea. Youri in particular might get a bit flustered with an intense press. He sometimes dwells on the ball too long and gets dispossessed, and that could be fatal against these lot.

Agree, tiele is at his best and most influential when he's got time on the ball and that's when he has Maddison next to him which pulls away oppo midfielders. Could be a game where he is dropped for praet as he will do more defensively without nullifying our attack too much. But I can see Brenda going with the hamza/willy combo

3 hours ago, Cheesemaker22 said:

This and more.  The calls for Fuchs are, to me, preposterous (and I bet even he would agree).  Chilwell hasn't consistently played at his highest level under Rodgers but his pace and engine still provides width to our attack while not leaving us exposed at the back.  I thought he was really good against Newcastle and the calls for his replacement are misguided.

• Like 3

Guest An Sionnach
16 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

This and more.  The calls for Fuchs are, to me, preposterous (and I bet even he would agree).  Chilwell hasn't consistently played at his highest level under Rodgers but his pace and engine still provides width to our attack while not leaving us exposed at the back.  I thought he was really good against Newcastle and the calls for his replacement are misguided.

Trouble is he looks far inferior to Ricardo and yet he gets to play for England while Ricardo rarely makes the Portugal team.

34 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

Even when we're doing well someone has to be deemed not good enough. Infuriating. We wouldn't have started the season so well with passengers... 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tom12345 said:

On Fuchs vs Chilly discussion above, I am in the Fuchs camp. Fuchs did very well earlier in the season. He can cross, plays forward, defends well and has good positioning. Chilly still has a lot to learn and his performances so far have been sub-par: he needs to be dropped to get better. I mean, the contrast between the attacks coming from the right with Ricardo and left with Chilly is night and day. Defensively, Chilly’s positioning has been suspect.

And Fuchs is a loyal servant and part of the title winning squad. He is still the best LB at to club for me, is selflessly trying to teach Chilly (from what I read), and is obviously a good influence in the dressing room. He deserves to play more.

I've been critical of Chilwell for several months and Fuchs contributions he made vs Chelsea and Sheff Utd added to the annoyance of Chilwell's poor performances. However, Chilwell has improved in the last month and he's also chipped in with 2 assists in his last 4 games to boot. 

Defensively Chilwell is fine, his athleticism at taking the ball up pitch is glorious but what has let him down in 2019 has been his end product and footballing brain at being more decisive in the opposition half, Fuchs is much more reliable in that regard.

Right now though Chilwell is stepping things up a bit and hope it continues.

• Like 1

I remember Chilwell frustrating me during the first half against Newcastle. 

He gave away possession 3 or 4 times in quick succession, and all the more frustrating as each time was simply out of stupidity.

I can see why he is rattling with people, but he has to start every game he can and he has to be backed this season.  

• Like 1

I love the optimism but really guys to talk about the 3 points and then to say you'd be happy with the point but.....

Liverpool are the European champions, they are unbeaten at home for an eternity and unbeaten everywhere for a long time.

If we get a point at Anfield I'll be ecstatic and it would be a major statement of intent. We should be happy with a loss where we play well and make a few chances.

22 hours ago, turtmcfly said:

Newcastle are rightly getting pelters for their performance yesterday, but the one thing they didn't do was 'park the bus'

Exactly, not convinced any of their players even knew how to drive a bus let alone park one!

I'd get Albrighton into the team for this one. His work rate, cover for the FB and look for a quick ball will be invaluable. We will have considerably less possession in this game than we did against NUFC. 

I'm a little fearful about their rotating front three. Will be a proper test for Cags. I'm not sure Wilf can do all the work on his own, but perhaps Praet can shield alongside him.

• Like 1

My team would be :

Schmeichel

Ricardo Evans Morgan Soyuncu Chilwell

Ndidi Choudhury Mendy

Tilemans Praet

Barnes   Maddison   Albrighton 

Vardy

I think that should do it but if we go a goal down in the first half I'll bring Perez and Iheanacho on as well.

• Haha 3

We just need to put in a decent performance here. To be honest I would be happy for us to play well and lose if we get beaten by a better side. It would be good not to get hammered , a tight (1-0, 2-1) defeat or a draw at Anfield given their recent record would be incredible. Anything more would be insane. 

I would probably start the same team, give Maddison a bit of time to get back to full fitness instead of rushing him in for a big game. Praet looked more than decent as an alternative. 

Edited by Foxin_Mad

One thing we definitely should not do Saturday is try to play an ultra defensive containing game. Sheffield United showed that when they got amongst them, Liverpool lacked composure. Need to continue to learn the lessons from the Old Trafford disappointment and stick with a more positive midfield set up. 

Albrighton for Barnes would be the only real consideration for change for me although can see some merit in those pushing for Fuchs to replace Chilwell. 

10 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

My team would be :

Schmeichel

Ndidi Choudhury Mendy

Tilemans Praet

Vardy

I think that should do it but if we go a goal down in the first half I'll bring Perez and Iheanacho on as well.

5-3-2-3-1, totally underrated formation. 

Perhaps re-shape the ball into more of an oval, reckon you're on to something here. 

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

My team would be :

Schmeichel

Ndidi Choudhury Mendy

Tilemans Praet

Vardy

Nah - too congested !

• Haha 1

Arguably the biggest game in Football across the world next weekend along with Inter-Juve. Let that sink in!

TBH I wouldn't be getting my hopes up. For all our improvement under B-Rod we've struggled early doors against the top 6 teams (Arsenal aside). A bad start here and it might be a long afternoon.

Liverpool have stumbled a bit recently but they are still quite menacing. The strongest/most consistent they have been since the late 80s.  Asking a lot to take all 3 points.

The aim is still top 6 so a loss wouldn't be the end of the world. It's a free hit. If we start trending at 5pm on Saturday though.:schlupp: