Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
M0901

Marc Albrighton

On 26/09/2021 at 14:03, volpeazzurro said:

Perez's 12 goal season was the best of a pathetic 4 years.

I agree totally that Albrighton has never been a goalscoring winger but there's a reason successive Leicester managers have picked him and that's because of his overall contribution to a game. Very few see in Perez and I'm convinced that the only reason Perez starts is because he was Rodgers personal huge 30m mistake and therefore continued stubborn attempts at justification. I don't see any other of our previous managers giving him the time of day. Neither do I see any other current Premiership team remotely wanting him either.

Perez scored 7, 6, 8 and 12 in the PL for Newcastle.....A 'Pathetic' Newcastle side for most of it, and were either relegated or fighting it every season he was there.

Meanwhile, Albrighton was at a Title winning Leicester, and in 8 seasons has only scored 4 more than Perez did in his first season with us.

You will find that 'Successive Leicester managers' haven't 'picked' him, as you say, more so they've been forced back to him because of a lack of other options.

The right wing position has been the weakest in the team for years, and he has been the one who has spent the most time in that position, which says just as much about him as it does our poor recruitment there.

Perez, at RW, is a square peg in a round hole, a role that probably should have been filled by the likes of a Buendia 12 months ago.

On 26/09/2021 at 15:03, volpeazzurro said:

Perez's 12 goal season was the best of a pathetic 4 years.

I agree totally that Albrighton has never been a goalscoring winger but there's a reason successive Leicester managers have picked him and that's because of his overall contribution to a game. Very few see in Perez and I'm convinced that the only reason Perez starts is because he was Rodgers personal huge 30m mistake and therefore continued stubborn attempts at justification. I don't see any other of our previous managers giving him the time of day. Neither do I see any other current Premiership team remotely wanting him either.

Incoming Top performances, from Perez...:scarf:

6 hours ago, FoxyLeon said:

Perez scored 7, 6, 8 and 12 in the PL for Newcastle.....A 'Pathetic' Newcastle side for most of it, and were either relegated or fighting it every season he was there.

Meanwhile, Albrighton was at a Title winning Leicester, and in 8 seasons has only scored 4 more than Perez did in his first season with us.

You will find that 'Successive Leicester managers' haven't 'picked' him, as you say, more so they've been forced back to him because of a lack of other options.

The right wing position has been the weakest in the team for years, and he has been the one who has spent the most time in that position, which says just as much about him as it does our poor recruitment there.

Perez, at RW, is a square peg in a round hole, a role that probably should have been filled by the likes of a Buendia 12 months ago.

Last point first, yes agree absolutely. 

However, I hardly think all those managers have picked Albrighton because of being a last resort! Neither admittedly would they have picked him as a goal threat but, if you really can't see or work out why they've all selected him then a big hint would be that some of the other players on the pitch aren't strikers and don't all score goals but there is a lot of work goes into getting them to do so i.e. if they don't actually receive the ball they can't score. It really isn't that necessary that a winger scores goals as long as he's extremely productive and effective in other areas. Albrighton might not be as much of an influence now as he was but if you haven't noticed his valuable contribution over the years you must be far wiser than all those managers who must collectively need their heads knocking together for making such a huge gaff 🤣

Edited by volpeazzurro
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, FoxyLeon said:

Very harsh on a great servant of the club and a mainstay of our title winning team, fair enough that you personally don’t rate him but many others can see how he has contributed to the team in the years he’s been with us.

• Like 2

Only 2-3 weeks out after the Moscow game. Old Sharkey's legs must be made from girders. Honestly feared the worst when i saw that challenge and was fully expecting the stretcher and then him limping off the plane home in a leg cast. How he did not get his leg broken, which at this point in his career could well have spelt the end,  is a miracle and if that was not a straight red card challenge then i don't know what is.  Absolutely shocking and tantamount to GBH. UEFA really should take another look at that and impose some sort of retrospective punishment.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, tickler28 said:

I won't know how that wasn't changed to a red through VAR for as long as I live

Yeah, I thought at the time that looked like way more of a leg breaker than the Fofana one. It's like just because it was right near the end of the game the ref couldn't be arsed with the hassle. 

Once again it comes down to the appalling gulf in consistency with refs both at home and in Europe. Fofana gets his leg broken in a revenge tackle, no action, potential career ending assault on Albrighton only gets yellow, yet Perez is given a straight red for, admittedly a nasty looking but ultimately, accidental challenge.

Whilst i still think it was a bit harsh on the latter,  i can see why it was given but how on earth week in, week out, do we see far worse going unpunished. Even with VAR, mistakes and poor decisions will happen but all the majority of fans want to see is a modicum of consistency and fairness from officials. It really is time that the balance was redressed and match officials held accountable for their decisions rather than the current "looking after their own" tripe that we are served up by the ex refs turned pundits who simply never see any wrong and still cannot get away from the "refs union" mentality

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NasPb said:

Why in gods name do we NEVER appeal this stuff? The player who did that should be retroactively banned 

There should be a compensation fine available. When a club has a player put another club's player out of action for weeks, then a fine equivalent to 3 months' salary should be paid to the club that has lost the player's services. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SkidsFox said:

There should be a compensation fine available. When a club has a player put another club's player out of action for weeks, then a fine equivalent to 3 months' salary should be paid to the club that has lost the player's services. 

That would be a little too open to abuse probably.

Imagine you have a player not playing well, bought by the previous manager and whom the present manager doesn't really rate, he comes on as a sub to waste time late in the game, goes down after a foul and spends the next three months with the manager telling him to stay on the treatment table. Brilliant way for any football manager to pay a player he doesn't rate and doesn't want to start or keep.

Additionally, how many different clubs would then have paid the career wages of Andy Carroll or Darren Anderton lol

On a more serious note, retroactive bans really should be considered on these occasions. Intent is such a hard thing to prove, but it should have been dealt with on the night really.

On 23/10/2021 at 10:42, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Very harsh on a great servant of the club and a mainstay of our title winning team, fair enough that you personally don’t rate him but many others can see how he has contributed to the team in the years he’s been with us.

Matt Elliot scored 2 goals in a league cup final, I wouldn't have him anywhere near the side.

Albrighton was at the level of a few players in that side, like Simpson/Okazaki, he isn't anywhere near good enough for a side in this league outside the bottom 6.

I remember at the start of the season people saying he would be 'good for Burnley', well he wouldn't play ahead of Cornet/Mcneil.

58 minutes ago, FoxyLeon said:

Matt Elliot scored 2 goals in a league cup final, I wouldn't have him anywhere near the side.

Albrighton was at the level of a few players in that side, like Simpson/Okazaki, he isn't anywhere near good enough for a side in this league outside the bottom 6.

I remember at the start of the season people saying he would be 'good for Burnley', well he wouldn't play ahead of Cornet/Mcneil.

He got in our side who finished 5th only last season and had a good season playing regularly, largely as a right wing-back, so that's just not true is it.

I do think he's too old fashioned to be what you need from a winger these days, but he's still a perfectly good option to have as a wing-back in 3-5-2/3-4-1-2, which is what a lot of teams play these days.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...