Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bazly

The cartel of Europe

Europe's top clubs want to reshape the Champions League within the next three months.

The European Club Association board have set up a new working group to outline a fresh round of detailed proposals for the biggest shake-up since the the competition replaced the European Cup.

AC Milan chief executive Ivan Gazidis is chairman of the working group and there is a target of agreeing the new-look format by March in the hope of taking it to UEFA to get it rubber-stamped and introduced by 2024.

One proposal is to have a league of 32 teams. Each team would be seeded and get 10 games and reaching the last 16 would also guarantee qualification for Champions League the following season.

It could be bad news for clubs like Leicester as the shake-up could mean finishing in the top four would no longer guarantee a place as the elite clubs want to safeguard themselves.

• Haha 1

Good news is that we've got 3 years grace to be a "big team" and become a permanent fixture.  Brendan, make it so...

Bad news is that it will completely wreck any thought of competition in domestic football, harm the "Premier League" brand, and from my perspective would take away a lot of the magic of football.  I really enjoyed watching Ajax perform the way they did in the CL last year, not to mention us getting to the quarter finals in 2016-17!  Hopefully enough teams and national associations will oppose this...

• Like 2

It stints.

Having said that, I think there is a good point in there. If you reach the Finals, or even Semi-finals, it is quite an achievement and burden given the heavy schedule these days and I agree that you should be rewarded with some preference in terms of entering the comp the following year. Otherwise the danger is that teams prioritise the domestic leagues too much because there is too much risk to try to do well in Europe as it may affect domestic results from playing too many games (including tiredness; injuries; etc).  Just look at Liverpool’s schedule.

I do think therefore there is some merit to it. It just needs to be balanced.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1