Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
M0901

Marc Albrighton

Just now, Ric Flair said:

It's actually quite astonishing the longevity in efficiency and reliability we have gotten from certain members of that title winning side. We start to understand more how it might of happened in 2015/16, the longer time goes on. Fuchs, Morgan and Albrighton were all targets for criticism (I'm hugely guilty of this) in recent years when deployed as 1st choice and seen as underperforming/declining and the notion that weren't serious in our attempts to progress and rebuild. However as with all 3, they were or have become bit part players at our club and yet their output as a result has improved. They seldom let us down, last season Fuchs was unreal for a stretch of games in Oct and Nov when we had problems and Morgan as well stepped in and did a monumental job on occasions in recent years. Albrighton does the same year in, year out. He's had about 7 replacements for his position and yet he just waits, gets selected in whatever position and usually when shit hits the fan he's the one who starts to help turn it back around.

Genuine club stalwarts.

When things aren't going well, these are the types of lads you need in and around to help turn the favour. To Rodgers credit, I do think he's identified KDH and Albrighton as 2 players that will help turn fortunes around on the pitch. Their energy gets the crowd going and behind the team instead of sighing and groaning.

As a starter when things are going well Albrighton would be a horrific choice as he's incredibly limited, but he really does play an important role when the chips are down and it's something I've only come to appreciate recently.

• Like 3

On 02/03/2022 at 10:22, StriderHiryu said:

He should be! Boyhood fan of the club, has gone to become a legend for another club, winning the FA Cup and Premier League. My understanding is he didn't even want a massive new contract, just an extension! They really messed up big time with that one.

We almost did as well. He barely kicked a ball for us until Pearson started playing him at the back end of the season - and that pretty much coincided with the Great Escape. Sharky never looked back after that and we've had 7 solid years from him since.

Him not being brought in sooner is probably the only real selection balls-up Nigel made in his time here.

10 minutes ago, OntarioFox said:

We almost did as well. He barely kicked a ball for us until Pearson started playing him at the back end of the season - and that pretty much coincided with the Great Escape. Sharky never looked back after that and we've had 7 solid years from him since.

Him not being brought in sooner is probably the only real selection balls-up Nigel made in his time here.

It was the exact game vs West Ham he was brought in when we started winning and he was one of our best players in the great escape run at the end of that season.

Not saying he did it single handedly, far from it, but I don’t think it’s a coincidence. As said above, when the chips are down and players look demotivated he is the perfect player to bring in as his relentless energy and aggressive pressing get the crowd going and start to subconsciously ripple throughout the team.

He’s always been one of my favourite players, we all know he’s not the most talented on the ball, but whenever we desperately need to show some fight and energy, there’s been very very few to wear the Leicester shirt who have been as good at getting at the opposition, injecting energy into our play, getting the crowd going and helping shift the momentum of a game.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, OntarioFox said:

😆 🤣 

Off topic, Worth a thread in itself!

Off the top of my head, playing Vards and Kane wide. (Yes, I half fancied Kane as a player even then...it was obvious he was being played out of position). Playing Bertrand-esque Koncheski ahead of Jeff in the PL. Playing Cambiasso in a 2....so on and so forth...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sampson said:

It was the exact game vs West Ham he was brought in when we started winning and he was one of our best players in the great escape run at the end of that season.

Not saying he did it single handedly, far from it, but I don’t think it’s a coincidence. As said above, when the chips are down and players look demotivated he is the perfect player to bring in as his relentless energy and aggressive pressing get the crowd going and start to subconsciously ripple throughout the team.

He’s always been one of my favourite players, we all know he’s not the most talented on the ball, but whenever we desperately need to show some fight and energy, there’s been very very few to wear the Leicester shirt who have been as good at getting at the opposition, injecting energy into our play, getting the crowd going and helping shift the momentum of a game.

I mean to take nothing away from Albrighton, and of course Albrighton has being doing this for years, but now we have two of these, KDH brings the same / similar energy and tempo - such an important attribute in both players.

• Like 1

He took over as my fave when Kingy left. Quietly grafts away, not exactly fashionable but loyal and just seems like a really sound guy. Still got a cracking cross on him, which is probably where my personal frustration at Pearson blanking him for most of 14/15 stems from, because he could have easily notched double-figure assists with Ulloa on the end of them that year.

He isn't even REALLY that much of a veteran - might not be able to do it at the top level forever, but he's still only 32. In the same way as I hope to see us manage Vardy, I'd love to see him stick with us in a slowly-decreasing capacity for another 2 or 3 years if he's going to continue performing at the level he does.

On that note, there have been one or two occasions where many of us, myself included, have questioned whether his time with us was at an end, but like a few others - Morgan, Amartey and yes , even Vardy at the back end of the Puel days spring to mind - he's taken his opportunities from the fringes and regained his role in the team.

Has a few classic moments in his locker too. Wish he'd score more often, the one thing he's really missing, but there will always be Bruge, Sevilla, or him running to the corner flag at Wembley behind Youri, hands on head, mouth agape in disbelief.

I love the bloke. :wub:

Sharkey on average is probably our best performer in European competitions over the years.

Excellent performance, not just the goal and assist, but offensive play (had a brilliant left foot cross in the first half), great defensively, and his combination play with JJ was pure sauce.

LONG LIVE THE SHARK!

albrighton-200px.gif

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1