Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

3 hours ago, WigstonWanderer said:

I find the idea that the west didn’t realise that this virus was a serious problem ludicrous. It was quite clear from towards end of January that this was a real potential problem for the whole world. Western leaders spent February in denial when they could have been preparing and trying to ensure that community spread was kept under control.

2 hours ago, Strokes said:

The trouble was it was already here by February, @Toddybad says our first death was in feb (I’ve not seen it confirmed yet but it wouldn’t surprise me).

Whilst western leaders haven’t painted themselves in glory, the plans in all countries has been to manage this, not eradicate it, stop it or contain it. That’s on China. China are an absolute disgrace and should be made pariah’s when this is all over.

We might not have acted soon enough but China knowingly let this out of their borders and that’s unforgivable.

There are some serious lessons to be learned by the western world after this. Clearly most governments had no bloody clue how to handle this and in 2020 that is a bloody joke. It's time the world stops depending on China so much for cheap everything and bring back some quality and jobs. Obviously we need things from China but to be so dependent on them is a national crisis if you ask me.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

No

I hope she is going to say sorry, as her Royal Supermarket Waitrose has been sh*t during this lockdown

Edited by Dahnsouff

Guest Harrydc
3 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

No

What could it be about then? Its very rare she does something like this 

Just now, Harrydc said:

It will be a reminder that we are a great nation, a proud nation and that we are all there for each other.  In times of crisis, that's when we really come together with strength and unity and we can overcome anything.

There'll be a big thank you to the NHS and other key workers.

There'll be a warning that worse might be to come.

Dig deep, stick together (albeit 2 metres apart) and we will get back to normal.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Harrydc said:

It'll just be addressing the nation. Reiterating the messages about staying at home, and remarking on how we all have a part to play in fighting the spread, but that the country will come out of this stronger. It'll be a bit like the Christmas message.

6 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

It'll just be addressing the nation. Reiterating the messages about staying at home, and remarking on how we all have a part to play in fighting the spread, but that the country will come out of this stronger. It'll be a bit like the Christmas message.

Could be another anus horribilis

41 minutes ago, MattP said:

To be honest we should have made China a pariah long before this on the basis of its slave labour, internment camps, wet markets, environmental abuse, slaughter for ivory, currency manipulation, human rights record, coal dumping and mass surveillance.

Coronavirus is just another piece of shit to emerge from the place. If it wasn't so powerful we would treat it like North Korea. No country comes close to the damage this lot are doing and I'm genuinely surprised at how many in the West are coming out to bat (no pun intended) for them. (Although I fully expected it from Richard Burgon)

How would that work then. The whole world loves cheap goods, and china supplies the world with cheap goods. Over a period of about 60 years the west has been slowly de-industrialising their own countries whilst at the same time creating the tiger economy.

• Like 1

Just me that thinks PL players are getting a bit of a rough deal here?

Hancock almost being forced to single them out by the Times reporter was uncalled for. If anything, it's the billionaire owners who should be held culpable, not just players. The players didn't enforce the 80% wage/furloughing being imposed on non-playing staff. 

What about other billionaires owners of other companies, retailers asking for help from taxpayers (Branson, Green etc) - why were they not picked on?

There's several players already giving lots of donations/commitments to charities or NHS services, and just because it's not a public announcement doesn't mean it's not being done. Some players like to do things a bit quieter or may not want the publicity. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, WigstonWanderer said:

I find the idea that the west didn’t realise that this virus was a serious problem ludicrous. It was quite clear from towards end of January that this was a real potential problem for the whole world. Western leaders spent February in denial when they could have been preparing and trying to ensure that community spread was kept under control.

They're not really leaders though are they, they're temporary managers of something that's already there, they're alright as long as nothing goes wrong. Boris couldn't make an instant decision based on what is best for this nation in a million years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, l444ry said:

For those still trying to deny (to us amateurs) that herd immunity was government policy, you probably need to convince us that these eminent politicians are/were wrong first.

Seems odd logic to insist that if you want to know government policy, please listen to non-government ex-ministers and ex-MPs first, but OK.

It seems to me that Rory Burns is saying that there is disagreement among the scientific community regarding the approach.  I imagine as part of their consultation herd immunity was put to the government, modelled and dismissed so I imagine that the government would agree with him.  We may not have been putting in Draconian measures at that time that others were, but we are on a different timeline to those countries and the importance of staged interventions has been explained to us by the experts and also the reasons why.

Find me the quote from the government that says we are pursuing herd immunity as our policy and stop hearing what you want to hear.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Jattdogg said:

There are some serious lessons to be learned by the western world after this. Clearly most governments had no bloody clue how to handle this and in 2020 that is a bloody joke. It's time the world stops depending on China so much for cheap everything and bring back some quality and jobs. Obviously we need things from China but to be so dependent on them is a national crisis if you ask me.

Sadly we are all the problem from the China perspective. 

I have worked in the rag trade for 30years.  Back in the 90's lots of my suppliers were in the UK, Lesta, Manchester etc.  The Tacky Max's, Primark, Sports Directs turned up, we shopped at those stores but even the M & S, Next's suppliers bases are in the Far east and particularly China, they do the volume and the price.

If we drive prices down, and we have and thats electricals as well etc.  THE RETAILERS are going to look for where it can be sourced cheapest.  Sadly now that so many have been furloughed, unemployed, no doubt paying heavily increased taxes over the next 5-10 years to pay this back we will still want the cheapest kit.  We won't want to pay more now I suspect.

I have said this before the post mortem eventually will point the finger at China at some point, if they had blocked as much as humanly possible any transport out in Dec/Jan would have saved 50k lives now and god knows how much economically.

The second the disease source say we have something and there is any quick rise, shut that exit, that will flatten the curve and buy the time, but then go and help them corale it there and try and contain the spread as much as possible.

4 minutes ago, The boy Linacre said:

Sadly we are all the problem from the China perspective. 

I have worked in the rag trade for 30years.  Back in the 90's lots of my suppliers were in the UK, Lesta, Manchester etc.  The Tacky Max's, Primark, Sports Directs turned up, we shopped at those stores but even the M & S, Next's suppliers bases are in the Far east and particularly China, they do the volume and the price.

If we drive prices down, and we have and thats electricals as well etc.  THE RETAILERS are going to look for where it can be sourced cheapest.  Sadly now that so many have been furloughed, unemployed, no doubt paying heavily increased taxes over the next 5-10 years to pay this back we will still want the cheapest kit.  We won't want to pay more now I suspect.

I have said this before the post mortem eventually will point the finger at China at some point, if they had blocked as much as humanly possible any transport out in Dec/Jan would have saved 50k lives now and god knows how much economically.

The second the disease source say we have something and there is any quick rise, shut that exit, that will flatten the curve and buy the time, but then go and help them corale it there and try and contain the spread as much as possible.

No doubt. Its complex and im aware of that hence why we cant nor shouldnt stop all trade  etc. But when it comes to things like medicines, medical supplies,  key things that you  need to sustain life we need a better plan.

Edited by Jattdogg

8 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Just me that thinks PL players are getting a bit of a rough deal here?

Hancock almost being forced to single them out by the Times reporter was uncalled for. If anything, it's the billionaire owners who should be held culpable, not just players. The players didn't enforce the 80% wage/furloughing being imposed on non-playing staff. 

What about other billionaires owners of other companies, retailers asking for help from taxpayers (Branson, Green etc) - why were they not picked on?

There's several players already giving lots of donations/commitments to charities or NHS services, and just because it's not a public announcement doesn't mean it's not being done. Some players like to do things a bit quieter or may not want the publicity. 

There might be something in it if the players followed the lead of Juventus & Barca.  They would probably help themselves.

But if I was Mar Hancock I would concentrate on hitting your testing targets, not get even close, and then dreaming up numbers you wan't hit by the end of the month.

We've all the act of changing the focus when you're not doing what you're supposed, Mr Trump is an expert at it.

5 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

“SCIENTISTS are advising people to close the toilet before flushing as they say coronavirus can be spread through airborne poo particles“

keep everyone safe and wear a nappy

Is shutting the lid after a shit not normal?

One i contains the stink, to it stops the poo particles.

its like washing your hands, there is no good reason not to do it! 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

“SCIENTISTS are advising people to close the toilet before flushing as they say coronavirus can be spread through airborne poo particles“

keep everyone safe and wear a nappy

That implies that some people don't already do that :blink: