Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bazly

The cartel of Europe

Once football ceases to be a meritocracy then it's finished.

Elite clubs already have a huge advantage with their pulling power and income, if they want to handicap the rest of us just make us play with 10 players against them so the bollocks is out in the open for everyone to see. 

• Thanks 3

Supposedly, the English clubs are against this, because it will dilute the selling power of the Premier League. I wouldn't be surprised if the La Liga has the same issue. Serie A just isn't what it was 20 years ago, but AC Milan would be out of the top tier European competition so quickly, I can't see why he would be pushing it.

The problem of a basketball-style Euroleague is that those teams pushing for it -- AC Milan, for example -- are powerhouses in their local leagues. However, in a permanent Euroleague, they become a perennial midtable club (a Euroverton), or even a Yo-yo club bouncing up and down.

There is a certain panache to earning a Champions League spot -- even if you don't advance that far -- that would be lost in this format. 

And if Gazidis doesn't care, because he thinks it will be raining money -- again, Serie A ain't what it used to be. The big names would be Barcelona and Real Madrid, who have completely screwed over the other teams in La Liga as far as money goes -- they wouldn't hesitate to pull the same hijinks with this proposal after a few years.

• Like 1

Not to sound naive but let them do it.  I imagine that the clubs aren’t tied to their respective FA’s if this occurs, so does that mean that the players are then ineligible to represent their country?

Also I could see the likes of us, Everton, Wolves, West Ham breaking away with other European clubs to form a closed shop second tier competition 

If this happened it would be the end of football. Clubs would have nothing to aspire to and little motivation to finish top. 

What makes football so great for all clubs, is to dream of your team competing with the big boys. If that was taken away, despite being better then these teams over 38 games domestically, then what is the point? And even if it did get approved and let's say clubs like us, Leipzig...etc got into the champions league and consistently got out the group, they will change the rule again. 

The champions league is the greatest competition in football for me. The structure of it from who gets in and the eight groups of four is perfect. Don't mess with something that works perfectly. 

Surely there's some sort of law about this, as it would immediately decrease the value of teams that aren't part of this shit stain of an idea? You'll also end up with far more Mike Ashley types, owners with no ambition to finish any higher than 17th, as there'd be next to no point from a money-making perspective

44 minutes ago, Lineker's Left Foot said:

Not to sound naive but let them do it.  I imagine that the clubs aren’t tied to their respective FA’s if this occurs, so does that mean that the players are then ineligible to represent their country?

Actually, some of the clubs see this as a feature, of a Euroleague, not a bug -- no international call-up, no international break.

10 hours ago, car1os said:

Good news is that we've got 3 years grace to be a "big team" and become a permanent fixture.  Brendan, make it so...

Bad news is that it will completely wreck any thought of competition in domestic football, harm the "Premier League" brand, and from my perspective would take away a lot of the magic of football.  I really enjoyed watching Ajax perform the way they did in the CL last year, not to mention us getting to the quarter finals in 2016-17!  Hopefully enough teams and national associations will oppose this...

I'd rather we didn't become an elite team if this is what it means. **** being complicit in the erasure of whatever is left of football in Europe. I'd rather become a Brazilian plastic and support Corinthians or something.

It will never happen as the English clubs have way too much clout and UEFA need them. They will throw their weight around, just like they did when they ensured the guarantee of four PL teams in the Champions League every year, and with more money.

Even if this was a possibility, let them go off and destroy themselves. In the meantime, every fan should boycott Sky, BT and all the leeches that profit from this nonsense.

Will never happen, if it does it ruins the game forever. 

Football is bigger than money, I for 1 would make a stance of never watching these games, it would be detrimental to the broadcasters as fans of teams that aren't and can't be involved in these games would lose interest,as would millions 

1 minute ago, grobyfox1990 said:

It will never happen as the English clubs have way too much clout and UEFA need them. They will throw their weight around, just like they did when they ensured the guarantee of four PL teams in the Champions League every year, and with more money.

Even if this was a possibility, let them go off and destroy themselves. In the meantime, every fan should boycott Sky, BT and all the leeches that profit from this nonsense.

Exactly, and I believe real football fans would stick together make themselves heard, and, as you say boycott games. How boring would it be as a tournament too, almost makes the world Cup a non event. 

• Like 1

Jesus, how boring would this be. I barely watch CL as it is because I don't feel the need to watch the same old teams play the same old fixtures.

I realise the same old teams play in the Prem each season, but Leicester are involved so it is more interesting.

Edited by lgfualol
  • Like 1

It is obviously a ridiculous idea. And unsurprising it is being headed Gazidis who's AC Milan have been woeful for seasons and currently languish in Mid table. 

Have any English teams publicly backed it?

It would take a lot to kill my interest in football all together but if this was to go ahead I'm pretty sure this would get close.

• Like 2

On 12/12/2019 at 22:53, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

Actually, some of the clubs see this as a feature, of a Euroleague, not a bug -- no international call-up, no international break.

What self respecting player would want to play in a league where it disqualified them from representing their country and potentially playing in the World Cup? It would become a second class competition once it could no longer attract the best players and tv would soon lose interest. It is nonsense