Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Koke

Liverpool (A) pre match

Beat them. Set a marker. Would probably prefer to have a bit more experience over youth. 

Don't mind the Fuchs for Chillwell call or the Praet in the side for Youri, Madders or Hamza depending on who Brendan thinks he should go with. 

Seems to know how to control a game a bit better and can help us dictate the tempo of the game. He seems to know which pass to make and when to make it from the looks of the Newcastle game.

Feel confident we could get something from this game

I'd keep Praet in, i think he offers a better balance of attack & defence than playing two CDM's

Still not sure on Maddison playing wide. I'd rather put him down the middle and have Vardy on the left exploiting the space behind TTA

Get at them straight from whistle, all out get an early goal and then use the counter when they come at us. Only issue i see will be Cag's occasional poor tackle and Salah liking a dive, have no confidence VAR would over rule a penalty at Anfield

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

can anyone really suggest that playing a slower full back makes sense at anfield???

I've had a wonder why I wouldn't say no to having Fuchs playing and IMO it would just be to help Soyuncu have another mature player play beside him in a big away game, rather than 2 young players on the left side just in case there's a rash mistake. 

But I'm sure Ben is capable. 

3 hours ago, Finnegan said:

It's nuts. People are suicidal. 

Not sure why it's hard to grasp that Man City and Liverpool are total opposites. 

Man City are creative but patient and want more space on the ball, they'll break you down if you back off but they hate it if you get in their face. High press, high energy, try and attack them = good. Parking the bus = very bad. 

Meanwhile Liverpool are a bit like us, they're just way better at it. They're super fast, super dangerous in transition but they lack creativity in the middle of the park and thrive off disorder. High press, high line = very bad, park the bus = good. 

We made them look like a mid table team last year at Anfield, just by being organised and solid. We play them at their own game, we'll get murdered. A straight shoot out of Vardy, Barnes and Perez vs Salah, Mane and Firmino? Jesus. 

As I said earlier, we go full beans and they might have a field day with the space we leave but that said if we go for the containment job then we could equally find ourselves being extras in a forgone conclusion as we aren't any better at keeping teams at bay when we play pragmatically and this is due to the movement and fluidity of our play. I don't mind us putting Choudhury in there but then don't play Maddison out wide, continue with two wingers and one of those ought to be Albrighton away at Liverpool.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

If he tries to go with Maddison on the wing again and we play like we did at Utd it will be very frustrating. 

Let's be clear, going to Anfield and attacking them is a precarious tactic but going there and trying to contain them is equally questionable. I back us right now, I think they'll still have too much for us but the whole flow of our team when we play 4-1-4-1 will make it difficult for Liverpool and we have to go with that.

I'd be tempted to bring Albrighton in for Perez and if Maddison is fully fit then he comes in for Praet but to be honest I'd not be against a Praet and Tielemans midfield even though Maddison is so good this season, it's a tough call either way of all are fit.

We have to go there and show no fear and play our most fluent system. 

I don't mind that if it's Praet in the middle.

• Like 1

Just now, AKCJ said:

I don't mind that if it's Praet in the middle.

Maybe, it all depends on the flow of the team. We did this vs Sheffield Utd and it still felt like we were operating at about 60% of our blistering ability. Perhaps as fans we are fixated on 4-1-4-1 as the only option but the results and evidence of that vs us playing 4-3-3 with Maddison on the wing is extraordinary and hard to go along with.

• Like 1

Just now, Ric Flair said:

Maybe, it all depends on the flow of the team. We did this vs Sheffield Utd and it still felt like we were operating at about 60% of our blistering ability. Perhaps as fans we are fixated on 4-1-4-1 as the only option but the results and evidence of that vs us playing 4-3-3 with Maddison on the wing is extraordinary and hard to go along with.

I think it is when you're playing a poor side, but when you're playing a good team I think having a sturdier midfield and allowing Maddison more of a free role is better for the team.

The people that think we're going to just attack Liverpool and throw the sink at them aren't form this planet surely. 

Last year at Anfield we parked the bus and got a really credible draw. 

I was the first to moan about Hamza and Ndidi both starting at Old Trafford but it wouldn't be a bad idea to do it here at all. 

A draw would be a very, very good result. 

A draw at Anfield and a win at home should surely be the aim. Clearly the most likely outcome of the three possibilities is a Liverpool win, and should we play two DMs (as I hope/expect) and lose (not hoping for this), I'm not looking forward to the 'fictional hindsight' brigade charging in afterwards.

That said I wouldn't mind us playing Praet instead of Hamza. Not least because every time I think of this game, and how hyped up everyone (including the players) will be, I can't shake the idea of an Hamza getting an early red card ending it as a proper competition.

Edited by turtmcfly

Probably the best time to play them this season. 

Whilst they are on a perfect run, they was arguably lucky against Shef Utd and wasn't at their best against Chelsea. We are in great form and will be up for this. 

That being said, l would still snap your hand off for a draw. 

4 hours ago, Facecloth said:

Front three are blowing hot and cold too. They seem to be either distroying teams or doing next to nothing. Salah's chaotic style isn't paying off as much this year. If they can get him in behind the full back he's deadly, but when he's running at defenses his quick feet aren't getting him through like they have been previously.

They're still winning though and that's what's frightening. 

They're unbeaten in their last 46 games in the PL and have straight 15 wins on the trot. We play them at Anfield not at the KP. Even if they're not as rock solid defensively as last season, they're the most homogene team in the league, a highly efficient unit that deserves some respect.

People are getting carried away, going gung-ho there will end in tears and we have the bad habit of helping opposing forwards in need of a goal. Given the speed of their transitions a ball loss in the middle can be instantly transformed in a goal scoring occasion for them. People are belittling their midfield, which I find incredibly arrogant, but it's working exactly as it's supposed to. They don't expect creativity or goals from it, just get the ball back. FAbinho is one of the best DMs in the world.

It's far from hopeless and we can reasonably expect to get a result there. Be solid, organized and don't concede a shitty pen for example in the first 15 minutes would be a start. 

Edited by That_Dude
  • Like 3

It's nuts. People are suicidal. 

Not sure why it's hard to grasp that Man City and Liverpool are total opposites. 

Man City are creative but patient and want more space on the ball, they'll break you down if you back off but they hate it if you get in their face. High press, high energy, try and attack them = good. Parking the bus = very bad. 

Meanwhile Liverpool are a bit like us, they're just way better at it. They're super fast, super dangerous in transition but they lack creativity in the middle of the park and thrive off disorder. High press, high line = very bad, park the bus = good. 

We made them look like a mid table team last year at Anfield, just by being organised and solid. We play them at their own game, we'll get murdered. A straight shoot out of Vardy, Barnes and Perez vs Salah, Mane and Firmino? Jesus. 

Good post! 

I would say that Puel got his tactics right in both games against Liverpool last season. We were unlucky to lose at the KP and unlucky not to win at Anfield. You've hit the nail on the head that they are the superior version of us in terms of a high intensity pressing game, but that they lack creativity in their midfield. It's perhaps their one weakness, though they've done a good job at hiding it so far! The reason why Alexander-Arnold and Robertson get so many assists is because that's the way they play. Their midfield control the game by working like madmen so that the front 3 plus fullbacks can tear you to pieces. It is super effective because they can control a game and wear you down over time.

There has already been a team we've played this season that also played a very high energy style and got in our faces - Chelsea. They were rampant in the first 25 at Stamford Bridge but we kept in the game despite going one behind and worked our way back into it. In fact that was the same pattern in our games against Liverpool last season too, they took the lead in both games, but in one we clawed a goal back and the other we equalised and finished the stronger. 

So if you were to ask me, it's a job for our high energy players to come in and match their work rate. Play the containment game for the first 45 and then seek to dictate control if we can ride that storm. Players like Hamza and Albrighton have high energy and won't shirk a challenge so it wouldn't surprise me if those two come in for this one.

• Like 2

Guest An Sionnach

They will target Chilwell immediately , Salah cutting in onto Chilwell's right side could be a big problem . Salah is also as strong as a bull and very unsteady on his feet in the penalty area.

Edited by An Sionnach

1 hour ago, AKCJ said:

I think it is when you're playing a poor side, but when you're playing a good team I think having a sturdier midfield and allowing Maddison more of a free role is better for the team.

Of the games we have played that under Rodgers, only the 2nd half vs Chelsea and 1st half vs Arsenal were we even remotely dangerous. Man City away we limited them but going forward we were pretty much non-existent. The home game vs Chelsea last game of the season was revolting, likewise the 1st half at Stamford Bridge this season, the majority of the game vs Wolves until we brought Barnes on and had a go and then obviously away at Old Trafford was as naff as it gets against the worst Man Utd side in living memory.

It did work under Puel but we conceded possession and let the teams come on to us a bit more, but under Rodgers we tend to be laboured in possession but have the lions share of it so that everything just feels a bit static.

They'll feel threatened by our recent form and the 'Rodgers factor'- not to mention the fact that they know they were lucky to win at Bramall Lane. I hope Salzburg give them a decent game this week so that their confidence dwindles a little bit more.

Our confidence on the other hand could not be higher. Let's go at them from the off, try to keep the ball and frustrate them, get those tackles in, quieten the Kop etc etc.

I honestly believe we can end their winning run. And so too, I reckon, do a lot of Scousers.

Let's do this!

2 hours ago, An Sionnach said:

They will target Chilwell immediately , Salah cutting in onto Chilwell's right side could be a big problem . Salah is also as strong as a bull and very unsteady on his feet in the penalty area.

They tried that last season at the KP, hitting the diagonal to Salah multiple times, but it never worked for them. And I'd argue that Chilwell has improved defensively over the past year since then too. I've noticed teams aren't trying it as often anymore.

• Like 2

I would keep the same team that beat Newcastle with the exception of playing Albrighton for Barnes - we seemed to have a great sense of balance during the match and can keep Barnes/Maddison/Gray/Choudhury to give other options if needed.  

I don’t think Maddison is at his best on the left of midfield.  However I think Praet deserves to start after his performance against Newcastle.

Ooh, to have so many good options (except playing 2 CDMs of course)...!!