Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

5 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Are we now testing at airports? If not then we're bonkers!

Shouldn’t be allowing anyone in except returning British nationals/ permanent residents here, and then they should be told to isolate straight away. I don’t think we will be testing them though as we don’t seem to be able to test NHS staff properly until at least next week. 

My eldest son works in a nursing home.  He's worked in this sector for the past fifteen years.  He was issued with a mask just a week ago.

I once met the owner of a small chain of nursing homes and asked him the awkward question regarding how residents families could possibly be able to afford the fees.  He replied that although the fees were high, they were generally not paid over a long period of time - the average stay in a nursing home was only six months.

These nursing homes are filled with some of the most vulnerable in our society near the ends of their lives.  Any severe illness results in a transfer to hospital.

This sector is receiving much less attention than the NHS, but may be adding to the pressure put upon it.  I'd be interested to learn if there is any data out there regarding the number of infections and deaths in hospital where the victims have come from nursing homes.  More attention may have to be paid to this sector.

8 hours ago, foxile5 said:

How long can this lockdown go on for, on reality. 

People haven't managed a week very well. What's it going to be like after two more. 

I think it’ll be several weeks yet and maybe more if people still aren’t taking this seriously and still meeting up with other residents outside of theirs. I’m seeing it every night still and it’s starting to make my blood boil. 

• Like 1

My youngest son flew back into China from Bangkok yesterday before the returning travellers lock down starts today. He will have 14 days quarantine before he can get back to work. He had his temperature taken 6 times between  leaving the airplane and exiting the airport! Clearly they are taking things very seriously... we should too.     

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MattP said:

Good thread here.

The Chinese and the WHO have a lot to answer for.

Interesting read.

It does seem that up until the end of Feb the WHO and relevant authorities had limited or incorrect information to go on and that played a pretty key part in what happened next and so China should indeed answer for that. However, judging by this thread alone it seems a mite simplistic and, yet again, politically convenient, to just blame them, because:

- what about decisions made post-Feb in the UK when things were abundantly clearer?

- does it justify the clear lack of preparation and international collaboration on same for something like this practically everywhere (with a few notable exceptions)?

It's a mite frustrating that things on here seem to keep coming back to simple inference of "blame the Chinese, not ourselves, whoever we are" when the issue is clearly much more complex than that and I'm having to give the same rebuttal over and over, even though it's concerning a regime that I have no love for and would very much like to see brought low.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Are we now testing at airports? If not then we're bonkers!

The only thing we can check is fever - given that the virus is now widespread in our communities, does it really matter any more if a few passengers are incubating it or actually suffering?  The incubating bit impossible to detect anyway.

6 minutes ago, LestaAl said:

My youngest son flew back into China from Bangkok yesterday before the returning travellers lock down starts today. He will have 14 days quarantine before he can get back to work. He had his temperature taken 6 times between  leaving the airplane and exiting the airport! Clearly they are taking things very seriously... we should too.     

temperature stations have been widespread in the Far East for decades (ever since SARS) - you expect to be ‘gunned’ as you walk towards a boarding gate or on arrival. We simply don’t have that mentality over here.

the two week quarantine on arrival has been used in a few countries now it’s clear how well it works.  The problem here is that few would have observed it and we don’t have the structure to check up on vast numbers of people. 

9 hours ago, foxile5 said:

How long can this lockdown go on for, on reality. 

People haven't managed a week very well. What's it going to be like after two more. 

It will go on for the three weeks and then even tighter restrictions will be introduced for another three weeks. Those tighter restrictions will last until cases and deaths start to drop then some sort of social distancing will carry on for the next 6 weeks after that. 

Everyone needs to realise this is for the long haul, it won’t be over in a week or two. Weeks to months possibly even years if a vaccine isn’t found. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lionator said:

It will go on for the three weeks and then even tighter restrictions will be introduced for another three weeks. Those tighter restrictions will last until cases and deaths start to drop then some sort of social distancing will carry on for the next 6 weeks after that. 

Everyone needs to realise this is for the long haul, it won’t be over in a week or two. Weeks to months possibly even years if a vaccine isn’t found. 

I think the antibody testing results will dictate everything re the length of restrictions ........

and not the initial testing 3.5 m which are going to be used for NHS staff and the vulnerable/ key workers 

the following 3.5 m which should be a general study of the wider population irrespective of whether they think they’ve had it. 

14 minutes ago, Lionator said:

I'm convinced this a one year haul. 

From what I'm reading, on the balance of probabilties a vaccine of some sort is doable inside 12 months (tho not certain).

And again on the balance of probabilties, the health services will develop some.kind of best practice to mitigate symptoms. 

I'm treating this mentally as if I'm doing a year's chokey. 

• Like 1

The pharmacy I use now hands out repeat prescriptions outside their premises, if customers don't want to go inside. One insurance company I do business with has even stopped accepting post. Social distancing is going to be really tough to maintain in the long term, and the prospect of it lasting a year or more is truly horrendous.

the Chinese have all but eliminated it within two months of taking it v seriously ......... we may lack their social discipline but there is no reason why we cannot do the same, with some hot spot areas remaining on tighter lock downs than others in may. The idea that we don’t have this current outbreak fairly well under control by the beginning June is surely wrong. However, how we ensure that it doesn’t simply start up again and respread widely is the question - that will rely on personal responsibility..........

26 minutes ago, Lionator said:

It's not going to last years ffs.

I was speaking to somebody yesterday who let’s say is a senior member of staff in a large hospital. They reckon we shut up shop 3 weeks too late (prioritising the economy over lives) and now sadly there won’t be enough ventilators and staff will have to pick who lives and who doesn’t.

And I thought my work was stressful at the moment.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

the Chinese have all but eliminated it within two months of taking it v seriously ......... we may lack their social discipline but there is no reason why we cannot do the same, with some hot spot areas remaining on tighter lock downs than others in may. The idea that we don’t have this current outbreak fairly well under control by the beginning June is surely wrong. However, how we ensure that it doesn’t simply start up again and respread widely is the question - that will rely on personal responsibility..........

That's a rather euphemistic way of putting it.

3 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Absolutely no chance lol

Can only assume you are pulling a multitude of legs

1 minute ago, Dahnsouff said:

Absolutely no chance lol

Can only assume you are pulling a multitude of legs

I guess you have a fair point .... those countries who can practice self discipline will get back to normal more quickly ....... surely it’s up to the vast majority to show those who are behaving unacceptably that their actions are as socially abhorrent as drink driving ??.

Guest MattP
20 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

I was speaking to somebody yesterday who let’s say is a senior member of staff in a large hospital. They reckon we shut up shop 3 weeks too late (prioritising the economy over lives) and now sadly there won’t be enough ventilators and staff will have to pick who lives and who doesn’t.

And I thought my work was stressful at the moment.

A senior member of staff in a hospital isn't going to be omniscient on the modelling Imperial College were doing to assess when the best time was going into lockdown. 

On all the models produced at some point the health service was going to be over capacity without enough ventilators, but you have to choose one to go down and we've gone with trying to flatten the curve over a long period of time to delay whilst we increase capacity for a potential second wave.

No one is going to know who got it right until next year when the winter is over.

25 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

It's not going to last years ffs.

Unless this is incredibly contagious (possible) and some sort of herd immunity has been built, there will have to be sort of social distancing measures until a vaccine is produced. That could be a year however safety and efficacy tests mean it’ll more likely be 18 months to two years if it works. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

That all hinges on whether or not you think the Chinese government are being honest. 

I absolutely do not think that. 

• Like 1