Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
M0901

Marc Albrighton

1 hour ago, jmono84 said:

He’s the perfect player to bring on in a game where he can defend deep and ping long counter attacking passes. He shouldn’t be starting because he’s so slow and predictable.

I do like him but if we want to play this BR’s sort of football we need someone who is physically and technically better than him.

Only person I can think of in out squad to go out there is Ricardo or Lookman. I would still much rather have Albrighton ahead of Perez

Not really, as he's in one of the positions where you'd expect the player to be using pace and getting on the end of the passes

• 2 weeks later...

I really dont want to start a GOAT bashing thread but just a general observation but has anyone else noticed how much slower Albrighton looks this season?

Not just his overall pace but also his general  fitness levels arent where they usually are. I know he missed a lot of pre-season and it could just be that but he usually comes back fit as a fiddle. 

There have been  a few breaks that fell his way and he looked like he was running in treacle. 

I think this is the last season where we'll see him getting regular gametime. That said, he's still doing the business. And while Brendan doesn't seem to be getting the memo, we need bodies for squad rotation with all the games we have coming up.

I agree with @Lambert09 in that he appears to have lost a bit of sharpness or pace this year, but his delivery still remains better than either Tielemans or Maddison and the workrate can never be faulted. Delighted we now have Bertrand though, who should be first name for taking non-direct setpieces when he plays.

I'd rather have him playing 30 or 60 in every other game as an increasingly fringe player than, say, the Mark Noble situation at West Ham. There's a great example there of a player who has basically withered away without first team football.

Marc is a squad player now, but that doesn't mean I don't want to see him get gametime. He still does the business.

Edited by OntarioFox

1 hour ago, OntarioFox said:

I think this is the last season where we'll see him getting regular gametime. That said, he's still doing the business. And while Brendan doesn't seem to be getting the memo, we need bodies for squad rotation with all the games we have coming up.

I agree with @Lambert09 in that he appears to have lost a bit of sharpness or pace this year, but his delivery still remains better than either Tielemans or Maddison and the workrate can never be faulted. Delighted we now have Bertrand though, who should be first name for taking non-direct setpieces when he plays.

I'd rather have him playing 30 or 60 in every other game as an increasingly fringe player than, say, the Mark Noble situation at West Ham. There's a great example there of a player who has basically withered away without first team football.

Marc is a squad player now, but that doesn't mean I don't want to see him get gametime. He still does the business.

Whilst I may well be incorrect my opinion is that the percentages of losseswhen he plays are the lowest of anybody who plays at all regular  

• Like 1

Somebody posted our awful crosses into the box rate. Other than maybe Pereira when fit he's still the best crosser of the ball we have imo. He's one of our most reliable players, seemingly makes solid relationships with whoever BR puts at RB (ie a team player) and the player I don't question puts in 100%. He is in his 30s now so is bound to be slowing a little. He and Lookman should make good variation to swap in and out depending on formation and opposition. Absolute legend. 

• Like 2

On 23/09/2021 at 18:54, Foxaholic ME said:

Whilst I may well be incorrect my opinion is that the percentages of losseswhen he plays are the lowest of anybody who plays at all regular  

I still maintain that he was our best winger last season, despite the creeping criticism.

Barnes would have been ahead, but he spent half the season injured unfortunately. In a squad that was being shuffled around to accomodate that, Marc was pretty consistent.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

I'd without a shadow of a doubt pick him before Perez and Maddison at the moment as he'd contribute so much more. 

Not for me. Albrighton offers one thing mainly and it's crosses into the box. He hasn't got the legs to beat full backs so more often that not, if he doesn't cross, he is looking to play the ball back to Ricardo.

We're playing Burnley at home today. We want to be attacking and dynamic. Perez for me if Rodgers continues with his ever loved formation of 3 midfielders behind 1 striker.

Edited by Fox92
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Fox92 said:

No chance. Albrighton offers one thing mainly and it's crosses into the box. He hasn't got the legs to beat full backs so more often that not, if he doesn't cross, he is looking to play the ball back to Ricardo.

We're playing Burnley at home today. We want to be attacking and dynamic. Perez for me if Rodgers continues with his ever loved formation of 3 midfielders behind 1 striker.

Like Perez regularly beats his man and gets the ball in the box. Neither is he swift at anything bar hitting the deck. His only claim to fame is that in a cup final, a ball flukily banjoed off his arse and fell to one of his own players and a great goal was eventually scored. The law of averages even suggests that if you run around a football pitch for long enough aimlessly the ball will eventually hit you 🤣.

You only have to watch Albrighton's work rate and defensive contribution to appreciate him. Perez runs around quite a bit and  ... sorry, can't think of anything after that. 

Maddison is a talented lad who is out of form but it will return I feel sure. I certainly wouldn't right him off but just think he needs replacing and then see him fight himself back into the team. At this level of competition you can't afford too many passengers in one match and arguably at times we've had three but, Barnes is showing signs of a comeback I think. 

3 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

Like Perez regularly beats his man and gets the ball in the box. Neither is he swift at anything bar hitting the deck. His only claim to fame is that in a cup final, a ball flukily banjoed off his arse and fell to one of his own players and a great goal was eventually scored. The law of averages even suggests that if you run around a football pitch for long enough aimlessly the ball will eventually hit you 🤣.

You only have to watch Albrighton's work rate and defensive contribution to appreciate him. Perez runs around quite a bit and  ... sorry, can't think of anything after that. 

Maddison is a talented lad who is out of form but it will return I feel sure. I certainly wouldn't right him off but just think he needs replacing and then see him fight himself back into the team. At this level of competition you can't afford too many passengers in one match and arguably at times we've had three but, Barnes is showing signs of a comeback I think. 

The same Perez that scored a volley against Napoli?

People defend Albrighton with "work rate and defensive contribtion" every fvcking season. Running around doesn't make you a good player. But people love that in this Country. If someone runs around a lot then he's loved and yet a player could not move and win the game out of nothing like Mahrez used too. I know what I'd rather have.

I agree dropping Maddison, I wasn't getting at that. But more of the point we lack a good quality right winger, that's the issue.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

Like it or not, Perez is our most creative player currently alongside Iheanacho. Both of them should start imo, on the right and as a #10 respectively. Lookman or Barnes in their natural position on the left, Vardy up top. 

Last time I checked Maddison wasn’t in our top 5 shot creating players, hasn’t contributed to a goal in any way for something like 15-20 games… I hope he finds some form again but I’d let him do that in Europe, we can’t afford to carry him with quality in reserve 

Edited by FoxesWalk
  • Haha 1

On 23/09/2021 at 23:54, Foxaholic ME said:

Dont think this is just coincidence..he is an effective team player rather than an eyecatcher.

In 1966 Alf Ramsey knew that Jimmy Greaves was a better player than Roger Hunt ,but that we were a a better team with Roger Hunt in it. 

6 hours ago, John12345 said:

Surprised he's only 31. Seems like he's been around forever

Another decent 4-5 PL years Left in him....& I Hope he finishes them here...I

He couldn t and he wouldnt be selected for 40+ games, But he could easily do 20-30 + as cover/rotation/First choice/ from the bench.

he is and remains the most underRated Player & crosser ,& direct through Moves of the ball, not just at city.

last Year I did a running  Albrighton statistic over the last 3 seasons, then Bloody lost it...Too much for me to try & bother again...

Plus he had offered those sort of hidden assists...These are assists to assist or he started the move.

He had a couple of below avg..( Many do)...moreso he has had many, where top chances were not Converted by others,or others where his crosses were ok,

but the attacking intent petered out,so tends to be easily forgotten.

Then getting his ( & Vardy's)  attempt Cross in,  and Not being blocked, were better than Maddison,Tielemans,Ricardo,Barnes.a.n.other WB..!!

Suprisingly Chilwells successful crosses, and finding teammate was also high...Again a teammates Lack of end Conversion rate...

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Fox92 said:

The same Perez that scored a volley against Napoli?

People defend Albrighton with "work rate and defensive contribtion" every fvcking season. Running around doesn't make you a good player. But people love that in this Country. If someone runs around a lot then he's loved and yet a player could not move and win the game out of nothing like Mahrez used too. I know what I'd rather have.

I agree dropping Maddison, I wasn't getting at that. But more of the point we lack a good quality right winger, that's the issue.

Perez did score yes, the amount of game time he's had this and last season so he bloody should, remind me of his goal and assist stats last season?

Marhez is a poor example because although he didn't run around a lot, his other attributes were exceptional, hence he's still a winner at Man City. Perez contributes very little, in fact he's more of a hindrance as he's taking up a valuable space in the team. Where I sit, if he's in the starting line-up or is brought on there's just a disbelieving groan. No-one would boo him but nobody I know can see reason for his inclusion. Yes we read the stories of technical abilities and again, supposed work rate but nobody buys it. For one prized interception he gives it away about 4 times or is yet again weak and falls over or is brushed aside. I think it's the latter that frustrates some people because core strength is absolutely something he could do something about. 

2 hours ago, FoxesWalk said:

Like it or not, Perez is our most creative player currently alongside Iheanacho. Both of them should start imo, on the right and as a #10 respectively. Lookman or Barnes in their natural position on the left, Vardy up top. 

Last time I checked Maddison wasn’t in our top 5 shot creating players, hasn’t contributed to a goal in any way for something like 15-20 games… I hope he finds some form again but I’d let him do that in Europe, we can’t afford to carry him with quality in reserve 

I doubt there'd be many wanting to see Perez on the field over Iheanacho wherever the latter played. I do agree regarding Maddison though, just a blip, he'll be back, but we've better options to try over him at the moment I think.

Mind you, whatever I do believe or say on here about Perez, I'd never consider booing him and I always wish him to do well. He's a Leicester player after all when he's on the pitch. 

Edited by volpeazzurro

On 25/09/2021 at 13:24, volpeazzurro said:

Perez did score yes, the amount of game time he's had this and last season so he bloody should, remind me of his goal and assist stats last season?

Marhez is a poor example because although he didn't run around a lot, his other attributes were exceptional, hence he's still a winner at Man City. Perez contributes very little, in fact he's more of a hindrance as he's taking up a valuable space in the team. Where I sit, if he's in the starting line-up or is brought on there's just a disbelieving groan. No-one would boo him but nobody I know can see reason for his inclusion. Yes we read the stories of technical abilities and again, supposed work rate but nobody buys it. For one prized interception he gives it away about 4 times or is yet again weak and falls over or is brushed aside. I think it's the latter that frustrates some people because core strength is absolutely something he could do something about. 

This season - Albrighton 4 apps 1 goals / Perez 4 apps 1 goals

Last season - Albrighton 42 apps 2 goals / Perez 36 apps 3 goals

Season before (Perez first here) - Albrighton 28 apps 0 goals / Perez 40 apps 8 goals

Albrighton has never been a goalscoring winger. He's limited in that sense. His best return was 6 goals for Villa (2010-11). His best return for us is 4 (2016-17). Perez hit double figures in his last season at Newcastle, a poor Newcastle side.

I'm not suggesting Perez is the answer, he's certainly not a winger, but he offers more than Albrighton. 

Edited by Fox92
Spelt 'Villa' wrong

7 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

This season - Albrighton 4 apps 1 goals / Perez 4 apps 1 goals

Last season - Albrighton 42 apps 2 goals / Perez 36 apps 3 goals

Season before (Perez first here) - Albrighton 28 apps 0 goals / Perez 40 apps 8 goals

Albrighton has never been a goalscoring winger. He's limited in that sense. His best return was 6 goals for Villa (2010-11). His best return for us is 4 (2016-17). Perez hit double figures in his last season at Newcastle, a poor Newcastle side.

I'm not suggesting Perez is the answer, he's certainly not a winger, but he offers more than Albrighton. 

Perez's 12 goal season was the best of a pathetic 4 years.

I agree totally that Albrighton has never been a goalscoring winger but there's a reason successive Leicester managers have picked him and that's because of his overall contribution to a game. Very few see in Perez and I'm convinced that the only reason Perez starts is because he was Rodgers personal huge 30m mistake and therefore continued stubborn attempts at justification. I don't see any other of our previous managers giving him the time of day. Neither do I see any other current Premiership team remotely wanting him either.

• 4 weeks later...