Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

36 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

All of these articles are being put out in order to prepare us for a harsher lock down IMO. It'll come at the end of this week and they'll say it's due to people not sticking to the rules and guidelines.

We had the same story in Ireland 2 weeks ago. A lot of people went off to beaches and parks which were packed so the government helped put a stop to that last weekend.

As regards the duration of this I would be slightly optimistic that we will get this under control sooner rather than later.

What happened in Italy and Spain is very sad but they were taken unaware. The scale and the speed of it has overwhelmed them. As the weeks have gone by we have started to have more awareness and more of a response in distancing and staying indoors. Plus keeping those most at risk shielded as best we can.

Even there has been a shift in industry towards tackling the virus. GTech, Ford, Dyson and Seat are all aiming to build ventilators. Also you have the likes of Under Armour and New Balance getting involved in PPE. O'Neills are doing something similar over here. More and more resources will go into tackling the crisis in place of other forms. It would be a good way to re-introduce some form of employment and keep the economy going If measures like ventilators and PPE make an impact. And then reduce the burden on the Health services.

Comparisons can be made to the Spanish Flu but that came at a time when the world was decimated by WW1. The economy was on the floor, tensions between countries was higher, and medicine/engineering has moved on since.

I had no reason to doubt the predictions of a vaccine being 18 months away but the eternal optimist in me is hopeful that we might have returned to some form of normality by then regardless.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, EastAnglianFox said:

I like to read what this guy has to say every time I get close to a panic over the current situation. 

Really key figure is the new hospital admissions. Death toll is thise deaths actually recorded not the actual deaths so likely to be higher as there will be a time lag between some being reported and actually happening.

3 hours ago, TheUltimateWinner said:

I think there will be some cultural hangovers from this now to be honest with you.

One big plus is I think business travel will permanently change. I can't see as many people traveling all around the world just for a meeting now that most companies have something in place for video conferencing.

I'm hopeful that one outcome of all this will be that there is a realisation that here isn't really any need for many workers  - primarily the office based ones - to be forced into a particular location. Let them work for home with regular events to make teams feel like teams. Imagine the positive impact by reducing pollution and traffic, and letting people work around their home life. Do that without the current restrictions on what can be done with the time saved not travelling through rush hour and it would be a huge positive for working people.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, pSinatra said:

It wasn't really human error now, was it. It was a calculated decision to do exactly what she wanted to. Human error is pressing the wrong button on the remote control, or picking up the salt when you wanted the pepper. Not going against government, and in fact your own, advice and clearing off for a couple of weekends at your holiday home! 

She needs to resign. 

• Like 4

Sort of sounds like: "she's an arrogant hypocrite, I'd love to sack her for putting me in this position. But the fact is: there isn't anyone else who can do her job right now."

Sounds like she did offer to resign. Not sure she'll be in the job after this is all over - journalists and the public won't let her forget it. At the very least she can't be the person telling the public what to do. If she has a deputy I'd bring them out for all public announcements.

And if this is her decision making: it's rare that someone with such poor judgement hasn't made mistakes in the past. I sort of wonder why were the press following her in the first place and do they have more dirt on her.

Edited by Guesty
  • Like 1

Just now, Guesty said:

Sort of sounds like: "she's an arrogant hypocrite, I'd love to sack her for putting me in this position. But the fact is: there isn't anyone else who can do her job right now."

Sounds like she did offer to resign. Not sure she'll be in the job after this is all over - journalists and the public won't let her forget it. At the very least she can't be the person telling the public what to do. If she has a deputy I'd bring them out for all public announcements.

And if this is her decision making: it's rare that someone with such poor judgement hasn't made mistakes in the past. I sort of wonder why were the press following her in the first place and do they have more dirt on her.

Thats the sad reality of it. I say they should dock her wages and if she quits then she comes across as a massive cu nt.

2 minutes ago, Guesty said:

I sort of wonder why were the press following her in the first place and do they have more dirt on her.

As CMO for Scotland with the current situation it seems obvious to me why the press would be monitoring her movements, hrad to believe but msybe they thought there was a good news story developing as a result of her travels.

There are enough idiots in this country without the CMO not practising what she is preaching. Still, she was probably copying the Prince of Wales who self-isolated in Scotland away from his usual address at Highgrove House!!

8 minutes ago, kingfox said:

Great Central way is like the Tour de France today, ridiculous.

Then I passed a group of five students, guess social distancing doesn’t apply to them.

Maybe they live together...:dunno:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, reynard said:

Really key figure is the new hospital admissions. Death toll is thise deaths actually recorded not the actual deaths so likely to be higher as there will be a time lag between some being reported and actually happening.

Looks like admissions have gone up after appearing to plateau somewhat ..... expected given that it’s only two weeks since the pubs were shut ......

1 hour ago, Ian Norman Droid said:

I'm hopeful that one outcome of all this will be that there is a realisation that here isn't really any need for many workers  - primarily the office based ones - to be forced into a particular location. Let them work for home with regular events to make teams feel like teams. Imagine the positive impact by reducing pollution and traffic, and letting people work around their home life. Do that without the current restrictions on what can be done with the time saved not travelling through rush hour and it would be a huge positive for working people.

The reduction in traffic and environmental benefits would certainly be welcome.The downside would be more people chucked on the dole.