Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Kelechi Iheanacho

He was another that kept losing traction and falling down. Played one sublime pass to Vardy I remember. gave up possession a little to easily a few times and didnt provide enough pressure upfront at times. Had a shot go way up into the stands but hey on a mother day he puts them in. Bit of a maverick but not gonna be too hard on him. He like everyone else were playing on an empty tank. We just were missing that but of clever game management out there. Sensing we were tiring and over reaching for balls we just didn't have enough composure in the moments. These are small details but get magnified in the premier league as ruthless as it is. Once spuds got one back that was a warning shot that they will have more pot shots at us. These set pieces have been our Achilles heel all season. Damn I miss the big Wes and Huth partnership. Nothing in the air would get past them period.

Kasper is a legend and in that moment unfortunate he came for it but put in our net instead. If he didn't we would have been screaming for him to come off his line. Just sods law isn't it? At 2-2 spuds pretty much sensed we were gassed and went for the kill. I just hope and pray we stay together over the summer and no one wants out and rock the boat. 

• Like 1

Iheanacho -

Pro's - clinical in front of goal, can play some decent through balls on the edge of the box.

Against - He's so slow, sometimes looks half arsed, loses concentration, doesn't really head the ball, useless with his back to goal, needs regular games otherwise may get short on confidence.

For me he would be great in games we're likely to dominate, with plenty of attacking players around him, but if we need to sit back and play on the break, or play him as a lone striker in games we need an extra midfielder, he's next to useless, he's not a vardy replacement for me, more a squad player than a main man

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Charl91 said:

Iheanacho saved our season. 

Feel like hes not great on the counter, needs to be around the box. Offers a lot more than perez though. 

Exactly this, in games where we're dominating possession, he'll always offer goals or assists. When we're sat deep and need to spring forward quickly he's about as much use as Mark De Vries

• Haha 1

A real breakthrough season for Iheanacho with us. I remember some of our fan base on here even criticising his post match interview after an 94th minute winner in the 5th round of the FA cup. Struck me as pathetic at the time and even more so now. 

If anyone still remains unconverted, they must expect an awful lot. He dragged us through with his goals when we needed someone to do exactly that.

Good for him.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

You simply can’t build a team around him as a lone striker. He’s not good enough for that

Don’t think I’ve ever seen a player so impacted by confidence. He is a quality striker, but his flaws are there for all to see. He needs a bit of Diego Costa in him - ooh err misses. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, splinterdream said:

Iheanacho -

Pro's - clinical in front of goal, can play some decent through balls on the edge of the box.

Against - He's so slow, sometimes looks half arsed, loses concentration, doesn't really head the ball, useless with his back to goal, needs regular games otherwise may get short on confidence.

For me he would be great in games we're likely to dominate, with plenty of attacking players around him, but if we need to sit back and play on the break, or play him as a lone striker in games we need an extra midfielder, he's next to useless, he's not a vardy replacement for me, more a squad player than a main man

He's not slow (top speed this season is 0.1 slower than Vardy), works his socks off (even Brendan says that and he slags him off at every opportunity), the next 2 I'll give you, he's excellent with his back to goal (holds it up brilliantly at time and turns the defender a lot from that position).

But you're right with the last point; he's a confidence player if ever there was one. When he's low on confidence he's incredibly poor but when he's not, he's pretty unplayable. Had a couple of tough games recently but his form the second half of the season has been ridiculous and not just scoring goals, but his all-round contribution. Still things to work on and he wants to get to a point where his bad games are just being quiet rather than really sloppy but he's now a quality option for us.

For all those saying a lack of confidence, 

Do you really  think he was suffering a lack of confidence weeks after being voted player of the month for March and nominated for April with a further 4 goals and 2 assists.

It’s basically as good as it gets for him.
To then suggest he has lost confidence after the most purple patch of his career in such a short time is concerning.

1 hour ago, dmayne7 said:

He's not slow (top speed this season is 0.1 slower than Vardy), works his socks off (even Brendan says that and he slags him off at every opportunity), the next 2 I'll give you, he's excellent with his back to goal (holds it up brilliantly at time and turns the defender a lot from that position).

But you're right with the last point; he's a confidence player if ever there was one. When he's low on confidence he's incredibly poor but when he's not, he's pretty unplayable. Had a couple of tough games recently but his form the second half of the season has been ridiculous and not just scoring goals, but his all-round contribution. Still things to work on and he wants to get to a point where his bad games are just being quiet rather than really sloppy but he's now a quality option for us.

Not sure where you get your stats from on his pace but I feel I know what i see and he is either slow or holds back with his pace. On the edge of the box he reads the game lovely but I'm just not convinced he's the answer, I hope I'm wrong.

I personally think we need 2 more forwards this window, I would have 2 available for cup and uefa games and 2 available for league games and rotate, I think next season for nacho will be the biggest of his career so far.

2 hours ago, Jimmy said:

this might be the summer to cash in if we get a good offer, especially if Edouard does join

Really? 

So Edouard and an ageing Vardy as our striker options? 

We have to keep Iheanacho. Have to add to our current options. Vardy won't play every game, probably just once a week for most weeks. 

Sticking with just Edouard and Vardy would be far too risky. 

• Like 4

I’m not talking about confidence, I’m talking ability

He’s an instinctive player, and when facing the goal can pull the trigger with the best of them. 
But his all round game isn’t good enough.

The ball bounces off, with his back to goal he doesn’t bring other players in, his awareness of the game isn’t great.

IMO to play Kel necessitates having to play two up front and we won’t always want to play that way. 
Chris Wood for example, doesn’t have Iheanacho’s scoring ability but he’s more of an all round striker if we want to play with a target man.

I wouldn’t sign Wood.. that ship has sailed, but I think the club needs that type of option up front

Edited by Col city fan
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Col city fan said:

You simply can’t build a team around him as a lone striker. He’s not good enough for that

As it stands you can't but add a right winger who is of a skill set to Barnes and thst as a front 3 with Tielemans, Ndidi and Soumare probably works very well as the 2 wingers push on when Iheamacho drops in and he's very good at attacking crosses.

• Like 1

Had he taken that chance to make it 3-1 we were home and dry.

He wasn't hectic the last week but after 4 seasons he had his strongest one yet. Gained a lot of points with his form. 

Hopefully he makes a good impression in front of the fans when we get back.

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

Really? 

So Edouard and an ageing Vardy as our striker options? 

We have to keep Iheanacho. Have to add to our current options. Vardy won't play every game, probably just once a week for most weeks. 

Sticking with just Edouard and Vardy would be far too risky. 

that doesn't mean you cannot sign another striker as well, but Nacho has had a good spell of form here the last few months, but that's pretty much all he's had in 4 years, it could be the best time to sell