Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

1 minute ago, Facecloth said:

Lockdown could be relaxed in weeks, if we do as we're told. Surely that should be enough to encourage people to at home.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-uk-lockdown-could-be-relaxed-in-weeks-says-top-govt-adviser-11968358

Hopefully people have got it into their heads now that doing as instructed should benefit us soon. We were going to be given draconian measures at some point- they are here currently. Then we'll gradually see a relaxation of the measures because we've done the right thing.

This isn't what anyone wants but what needs to be done.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

...all so easy to simply say 'build British, buy British" rather than considering the nuances of the situation, isn't it?

For what it's worth I'm hoping that one day technology advances will mean that a great many items and foodstuffs can be created on demand "locally", but we're certainly a ways away from that yet.

This is one to bookmark, Mac in a Trump/Cummings world, whereby 3D printing everything locally usurps globalised supply chains

• Like 1

Well, has I've said before, still do not know if I've had it but after feeling unwell after the last home match my lungs still do not feel right, slowly getting better but they still feel a bit stiff at the back and still a tickly throat which leads to slight coughing fits at times.

If I have had it, then it really is a bitch to get over and if not, well, not going to think about it and just hope I'm lucky.

Hope others who were feeling unwell are doing reasonably well too.

Edited by ithuriel

31 minutes ago, January47 said:

It’s at the bottom of the Italy page on the worldometer site

"Italy: the real number of COVID-19 cases in the country could be 5,000,0000 (compared to the 119,827 confirmed ones) according to a study which polled people with symptoms who have not been tested, and up to 10,000,000 or even 20,0000,000 after taking into account asymptomatic cases, according to Carlo La Vecchia, a Professor of Medical Statistics and Epidemiology at the Statale di Milano University.

This number would still be insufficient to reach herd immunity, which would require 2/3 of the population (about 40,000,000 people in Italy) having contracted the virus [source].

The number of deaths could also be underestimated by 3/4 (in Italy as well as in other countries) [source], meaning that the real number of deaths in Italy could be around 60,000.

If these estimates were true, the mortality rate from COVID-19  would be much lower (around 25 times less) than the case fatality rate based solely on laboratory-confirmed cases and deaths, since it would be underestimating cases (the denominator) by a factor of about 1/100 and deaths by a factor of 1/4."

I guess most of this is all relatively good news if true. 

11 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

This is one to bookmark, Mac in a Trump/Cummings world, whereby 3D printing everything locally usurps globalised supply chains

lol

If that's their policy then so be it - cutting out or reducing the simply massive carbon footprint caused by global transportation of resources (among other such footprint sources, of course, but that is one of the biggest ones) is quite likely imperative, unless there's some other way to reduce it by making the transports themselves more environmentally friendly. That is though, as said above, a damn long way off and until then we have what we have.

I still really don't expect the Trump administration to do anything positive for the environment except by accident, though.

1 hour ago, Beechey said:

I know what it is, I'm trying to look for a citation on the claim that Boris Johnson said to "go out and get it".

Don't worry, there isn't one.  You just know that some people have searched and searched and searched for it and the best they can come up with is a mention here and there about what herd immunity means.  There must be some very frustrated people out there!  lol

59 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

You can’t 3D print everything and anything metal still has to be machined afterwards and then it can only be non load bearing components because of the grain structure.

12 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

A daily death rate exceeding 700 barely raises an eyebrow ....... shocking yet expected 

It's not nice reading that many people have died, but theres nothing we can do except continue to follow the social distancing rule and avoiding going out unless necessary. Just carry on and hope that like other places, these measures will work. Just gotta roll with it basically and don't get to hung up on those numbers.

6 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

You can’t 3D print everything and anything metal still has to be machined afterwards and then it can only be non load bearing components because of the grain structure.

I didn't say you could but at crudely simple level that's a world those two envisage

55 minutes ago, Lionator said:

"Italy: the real number of COVID-19 cases in the country could be 5,000,0000 (compared to the 119,827 confirmed ones) according to a study which polled people with symptoms who have not been tested, and up to 10,000,000 or even 20,0000,000 after taking into account asymptomatic cases, according to Carlo La Vecchia, a Professor of Medical Statistics and Epidemiology at the Statale di Milano University.

This number would still be insufficient to reach herd immunity, which would require 2/3 of the population (about 40,000,000 people in Italy) having contracted the virus [source].

The number of deaths could also be underestimated by 3/4 (in Italy as well as in other countries) [source], meaning that the real number of deaths in Italy could be around 60,000.

If these estimates were true, the mortality rate from COVID-19  would be much lower (around 25 times less) than the case fatality rate based solely on laboratory-confirmed cases and deaths, since it would be underestimating cases (the denominator) by a factor of about 1/100 and deaths by a factor of 1/4."

I guess most of this is all relatively good news if true. 

If true it would be extremely good news amidst all this although no solace to those affected. It would mean that Italy could potentially approach the fabled herd immunity levels in the next month or two. It’s actually what the original theory said would happen they just underestimated the rate of spread.

however the assumption that everyone who had the symptoms also had the disease seems unlikely. Although the next extrapolation from symptomatic cases to all cases is supported by recent data.

6 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

At the present time.

But yes, until the time that technology helps with that problem we will continue to have supply chains all over the world and that should be acknowledged and worked within rather than pretending it doesn't have to be so.

1 hour ago, Facecloth said:

Lockdown could be relaxed in weeks, if we do as we're told. Surely that should be enough to encourage people to at home.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-uk-lockdown-could-be-relaxed-in-weeks-says-top-govt-adviser-11968358

1 hour ago, Corky said:

Hopefully people have got it into their heads now that doing as instructed should benefit us soon. We were going to be given draconian measures at some point- they are here currently. Then we'll gradually see a relaxation of the measures because we've done the right thing.

This isn't what anyone wants but what needs to be done.

Most sensible people knew from the start that if we comply now we will be out of this lockdown/restriction period sooner rather than later. 

Sadly I think people's lack of foresight and selfishness overpower anything else. I'm dreading tomorrow and the reports of people gathering just cos it's sunny. While they fail to realise that if they do that, in big numbers they'll miss out on the much warmer weather in summer with the potential for further restrictions to be put in place. Do as we're told now and reap the rewards for it later in the year. 

I can only hope for all of us that the lockdown is restricted by the end of the month, or sooner! 

• Like 1

I've always said I'm fine with the grotesque wealth in the Premier League as long as they're paying their taxes and that. They generate the wealth from all over the world and the taxation on that is surely a boon for the UK economy, so as long as they make a massive net contribution to the economy I'm absolutely fine with the numbers.

Premier League clubs using the furlough scheme is a joke, taking money right from every one of us for nothing in return, and it is completely unacceptable. I will not pay another penny towards professional football in this country.

Guest Markyblue
42 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

It's not nice reading that many people have died, but theres nothing we can do except continue to follow the social distancing rule and avoiding going out unless necessary. Just carry on and hope that like other places, these measures will work. Just gotta roll with it basically and don't get to hung up on those numbers.

New cases have dropped which is the real important statistic,  if it continues and hopefully it will social distancing is beginning to kickin. So keep in and keep safe everyone. 

13 minutes ago, Bryn said:

I've always said I'm fine with the grotesque wealth in the Premier League as long as they're paying their taxes and that. They generate the wealth from all over the world and the taxation on that is surely a boon for the UK economy, so as long as they make a massive net contribution to the economy I'm absolutely fine with the numbers.

Premier League clubs using the furlough scheme is a joke, taking money right from every one of us for nothing in return, and it is completely unacceptable. I will not pay another penny towards professional football in this country.

If the average wage is 60 grand a week that’s something like 700 million a year in taxes. That’s an awful lot of public sector workers wages.