Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MPH

Liverpool 2 Leicester 1 post match thread

1 minute ago, Hammo said:

I’ve almost calmed down now, so am evenly tempered enough to mention this.

We’ve lost just two games this season - both to penalties - at Old Trafford and Anfield. We’re doing all right. 

When you look at it, it’s been a very good start. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, TheUltimateWinner said:

Fck just watched the call back again, nowhere near enough contact there for Mane to go down the way he does and then holds the wrong ankle!

For me, it’s a dive. I know MA makes contact but there’s a difference between that contact and when Mane reacts. 

Just now, twister said:

you could really do with a Ulloa option Albrighton's still one of the best crosser's in the league

I think Brendan has said he’d rather whack a Centre Half up front for 15 minutes than sign a target man, but I agree. If we had somebody who could nod his crosses in we’d have all bases covered. 

3 minutes ago, roblcfc84 said:

For me, it’s a dive. I know MA makes contact but there’s a difference between that contact and when Mane reacts. 

It’s the same as when someone stands on your foot (I think that might be worse to be honest), do you fall over in the opposite direction holding the wrong foot?! lol 

• Thanks 1

So so soft that penalty. How a ref can still give that after looking at VAR is unbelievable. Big 6 bias as per usual. Really narked off about that!

Took the best team in the league to the end and only a a very controversial decision undid us. 

Proud of our team, but gutted. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

“corrupt but it is what it is”   “it’s all about the TV revenues”  :nigel:

We don’t need conspiracy moans to explain this.  Albrighton injected his usual toughness and energy, but had multiple brain farts on what should have been a simple, safe clearance play.  Clipping Mane was just the last of them. 

Mane made a meal of minor contact.  But in this league today, that is usually given as a pen.  Had it been Vardy at the other end, he’d have gone down too, and most of us would have been pointing to the spot.

It’s one point, not the season down the tubes.  They’re tough lads and Rodgers won’t let them dwell on this.  So let’s do likewise.  Onward is still upward!

• Like 1

It is the sort of soft penalty that no doubt Liverpool fans, among others, used to complain that Man United got 20 years ago when the end was near and the game close. Unfortunately, contact was made and I don't think video refs will overturn it.

We've got to use the annoyance and frustration in a positive way in the next match.

• Like 3

Gutted.

Haven't heard, read or seen much of it as I’ve been out for the day but kept on top of it in terms of the score.

Went 1 down but I had the belief like I’ve not had in a long time that we’d get back into the game which we did, was truly gutted, stomach sinking when I saw we’d conceded a penalty in the 95th minute.

Whilst VAR has arguably working in our favour so far this season the cynical part of me simply thinks ‘bloody VAR’, ‘thought VAR would stop the big team bias’ however in reality I don’t know if that’s at fault or whether it was even used regardless of whether it was a penalty or not.

Ultimately it’s just gutting to lose a game to a 95th minute penalty.

As I’ve said I know little about how the game went but the fact we came back, got back in the game and got so close to getting something I feel happier than how I described us as rolling over and running scared in the way we did at Old Trafford.

Clear penalty unfortunately, Albrighton knew it immediately. Should have just put it in row z and not dribbled it in to his own box. Gutting it was the end of the game. Thought Arnold should have seen red in the 1st half, that would have changed the game massively. But we lost to the European champions to a late pen, shows how far we have come 

Edited by Cecchini1976
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Corky said:

It is the sort of soft penalty that no doubt Liverpool fans, among others, used to complain that Man United got 20 years ago when the end was near and the game close. Unfortunately, contact was made and I don't think video refs will overturn it.

We've got to use the annoyance and frustration in a positive way in the next match.

Seige mentality as we did when we won the league, it’s when we’re at our best as a team and a fanbase (Arguably explains the Scousers in the way their always wallowing in self pity).

Edited by Matt

why is it whenever we get chris kavanagh as ref there is always a dodgy decision that goes against us, think in just about everyone hes ref'd us there has always been one...dont get me wrong it was a very soft pen today

on the match.......its disappointing but we go again and hopefully we'll make it right in 2 weeks time at home to burnley

Edited by FrankieADZ

Obviously gutted. Thought the lads played very hard today and really grew into the game, and almost came away with a point despite some poor tactical choices by Rodgers. Let me get the unpopular points out of the way:

- I do wonder what we'd have looked like playing Perez up top instead of Vardy. With Vardy's style of play, against some defensive set-ups he can't sniff the ball, though his runs still drag defenders. 

- Alternatively, Perez instead of Albrighton on the wing would've been a much more positive personnel choice. Albrighton is a defensive substitute on this squad, little more. We lack the personnel to take advantage of his crosses, he is zero threat to take his man off the dribble, he is simply not a player you want on the pitch when you are a goal down and struggling for creativity.

- YET AGAIN WE PLAYED MADDISON ON THE WING, YET AGAIN REDUCING US TO A SHELL OF OUR CREATIVE SELVES. I am starting to think Rodgers is as stubborn as Puel, and more than a bit stupid to boot.

- We cannot settle for getting our best 11 players on the pitch -- we must get them in position to play their best as well. Rodgers is not doing that. It is hard, bc Rodgers is doing so much right, but our attack is tepid against elite sides without Maddison in the middle. We cannot ignore our 2 shots all game, only 1 on goal, compared to the 18(8) Liverpool had, nor can we overlook the 17-9 foul differential, or our 4 yellow cards. These numbers indicate one thing: our attack was overmatched, and if Maddison is going to be relegated to the wing the rest of the season, we won't be able to beat teams like Liverpool. 

- We need a wing who can score goals. Desperately. Feverishly. It is simply too easy to take Vardy out the game with a deep block. If Perez and Barnes cannot get it done, we have to get someone else. Half-seriously wondering what Ricardo would look like up front with James Justin in support. We must find some goals somewhere besides Vards, we cannot always play a team when they are a man down.

The reality is, we don't have the attacking players Liverpool do. Any of their front 3 is a threat to score. We have Vardy and little else. Mane is a beast, even if he did make a meal of Albrighton's contact, such typical Liverpool front 3 b1tch tactics. We simply aren't yet at a level where our attacking players are much of a threat in the final third against a team like Liverpool. Their backline did a good job keeping Vardy in front of them the majority of the game, and we were clearly were short on ideas. Though I do think the first step is putting Maddison where he belongs, in the bloody middle.

Overall, gutted gutted gutted for our players. They played great and deserved better. We are just a tier below the level of best teams in the world, and we can beat them on our day, but we need more help up front next season if we want past the group stage of the CL. 

I do wish we’d stop going away from home and letting the opposition come and attack us. I know it’s not easy at a place like Fannyfield but we are such a better side when we just go for it. I can see us beating them at home IF we play the high pressing, quick countering game.

I still hate scousers. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, DanNDH88 said:

We’ve just lost to probably the best team in the world from a last minute penalty, not a bad result if you ask me.

Right in what you say yes but I would have taken a 1-0 defeat over it before we scored.

To lose in the manner we did is absolutely galling.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

Are we allowed to have more than one player in the box? So many times we only have Vardy to aim at. 

That is why Albrighton is a poor fit when we are down a goal. He is a defensive wing. Our team is not built to take advantage of his crosses, and he offers little else in the attack. He adds no creativity, is not a threat to score a goal, and is easily forced to give the ball up by one defender. 

Our problem today was tactical. We were toothless up front before Perez came on. We need wings who can score, but we also need Maddison in the middle to get the ball to players like Barnes in dangerous parts of the pitch. Lets stop trying to get all our best players on the pitch, and instead play our best players in their best positions.

• Like 2