Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Koke

Newcastle (A) pre match

1 hour ago, Paddy. said:

Difficult one for Brendan. I get the argument that you play your strongest side (all things considered) and that there's no room for sentiment etc but who deserves to be dropped after the win at West Ham? This is where it becomes bigger than the actual game itself, what's the best thing for squad morale?

Obviously I'm not comparing myself to a Premier League footballer but when I was at Hinckley as a teenager I never really managed to get into the first team, I was almost always in the reserves/ youth team. However, I remember really clearly being called into the first team to play a game against Worcester because of injuries. I had the best game I'd ever had at that level got the MOTM. The next week I was back in the reserves with no real explanation.

This happened a few times and I just thought '**** it' and quit and went off to uni instead. Obviously a PL footballer on bazillions a week isn't going to do that but can be very demoralising when you get your chance, do well and this just get dropped again. 

Agree with a lot of this...ok Man City/Liverpool were different class to West Ham...but Tielemans and Maddison were poor against them..do they deserve to go straight back into the side ?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SO1 said:

Like most of this forum for Iheanacho? Immediate gratification much? I predict a full plate of words to be eaten in your future. bon Appetit :)

And to be honest, I really hope you're right. I suspect many of us have been wrong either way before. Nevertheless,  if selected I will always cheer/encourage him and would certainly never boo him because he's an honest player who always appears to give of his best (my only boos would be reserved for Dennis Wise). It's his seemingly abnormal lack of strength and persistence in giving the ball away that frustrates me. I just think we have players who, from their brief cameo appearances, deserve more of a chance than him after all his appearances as they appear better suited to what we are trying to do.

However, I would have to concede that the strength issue is certainly something that could be improved upon and that the second issue, also mentioned by Rodgers, is possibly something that via Rodgers may also be something that can be put right. If so, we'll both be happy. 

• Thanks 1

@Paddy., I used to play cricket for a team, and socially, they weren't comfortable with me. So when I took wickets it gave them a problem. I remember one game, we had a captain for the day I'd never met before. I took a wicket in my first over, and before I started my next over, he said to me 'last one John'. Sometimes the fix is in, and stuff that's been said behind closed doors by the club secretary or whatever is what goes.

Similarly, some players that are at fault are never blamed - I always thought Maguire got away with far too much, whereas people like Jimmy Willis, David Oldfield, or more recently Ghezzal or Barnes get stick way out of proportion. People have their biases, and need to confirm them. It's easier than admitting being wrong, or OTT.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, turtmcfly said:

Surely this was the clincher, being effectively 'ignored' and allowed to think that your efforts hadn't even been noticed? Thankfully it's also the thing that in the equivalent scenario you would expect to absolutely not happen under Rodgers.

That's true. All I got was, "Well X is our first choice and he's a lot more experienced than you." Dean Thomas was manager at the time and I actually thought he was a very good manager at that level but this was all I got.

Obviously, it's not like for like but when the first 11 have hardly set the world alight in the past 4 games (albeit against two of the best sides in Europe) and the replacements have done so well, it's not as straightforward a decision as some are suggesting. That's all I'm saying. Take Tielemans for example. One of the best players I've ever seen in a blue shirt, I love the guy but should he go straight back into the team? I'd personally say no.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, twister said:

While the turnaround causes the changes on saturday I also think Brendan went from five or 6 changes to 9 due to the very poor nature of thursday performence as I predicted he would. He would have been deeply unhappy with their performence. It reminded me a bit weirdly of celtics performence against rangers  where young players froze.

My team for a hard away game on new years day with a up for it geordie crowd would be

Kasper

Ricardo Evans Souyncu Chilwell

Albrighton Nidii Hamza Gray

Vardy Perez

just feel Maddison looks tired  and out of form, and barnes is out form,Youri acould also do with some time out. Newcastle struggled on saturday against two wingers who pressed them, this would also push their wing backs backwards as well I am picking Chilwell based on the hope that with newcastle sitting deep he get forward and supply more, but one more iffy performence and Fuchs should be considered  a starter for the games coming up.

Like the idea of pressing them down the flanks with the nearest we have got to two out and out wingers supporting by overlapping full-backs on both sides.

Where I think we would struggle here is a lack of an attacking option through the middle to feed Vardy into the channels.  We could go with one CDM (probably Wilf) and Maddison, Youri or Praet at the tip of a wide diamond but that would leave us outnumbered in the middle or as an alternative replace Perez with one of the three above.

The good thing about all this is that we do have more than one way to play now, the 15/16 team was a bit one-dimensional (save the occasional flash of brilliance from Mahrez), they just executed it bloody brilliantly.

Guest An Sionnach

Its time Fuchs and Chilwell were tried together , Chilwell' s main strength is his attacking play and he can beat defenders . Fuchs lacks pace but his defensive skills are still superior to Chilwell. The two together could solve our wide left problems.

15 hours ago, An Sionnach said:

Its time Fuchs and Chilwell were tried together , Chilwell' s main strength is his attacking play and he can beat defenders . Fuchs lacks pace but his defensive skills are still superior to Chilwell. The two together could solve our wide left problems.

A full backs attacking quality does not translate to his ability to play as a winger, unfortunately.

Chilwell's ability to beat a man is mainly down to him receiving the ball already at pace or with grass to hit in front of him, whereas a winger needs a quick turn of pace and direction.

Its the same reason why Albrighton's "defensive skills" have rarely been tested at full back, the great escape Wing Back role aside (but again, a slightly different role) 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, SheppyFox said:

Youri and Maddison need to get back in gear, they’ve only played half a season, I don’t accept they’re tired.

If they’re tired, I don’t think it matters whether you accept it or not.

• Like 2

Guest An Sionnach
43 minutes ago, wardyfox86 said:

A full backs attacking quality does not translate to his ability to play as a winger, unfortunately.

Chilwell's ability to beat a man is mainly down to him receiving the ball already at pace or with grass to hit in front of him, whereas a winger needs a quick turn of pace and direction.

Its the same reason why Albrighton's "defensive skills" have rarely been tested at full back, the great escape Wing Back role aside (but again, a slightly different role) 

I agree that it's not a perfect solution , but Chilwell is a marked man in opposition planning because of his defensive weaknesses. However he is too good a player to leave out completely. Gareth Bale moved forward extremely successfully and there are other examples. Nobody on here questions his attacking threat and given the Barnes, Gray and Albrighton limitations it seems to me it's worth a try.

These are a very decent side at home. I think they’ve got the best home defensive record in the league which means we need to play our most creative side and try to stretch them and get in behind as much as possible. I don’t see how the diamond could help in this one. We could use both Wilf and Hamza to cover as the full backs need to be getting to their touch line behind the fullbacks as much as possible. I also think we need both Maddison and Tielemans to try to break them down. I’d go with -

Kasper

Chillwell

Evans

Soyuncu

Ricardo/JJ

Ndidi

Hamza

Maddison

Tielemans

Perez

Vards

Playing Pérez and Maddison behind Vardy  with plenty of options off the bench to switch it around 

21 hours ago, Paddy. said:

Difficult one for Brendan. I get the argument that you play your strongest side (all things considered) and that there's no room for sentiment etc but who deserves to be dropped after the win at West Ham? This is where it becomes bigger than the actual game itself, what's the best thing for squad morale?

Obviously I'm not comparing myself to a Premier League footballer but when I was at Hinckley as a teenager I never really managed to get into the first team, I was almost always in the reserves/ youth team. However, I remember really clearly being called into the first team to play a game against Worcester because of injuries. I had the best game I'd ever had at that level got the MOTM. The next week I was back in the reserves with no real explanation.

This happened a few times and I just thought '**** it' and quit and went off to uni instead. Obviously a PL footballer on bazillions a week isn't going to do that but can be very demoralising when you get your chance, do well and this just get dropped again. 

Happened to me once. I was playing for a Senior League side and got called up for the 1st team when the regular striker - who was knocking off the manager's daughter - was unavailabe.

I got a couple, but knew I'd be out again as soon as the other bloke came back. Decided to jack it, and went and signed for another lot. Happily, we played them the next season, and I banged in the winner from the penalty spot (blatant dive).

One of the most satisfying moments of my footballing 'career'.

• Haha 1