Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
M0901

Marc Albrighton

What perhaps people forget is with Albrighton you get someone thats (almost always) positionally good and doesn't leave gaping holes or have no clue how to defend.

Barnes for example (i'm a massive fan of his) often fails in this area, I suspect under would as well, having sharkey in the team goes a long way towards making it difficult for the other side as well as the work rate he gives you going forwards.

now I appreciate that Newcastlee probably isnt the game where this is of huge value, but... still MOTM for me today, albeit not by much and in a team full of 6 and 7's

• Like 2

Just now, HighPeakFox said:

Please explain how he's holding us back.

With pleasure Peaky. His work rate is faultless, his defensive contribution is usually very good too.

But what he offers offensively is diminishing year by year, and now is almost (the key word before anyone highlights the assist today) negligible. One FT poster scored him 9 defensively, 2 offensively after the Utd game, which I thought was spot on.

He can’t now beat a man and can’t shoot to save his life (though I’ll always love the goals in Bruges/home to Sevilla). His crosses, when he delivers, are usually aimed at a memory of Ulloa or Slimani, rather than the wiry, slight, vertically challenged players likely to be in the box.

It’s his lack of contribution in the final third that’s seen us spend the last three summers trying (and failing) to upgrade on him with Ghezzal, Perez & Under. It’s the one position where we don’t look anything like a top 6 side. That’s how he’s holding us back. He’s a legend still doing a valuable job, but we need better.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, ParkerPen said:

Having sharkey in the team goes a long way towards making it difficult for the other side as well as the work rate he gives you going forwards.

Spot on. He won't have the tricks of Mahrez/Under etc but he gives us so much in a team environment.

I'm sure some will say "He's holding us back, we need better" without looking at the all round picture.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Steve Earle said:

With pleasure Peaky. His work rate is faultless, his defensive contribution is usually very good too.

But what he offers offensively is diminishing year by year, and now is almost (the key word before anyone highlights the assist today) negligible. One FT poster scored him 9 defensively, 2 offensively after the Utd game, which I thought was spot on.

He can’t now beat a man and can’t shoot to save his life (though I’ll always love the goals in Bruges/home to Sevilla). His crosses, when he delivers, are usually aimed at a memory of Ulloa or Slimani, rather than the wiry, slight, vertically challenged players likely to be in the box.

It’s his lack of contribution in the final third that’s seen us spend the last three summers trying (and failing) to upgrade on him with Ghezzal, Perez & Under. It’s the one position where we don’t look anything like a top 6 side. That’s how he’s holding us back. He’s a legend still doing a valuable job, but we need better.

Ok, that all makes sense. But then it's not really him holding us back, it's the countless heirs to Mahrez who've failed to produce enough goods thus far. The fact he keeps coming back and contributing is testament to the positives he still brings. So I'd argue that our recruitment in this area has slightly held us back in the RW area.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Please explain how he's holding us back.

Holding us back is probably the wrong words, he brings a lot to our side and I have nothing but respect for him and you can't fault many aspects of his game. But he is limited, he can create chances in his own way but I do feel as a team we would create far more with an alternative and someone that offers something different. 

I do agree though when you said it's not his fault that noone has nailed down the position, but I'm not sure Under has been given a fair chance just yet. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Not every player in a good team has to be a superstar. It's all about balance and chemistry. I posted a couple of days ago that we need wide forwards who get 10 goals and 10 assists. Obviously that would be ideal but Marc will never be one of those.  But he does bring the best out of others, which is a really important, if not always appreciated, attribute. He's our James Milner.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Ok, that all makes sense. But then it's not really him holding us back, it's the countless heirs to Mahrez who've failed to produce enough goods thus far. The fact he keeps coming back and contributing is testament to the positives he still brings. So I'd argue that our recruitment in this area has slightly held us back in the RW area.

I’ll put it another way. None of the teams we compete with would find a place for him in their starting XI. That’s not his fault, nor is it his fault that our recruitment team hasn’t yet solved the ‘replace Mahrez’ problem. How could they?!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Steve Earle said:

I’ll put it another way. None of the teams we compete with would find a place for him in their starting XI. That’s not his fault, nor is it his fault that our recruitment team hasn’t yet solved the ‘replace Mahrez’ problem. How could they?!

By persuading someone very costly to sign, I expect. As for your other point, that may well be true. However, I'd point out that Liverpool find a place for Milner often, and although he's 'nothing special', he's very effecitve. And one could argue that flash teams such as Man City could do with a bit more 'ordinary'/'honest' in their ranks (perhaps not my finest timing as they seem to have got their act together) - but you take my point maybe?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steve Earle said:

1 hour ago, HighPeakFox said:

Great posts. Somehow you've both hit the nail on the head.

Edited by sdb
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Of his 14 appearances in the Prem and Europa this season Albrighton has only been on the pitch for one loss - the Liverpool game.

He’s not featured in six games in the Prem so far and we’ve lost four of them and drew one (Palace) - Man City being the only win when he’s not featured.

He’s seemingly becoming vital.

Edited by when_you're_smiling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Steve Earle said:

I remember a Leicester squad a few years back that was full of players who couldn't find a spot in any of the teams we were competing against.. They did alright.. :-)

• Like 2

Albrighton is still a very valuable servant. But a right winger who could really elevate our offensive game would bring so much to the "small" games that we struggle to put away. I really hope Under gets his chance, and soon, he's shown some very promising signs in the small periods of time he's been given.

4 hours ago, when_you're_smiling said:

Of his 14 appearances in the Prem and Europa this season Albrighton has only been on the pitch for one loss - the Liverpool game.

He’s not featured in six games in the Prem so far and we’ve lost four of them and drew one (Palace) - Man City being the only win when he’s not featured.

The Okazaki effect...

7 hours ago, ParkerPen said:

What perhaps people forget is with Albrighton you get someone thats (almost always) positionally good and doesn't leave gaping holes or have no clue how to defend.

Barnes for example (i'm a massive fan of his) often fails in this area, I suspect under would as well, having sharkey in the team goes a long way towards making it difficult for the other side as well as the work rate he gives you going forwards.

now I appreciate that Newcastlee probably isnt the game where this is of huge value, but... still MOTM for me today, albeit not by much and in a team full of 6 and 7's

Under seems to be ok too defensively.

I agree with Barnes. His defensive positioning (and tactical awareness generally) still has quite a long way to improve. Even his movements off the ball around the box needs improvement. I hope he gets some private lessons from Vardy.

But yeah, Albrighton is a good all rounder. What I like about him though is that he always look to pass forward the first opportunity he has. Just like Barnes, he is a pleasure to watch especially during periods when we only pass sideways or backwards. His attacking abilities should not be undermined. It was a decent pass from him to Tielemans for the second goal - shows his vision, precision and can get the weight and angle right.

7 hours ago, when_you're_smiling said:

What a stat

How many managers has Albrighton had to (and has) proven that he is a vital cog in our team.

It may be an old mans hazy memory, but i feel as though every new manager has dropped him from the side initially, only for Marc to force a way back in and prove he needs to be there.

Vital to our success

Edited by ozleicester
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, ozleicester said:

How many managers has Albrighton had to (and has) proven that he is a vital cog in our team.

It may be an old mans hazy memory, but i feel as though every new manager has dropped him from the side initially, only for Marc to force a way back in and prove he needs to be there.

Vital to our success

100% every manager comes, drops sharkey for a bit, then comes to realisation we are so much more reliable and threatening with him in the team and voila mr reliable returns

absolutely love the bloke 

• Like 2

The free signing who keeps putting the more expensive players on the bench. Is he the most brilliant individual player, no, but he is a brilliant team player and the comparison to Milner is not unfair. Some players just make those around them better players, Heskey never scored enough goals as a striker but others loved playing alongside him. I think in Albrighton and Barnes we have a good balance out wide, without exposing our fullbacks too much.

Albrighton when he does hang up his boots will deserve to be remembered as a club legend.

15 hours ago, Steve Earle said:

He certainly can still beat a man.

7FD29B6D-E4D1-4BA0-B137-04B5EEB2E334.jpeg