Jump to content

Recommended Posts

On 27/04/2021 at 11:25, Gerard said:

 

Define "silly £££ bid".

 

Personally I would be open to it. There is a lot to be said for clubs like ours to sell players at their peak values. 

 

Like everyone else I think he has been amazing these last three months but he has been poor most of his time here so to sell him for "silly £££" is still optimal especially when it causes a few problems.

 

Do we keep him in the side?

Do we drop Vardy?

Do we play two up top?

If we play two up top then Barnes is less effective and do we need Trinicao or whoever?

 

Nice problems to have but BR has got to decide the path he intends to go down before we buy again in the summer. For £50m+ I would sell still.

 

....why should Barnes be less effective with two upfront!!!

4-4-2 would work quite well, it is just not right to say that we diminish his role by playing with two forwards. Trincao will be the player we have been waiting for, a competent winger on the right, a balance to Barnes and will allow us to play any formation that is required at the time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....why should Barnes be less effective with two upfront!!!

4-4-2 would work quite well, it is just not right to say that we diminish his role by playing with two forwards. Trincao will be the player we have been waiting for, a competent winger on the right, a balance to Barnes and will allow us to play any formation that is required at the time.

Two up front is great if you are prepared to run with 352/532, but a more traditional 442 (2xFB, 2xWings) is a no no for me, at least if we planned to play with Barnes on the left and (lets say for example) Trincao on the right.

 

This leaves you with 2 midfielders, presumably Youri and Wilf, and that is not enough in the current climate preference for midfield overloads, as 352/532 lets us have the midfield presence of Maddison/Perez/etc to bolster midfield.

 

So if we did run with Barnes/Trincao on the wings, they would (and probably should) be drawn inside to compensate for the lack of numbers in midfield, maybe not all the time, but frequently.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....why should Barnes be less effective with two upfront!!!

4-4-2 would work quite well, it is just not right to say that we diminish his role by playing with two forwards. Trincao will be the player we have been waiting for, a competent winger on the right, a balance to Barnes and will allow us to play any formation that is required at the time.

We haven't played 4-4-2 since Shakespeare's time and even then it was 4-4-1-1. 

 

Rodgers is very unlikely to play that system with two wingers and two up front, leaving centre mid potentially exposed.  It also leaves another problem of what to do with Maddison.

 

Two up front appears to mean wingbacks not wingers so including Barnes becomes a headache.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, murphy said:

We haven't played 4-4-2 since Shakespeare's time and even then it was 4-4-1-1. 

 

Rodgers is very unlikely to play that system with two wingers and two up front, leaving centre mid potentially exposed.  It also leaves another problem of what to do with Maddison.

 

Two up front appears to mean wingbacks not wingers so including Barnes becomes a headache.

We play 5212 which puts more stress on Tielemans and Ndidi than what playing 442 would.

 

Off the top of my head we played a conventional 442 last season at home to Brighton, obviously it didn’t work very well but that was down to Rodgers inexplicably playing Mendy and Ndidi together.

 

Of course this doesn’t mean much in isolation but we’d be silly to not even explore it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Stadt said:

We play 5212 which puts more stress on Tielemans and Ndidi than what playing 442 would.

 

Off the top of my head we played a conventional 442 last season at home to Brighton, obviously it didn’t work very well but that was down to Rodgers inexplicably playing Mendy and Ndidi together.

 

Of course this doesn’t mean much in isolation but we’d be silly to not even explore it.

I would argue that wing backs make it more of a 3-4-1-2, it's not a flat back five unless we're playing Man City, so the middle two are not isolated.  I just don't think that Rodgers likes a conventional 4-4-2

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, murphy said:

I would argue that wing backs make it more of a 3-4-1-2, it's not a flat back five unless we're playing Man City, so the middle two are not isolated.  I just don't think that Rodgers likes a conventional 4-4-2

It’s semantics really, but out of possession it is a 5 otherwise it’d be too easy to get in behind.

 

I don’t think he does either, agreed on that. However, on paper

                   Vardy   Iheanacho 

Barnes       Tielemans    Ndidi     New RW

LB               Soyuncu    Evans      RB

 

 

Looks a strong side, functionally though I guess it’d probably just revert to a 4231 whilst playing 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

We played with a 4 4 2 against Arsenal home with Nacho playing in a front 2 with Vardy (he wasn't really dropping deep to act as the link between midfield and attack to be a 10). Pretty sure Rodgers said in the post match presser that it didn't suit the players available or it wasn't a system they were used to at the time. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Neutral said:

The gist you have is probably correct

 

Basically:

 

"Why are you walking away like this"

 

"My walk has changed"

 

"I have tried in many different ways to ask you for soap, but you won't give it to me. What is going on, why won't you help you brother?" (Soap having a double meaning: the secret behind your success or good fortune, but also just soap, which is the joke).

 

"I don't use soap anymore, I use shower gel now"

 

"What is this shower gel, I will go get it"

 

"The shower gel I use isn't for everybody, so I will put a small amount on your hands and you will use it to shower like this"

 

"How long will you do this?"

 

"Just for two weeks"

 

It is an ongoing series between them. Last time Ndidi was asking Iheanacho for his soap, but he said he couldn't respond as his phone was not charged since NEPA (which controls electricity in Nigeria, where it is notoriously unreliable) took the light away.

 

 

I love the Kel and Wilf double act 😁

Link to post
Share on other sites

This idea that a top footballer has shot out of nowhere. Is that actually backed up with his goal involvements per 90? I know it was around one every 90 for his time at man City and his brief appearances here, made all the more remarkable by the fact that it was often 10 minute cameos or being lugged off after an hour time and time again through no fault of his own. Is it not the case that with a consistent run in the team, his numbers are largely the same but simply bigger because he's getting the minutes and the confidence to make them happen, like he always has throughout his career. The fact he sat on the bench when Vardy was either unavailable or playing at what looked like, literally, 40% fit will always be mind boggling. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Neutral said:

The gist you have is probably correct

 

Basically:

 

"Why are you walking away like this"

 

"My walk has changed"

 

"I have tried in many different ways to ask you for soap, but you won't give it to me. What is going on, why won't you help you brother?" (Soap having a double meaning: the secret behind your success or good fortune, but also just soap, which is the joke).

 

"I don't use soap anymore, I use shower gel now"

 

"What is this shower gel, I will go get it"

 

"The shower gel I use isn't for everybody, so I will put a small amount on your hands and you will use it to shower like this"

 

"How long will you do this?"

 

"Just for two weeks"

 

It is an ongoing series between them. Last time Ndidi was asking Iheanacho for his soap, but he said he couldn't respond as his phone was not charged since NEPA (which controls electricity in Nigeria, where it is notoriously unreliable) took the light away.

 

 

Thanks yeah, I was pretty much there.

 

This one threw some more light on it

 

https://twitter.com/FansTribeHQ/status/1383876173772431361?s=08

 

Funny as hell

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Neutral said:

The gist you have is probably correct

 

Basically:

 

"Why are you walking away like this"

 

"My walk has changed"

 

"I have tried in many different ways to ask you for soap, but you won't give it to me. What is going on, why won't you help you brother?" (Soap having a double meaning: the secret behind your success or good fortune, but also just soap, which is the joke).

 

"I don't use soap anymore, I use shower gel now"

 

"What is this shower gel, I will go get it"

 

"The shower gel I use isn't for everybody, so I will put a small amount on your hands and you will use it to shower like this"

 

"How long will you do this?"

 

"Just for two weeks"

 

It is an ongoing series between them. Last time Ndidi was asking Iheanacho for his soap, but he said he couldn't respond as his phone was not charged since NEPA (which controls electricity in Nigeria, where it is notoriously unreliable) took the light away.

 

 

Will these exchanges be published with footnotes and an introductional text discussing the wider philosophical implications of their exchanges and how it may guide proper behaviour and appreciation of modern day life. I will purchase it alongside “Chat shit, get banged, volume 7: Implications for a just society“.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...