Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Kelechi Iheanacho

I thought he was overawed by the situation, Final, Wembley etc. but why God knows. Can't complain too much as we know his goals have been golden and got us there.

Hopefully he will have learnt from this experience as there will, undoubtedly, be more big games to come.

1 hour ago, STUHILL said:

This is going to sound incredibly harsh, but we didn't half carry him for most the game. He could have turned Rudiger so many times, and we know he has it in his locker too. He wanted to take 2-3 touches before he did anything else and with the way Chelsea play, he was just crowded out over and over. 

Do we still start him tomorrow? Yes, as I think he is still our most lethal finisher and he shouldn't be anywhere near as nervous, but I hope we see a much better Iheanacho, as we will need everyone at their best to do Chelsea again 

He was losing the ball in central areas a lot. I wasn't surprised he came off.

That's the good thing of a player like Perez though, he can slot in up top.

Personally I wouldn't break up Kelechi and Vardy partnership for the next two games. 

Edited by Fox92
Missed a word!

4 hours ago, Fox92 said:

He was losing the ball in central areas a lot. I wasn't surprised he came off.

That's the good thing of a player like Perez though, he can slot in up top.

Personally I wouldn't break up Kelechi and Vardy partnership for the next two games. 

What do you think to the idea of Kelechi and Barnes up front next season?

4 hours ago, Houdini Logic said:

It seemed like every time he had the ball played to him he had 2/3/4 Chelsea players tight to him. Could well have been part of their plan (though Chelsea did appear to be everywhere tbf)

I thought this as well. Rudiger was closing him down very quickly every time he was on the ball, looking to shirt pull and hold him back to stop him turning, plus there was always a couple of other players close by as well. Perhaps with this, and James playing in the back 3 instead of Azpuillicueta so they could match Vardy's pace, Chelsea's main approach to the game was to try to neutralise the threat of our front 2.

• Like 2

TBF James and Rudiger marked Vards and Nacho out of the game, they'd clearly prepped that for days before to leave Thiago spare but that's what gave Youri the space. BT showed it in their analysis that no-one got out to Youri because the front two made runs and Silva had too much ground to make up. Chelsea will need to be more on the front foot at their place and won't be as tight again, which should give Nacho a bit more freedom.

15 hours ago, STUHILL said:

This is going to sound incredibly harsh, but we didn't half carry him for most the game. He could have turned Rudiger so many times, and we know he has it in his locker too. He wanted to take 2-3 touches before he did anything else and with the way Chelsea play, he was just crowded out over and over. 

Do we still start him tomorrow? Yes, as I think he is still our most lethal finisher and he shouldn't be anywhere near as nervous, but I hope we see a much better Iheanacho, as we will need everyone at their best to do Chelsea again 

I think that has a lot to do with us not seeing much of the ball. Reluctant to concede possession unnecessarily with risky play (regardless of whether it happened anyway, the intent to hold the ball was there).

Possibly instructed to hold it up and wait for support?

Also, having the fans back could’ve added pressure not to give the ball away cheaply by trying to turn Rudiger.

Not his day while he was on the pitch but it didn’t hamper us too much.

14 hours ago, Houdini Logic said:

It seemed like every time he had the ball played to him he had 2/3/4 Chelsea players tight to him. Could well have been part of their plan (though Chelsea did appear to be everywhere tbf)

This.

Yes he was poor and his touch was sloppy but they'd clearly identified the threat of the ball going into feet with him and there was one instance in the first half where they had 4 players around him.

If we plan to cede the game to the other team and rely on counter attacks then there's not much point in us starting Kel, he's just a waste of a player in that role. We'd be as well to have Perez and Maddison in behind Vardy and make it more of a 5 2 2 1.

We're not going to create proper chances in open play against these with a back 5 anyway as we don't have the pace or physicality to counter attack. 

I thought the occasion got to him a bit, but give Chelsea some credit, whenever he got the ball Kante and Jorginho were on him as quick as a flash so it doesn't surprise me that he lost possession a lot - after all we know how good Kante is at dispossessing his opponent. Hopefully he gets a bit more joy tonight. 

16 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

He looked really nervous during the game, and not at all like his usual confident self of late. It was a final after all and in some ways it's more surprising some of our other players like Thomas didn't suffer the same fate.

He was correctly hooked, and the occasion will be a valuable learning experience for him. 

He was taking up good positions and trying to do the right thing, but he just kept losing the ball and having it bounce off him. 

Sometimes when you're young you don't realise the implications, you know its important, but when you become older you look back at how fearless or naive you where.

2 hours ago, dmayne7 said:

This.

Yes he was poor and his touch was sloppy but they'd clearly identified the threat of the ball going into feet with him and there was one instance in the first half where they had 4 players around him.

yeah and I think he was fouled a couple of times and unsurprisingly got nothing from Michael Oliver

36 minutes ago, Marshall Cockney Fox said:

He was just looking to take too many touches on Saturday. And got himself wrapped up. Tonight he needs to be much quicker. Control, turn, move it on

Who's he moving it on to? :D

The rest of the team about about 40 yards away from him haha

• Like 1

They obviously targeted him on Saturday, surrounded him and forced mistakes but I was angry (now forgiven, trophies tend to have that effect on me) at team-mates for not giving him more options and getting closer. Needs to learn the old "whack it at your opponents shins and see where it lands ploy" rather than try and hold off 3 or 4 opponents while waiting for support, just mix it up a bit. Needs the ball another 15 yards further forward to see the real Nacho

• Thanks 1