Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

I wonder if those who pay themselves  ‘salary/dividends’ which reduces their tax bill (although I imagine the self employed are the type of shareholder who use that properly) are going to be a bit stuffed on this ?  

I'd like to think I use the system properly and pay myself a monthly salary/dividend as advised by my accountant (providing I make enough profit to cover it). 

I've no idea how Rishi is going to address this in a fair way for all, but I really hope he doesn't shaft us :fc:

3 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Isn’t that down from the last few days, maybe that’s why the death toll was late being announced.

Bet there will be a load of pricks who see the numbers are down and therefore think we're over the worst so go back to their normal routines :rolleyes:  

I worked it out as a rise of 43 for the U.K. 

that’s another straw to clutch as it makes yesterday’s eighty odd look less concerning 

does anyone get a feeling from the CMO and CSO speaking earlier that they sounded like they thought this was currently headed where they expected it to and if we do it right from now on re distancing we could manage the first peak ??

they definitely indicated that they were ‘relaxed’ about allowing workers to be going in on the basis that enough of us are properly isolating to keep the modelling within it’s boundaries. 

Edited by st albans fox
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Wow, has that just been built or has it been repurposed I wonder?

Re-purposed. The ExCel is a massive venue for conventions and all sorts. They used it for the Olympics, I went to the Paralympics there. They were planning on having the Formula E race there but I doubt that's going to happen now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExCeL_London

5 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Wow, has that just been built or has it been repurposed I wonder?

it's an inspired choice tbh. Huge flat uncomplicated space with large scale read to use infrastructure of power and water connections, kitchens, load bays, food outlets for staff and cleaning teams in house.

Plus surrounded by 6/7 hotels of 200 rooms plus. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TamworthFoxes said:

That’s what I took from it. The whole strategy has always been to allow the nhs to be able to cope in terms of critical care beds.

5 days ago we were on the exact same trajectory as Italy in terms of death rates. Now we are miles behind thankfully.

Real positive signs in contrast to what it was looking like.

there’s no way that anyone can disagree with that ‘glass half full’ look at it ....... but I suspect we need a few more days data before we can begin to think we are going to significantly undershoot the dire situations in Italy and Spain ....

7 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

it's an inspired choice tbh. Huge flat uncomplicated space with large scale read to use infrastructure of power and water connections, kitchens, load bays, food outlets for staff and cleaning teams in house.

Plus surrounded by 6/7 hotels of 200 rooms plus. 

Are we seeing the influence of the army planners who have been brought into play the past ten/fourteen days ......... some decisions that actually make more sense than pose further questions 

1 hour ago, HankMarvin said:

Chief medical officer Chris Whitty pours cold water on claims tests for coronavirus immunity could be available at Boots in 'days' as he warns 'global bottleneck' of kits is hampering efforts to ramp up checks

hmmmm do the government secretly still want the herd immunity scenario.

Testing would halt the spread for many.

The way the press portray it and the questions asked today make it seem like we are the only country on earth to be suffering from this 

of course there is going to be a bottle neck for it every country in the world wants something that didn’t even exist a short while ago 

it’s also a gamble as we and other countries have brought something without even knowing if it will work to the standard that’s needed 

• Like 2

At most, he'll probably only get a slap on the wrist..

A drunk man has been arrested after allegedly coughing in a security guard's face to "cause panic" after a shop refused to serve him.

Leicestershire Police said the man coughed at the guard at about 10:00 GMT on Wednesday in a shop in Belgrave Gate, Leicester.

The 55-year-old was "promptly educated with a set of handcuffs", according to the force.

He remains in custody after being held on suspicion of a public order offence.

It will be interesting to see what the figures will be like next week. This week is going to still be pretty alarming, as the isolation period is only days old, we won’t see the snowball effect for at least two weeks I think. Healthy people need to really stay away, I’ve not seen my mum for three weeks, due to the fact she has chronic asthma and has had pneumonia, twice. So I’d say she’s high risk, so by locking myself in I massively reducing the risk of her getting it... hence why it’s so ****ing annoying to see some people just ignore the advice.

The death toll will gradually decrease, as will the infected number too. I think by week three we will be at a much better place, and we can probably lift this restriction somewhat. I don’t envisage a complete lift until the end of May/June..... but we will see.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

At most, he'll probably only get a slap on the wrist..

A drunk man has been arrested after allegedly coughing in a security guard's face to "cause panic" after a shop refused to serve him.

Leicestershire Police said the man coughed at the guard at about 10:00 GMT on Wednesday in a shop in Belgrave Gate, Leicester.

The 55-year-old was "promptly educated with a set of handcuffs", according to the force.

He remains in custody after being held on suspicion of a public order offence.

A guy was sent down for 12 years in prison for deliberately infecting people with HIV a couple of years back in Brighton.

Surely there's a legal precedent for putting people in prison for a long time if they deliberately spreading a deadly virus?

Edited by Sampson
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

It will be interesting to see what the figures will be like next week. This week is going to still be pretty alarming, as the isolation period is only days old, we won’t see the snowball effect for at least two weeks I think. Healthy people need to really stay away, I’ve not seen my mum for three weeks, due to the fact she has chronic asthma and has had pneumonia, twice. So I’d say she’s high risk, so by locking myself in I massively reducing the risk of her getting it... hence why it’s so ****ing annoying to see some people just ignore the advice.

Yes- I think 3/4 weeks actually for it to work through the number of deaths but positive case rate should begin to drop by end week 3. 

1 hour ago, TamworthFoxes said:

That’s what I took from it. The whole strategy has always been to allow the nhs to be able to cope in terms of critical care beds.

5 days ago we were on the exact same trajectory as Italy in terms of death rates. Now we are miles behind thankfully.

Real positive signs in contrast to what it was looking like.

I'm strugglign to find a good chart comparing us and Italy, have you found one anywhere?

8 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

A CORONAVIRUS home test kit will be available "within days" - from Amazon and Boots, the Government has revealed.

The finger-**** test will be able to determine whether someone has already had Covid-19.

Pretty much all you need to know.

Just a thought...

so lets  say its true with home Test kits.....What will NHS und Government do....???

Your Test is positive...you isolate..After Isolation you still prove positive,feeling terrible..!!!

This wont be people in their 100s,but mostly 1000s if Not 10,000. Where do they go..??

Edited by fuchsntf

4 minutes ago, Magictv said:

I'm strugglign to find a good chart comparing us and Italy, have you found one anywhere?

The initial one they released as a scare mongering tool is in this 235 page thread somewhere and it did have us on the same trajectory but 14 days behind. I have since kept it in my work email and added our figures everyday, for the last 4 days we have been no where near it and if we were would be on over 800 deaths at this point. 
Truly terrifying numbers which thankfully we seem to be steering away from. 
Hopefully people will use the positive news (it may prove to be an anomaly) as a motivator to carry on and not an excuse to relax and get complacent.