Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lcfc-1992

Wigan Pre Match Thread

9 hours ago, twister said:

dont take the piss to much Wigan just won at Birmingham, should of beaten derby

I think they have been unlucky this year, with a goal scorer they would be much better off

Which is good news for us.

I'd field a second-string starting XI mostly, complemented by a handful of regular first teamers on the bench (just in case we're walking into trouble):

Ward

James

Morgan

Benkovic (?)

Fuchs

Albrighton

Choudhury/Mendy

Praet (if fit)

Barnes

Perez

Iheanacho

Subs: Jakupovic, Söyüncü, Chilwell, Tielemans, Mendy/Choudhury, Maddison, Gray

Edited by MC Prussian

No way we should play Benkovic without Evans as a partner. Pairing him with Wes is a recipe for disaster. As good as a defender as Wes has been we've all seen the benefit of having him playing with someone who reads the game better ie Huth and Evans

Pairing Benkovic with Wes will leave us exposed and could cause Benkovic to go backwards, if at all possible, in his development. Don't underestimate the importance of this game from a confidence and consistency point of view. With a busy month coming up, and 2 big games against Villa, keeping a good run together is huge and a loss to Wigan and a 2nd successive loss in the 3rd round to lower league opposition would really dent confidence and cause some unrest in the stands.

I agree changes are needed and shouldn't (fingers crossed) affect us, but playing a young centre half in his first start with a good old fashioned stopper rather than someone more cultured in Evans would not be good for the lad.

It's a good opportunity for him though I doubt he's anywhere near the 1st team right now, which goes to show the gulf in class between the Scottish premiership and the Premier league.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

No way we should play Benkovic without Evans as a partner. Pairing him with Wes is a recipe for disaster. As good as a defender as Wes has been we've all seen the benefit of having him playing with someone who reads the game better ie Huth and Evans

Pairing Benkovic with Wes will leave us exposed and could cause Benkovic to go backwards, if at all possible, in his development. Don't underestimate the importance of this game from a confidence and consistency point of view. With a busy month coming up, and 2 big games against Villa, keeping a good run together is huge and a loss to Wigan and a 2nd successive loss in the 3rd round to lower league opposition would really dent confidence and cause some unrest in the stands.

I agree changes are needed and shouldn't (fingers crossed) affect us, but playing a young centre half in his first start with a good old fashioned stopper rather than someone more cultured in Evans would not be good for the lad.

It's a good opportunity for him though I doubt he's anywhere near the 1st team right now, which goes to show the gulf in class between the Scottish premiership and the Premier league.

This is the conclusion I came to. But it's a dilemma as Jonny really could go with a match off. 

Will Wigan be that up for this? I wouldn't be shocked if they threw it somewhat as they've got their own league problems. Wouldn't be surprised at all if they made a load of changes themselves.

That's the reason I was so happy with this draw. I cannot see anything other than a comfortable Leicester win here. What's good is that under Rodgers I feel like we can make significant changes and still be good for it. We're just a well coached team.

10 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

Will Wigan be that up for this? I wouldn't be shocked if they threw it somewhat as they've got their own league problems. Wouldn't be surprised at all if they made a load of changes themselves.

That's the reason I was so happy with this draw. I cannot see anything other than a comfortable Leicester win here. What's good is that under Rodgers I feel like we can make significant changes and still be good for it. We're just a well coached team.

Yeah Albrighton said in an interview recently that the players all know their roles, even if they're on the bench or not even in the squad. They all know what is expected of them should they get the call up to the first XI. That's been very evident in the times where we've made a fair few changes.

Ward

Justin - Morgan - Evans - Fuchs

Choudhury

Mendy* - Tielemans

Albrighton - Iheanacho - Gray

Although it's an FA Cup tie against weaker opposition, it's still important to win it and continue good momentum gained after 2 wins following 2 losses. 

*Praet should play if Mendy doesn't. I wouldn't mind if Youri did play though as well just to get some confidence back to kickstart some good form too. Same with Barnes instead of Albrighton or Gray.

The front 3 definitely have enough in them to score/create against a Wigan side.

There's enough leadership and experience to make sure we stay professional in the game, especially at the back. Justin has played quality in his appearances so far and this is a great game for him to continue to show that.