Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
M0901

Marc Albrighton

Suspect he was given this run of games initially because the plan may be to slot Ricardo in to that position once fully fit, but it's going to be hard to dislodge him.

Great to see him playing the way he is. None came off last night but it's always a thrill the moment he puts a ball over the top for Vardy.

Edited by Voll Blau
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Suspect he was given this run of games initially because the plan may be to slot Ricardo in to that position once fully fit, but it's going to be hard to dislodge him.

Great to see him playing the way he is. None came off last night but it's always a thrill the moment he puts a ball over the top for Vardy.

I think he's done brilliantly as well. There have been calls by some people to put Ricardo out on the right wing, possibly because Justin and Albrighton have played so well, that to drop either would be harsh. I can fully understand the sentiment but personally disagree. You could pick Harry Kane as a centre half if short because he's a big lad and could do a good job. This might well be true but what a waste of your best centre forward. Likewise, when fit and in top form, Ricardo is best in the position he plays in out of all our players. We've seen him in that advanced role in the past and to be honest, he wasn't great. He has all the hallmarks of a failed winger or midfielder that has now found his absolute niche. His defending has improved dramatically and he can be devastating running from deep. I think sometimes as a manager you have to play your best team which sometimes you have to leave some of your best players out otherwise you risk watering down the overall team performance. Remember England, trying to play Scholes on the left wing just so they could cram all the 'best players' on the pitch? It clearly didn't work and we underachieved because of poor management. The fact is, we now, in certain positions, have genuine competition for places and have to accept some players will have to fight for their place. We are in enough competitions to accommodate this.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Leicesterpool said:

Very unlikely to happen but it would be really amazing for Marc if he actually found himself in the next England line up, at 31 I don't think he'd be oldest getting his first cap. Certainly deserves at least one.

Easy for me to say but if i were albrighton i'd tell them "no thanks"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

I think we'd all prefer to see an Under-style player, with his tricks and flicks and potential magic, but what you gain there you lose elsewhere and you have to look at the "team" as a whole.

We go on about the current squad being "better" technically than 15/16 but that team was very much a team unit.

Albrighton is an easy target because he's not flash. What he does though for the balance and team dynamic is often crucial.

You are dead right. Marc's relentless tracking back, often covering his full-back, makes that side of the defence so much more solid. It recalls his contribution, on the left side, in 2015-16. If we are serious about being near the top this season we need defensive solidity, and Marc is as important for that as for his runs and crosses.

1 hour ago, Royston. said:

Easy for me to say but if i were albrighton i'd tell them "no thanks"

...all that will look like is petulance!!!

He would live the rest of his life with that around his neck. What he does is grab hold of the "cap" and prove to other players out there that there is always a chance and give it to his kids. Most would say he has nothing to prove but he himself will feel differently and it will be the one thing where he hang up his boots, without looking back.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

I think we'd all prefer to see an Under-style player, with his tricks and flicks and potential magic, but what you gain there you lose elsewhere and you have to look at the "team" as a whole.

We go on about the current squad being "better" technically than 15/16 but that team was very much a team unit.

Albrighton is an easy target because he's not flash. What he does though for the balance and team dynamic is often crucial.

Absolutely spot on for me.

Remember when we played Sevilla and Athletico Madrid in the Champions League.I thought he would struggle at that level...I was wrong, he was one of our best players and  never looked out of his depth. Quite often he makes difficult things look easy, which means he gets taken for granted. The goal he took against Stoke with his weaker left foot and the pass he laid on for Youri's goal against Newcastle being examples

• Like 1

• Won 10 out of 12 he has played in
  • The 31-year-old has started five of the last six games in all competitions and his promotion up the pecking order for the right side of Brendan Rodgers’ attack has coincided with the club’s impressive return to form

Brendan Rodgers calls Marc Albrighton Leicester's 'soldier' – The Athletic

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Post Horn Galloper said:

You are dead right. Marc's relentless tracking back, often covering his full-back, makes that side of the defence so much more solid. It recalls his contribution, on the left side, in 2015-16. If we are serious about being near the top this season we need defensive solidity, and Marc is as important for that as for his runs and crosses.

Whilst I wouldn't disagree with any of that, it is possible to have our cake and eat it too - there are players out there that combine the best of both worlds, like Mané for example, who has a superb workrate. Our aim should be to try and find a winger that fits that mould.

6 minutes ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Whilst I wouldn't disagree with any of that, it is possible to have our cake and eat it too - there are players out there that combine the best of both worlds, like Mané for example, who has a superb workrate. Our aim should be to try and find a winger that fits that mould.

Sure they must exist, but its a tricky skillset collection that is for sure, one that is perhaps available from someone such as our very own Ricky you could imagine?

It still baffles my why villa didnt fight to keep him. he is an excellent professional and has the talent to back it up. I always see him an enabler, he does so much that allows others to flourish. when the time comes, he will be looked on in the same bracket as Vards and Kasper as proper legends for the club from this period. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, JJS84 said:

It still baffles my why villa didnt fight to keep him. he is an excellent professional and has the talent to back it up. I always see him an enabler, he does so much that allows others to flourish. when the time comes, he will be looked on in the same bracket as Vards and Kasper as proper legends for the club from this period. 

He is a different player to the one that left Villa. If you remember during his first season even Pearson wasn't keen on him, so clearly he needed alot of work in that first season before he was trusted enough to play towards the end of the season just in time for the great escape.

7 minutes ago, JJS84 said:

Remember a Villa fan I worked with at the time being really miffed that they'd let him go.

26 minutes ago, lcfcsnow said:

He is a different player to the one that left Villa. If you remember during his first season even Pearson wasn't keen on him, so clearly he needed alot of work in that first season before he was trusted enough to play towards the end of the season just in time for the great escape.

Either way, he's a brilliant player now, and has to be considered one of the best signs we've surely ever made

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, lcfcsnow said:

He is a different player to the one that left Villa. If you remember during his first season even Pearson wasn't keen on him, so clearly they had to work on him alot in that first season before he was trusted enough to play towards the end of the season just in time for the great escape.

Most fans I know, who saw him play early after signing, thought he should have been in the team a lot earlier.

2 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

Sure they must exist, but its a tricky skillset collection that is for sure, one that is perhaps available from someone such as our very own Ricky you could imagine?

I want us to try it but personally don't think he would be too good in that position. I feel like his best attacking contributions start by him running or driving from deep with some attention already being occupied by the winger. I could be wrong though which is why I would like us to at least try Ricardo on the wing.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Leicesterpool said:

Very unlikely to happen but it would be really amazing for Marc if he actually found himself in the next England line up, at 31 I don't think he'd be oldest getting his first cap. Certainly deserves at least one.

I would absolutely love that and to me he deserves at least one cap but with all the talent that Southgate has available to him with his winger options, I just can't see it happening.