Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

Guest MattP
3 minutes ago, KFS said:

Once again as a New York resident, I’m going to have to disagree with your sensationalist posts on the US, Matt.

The US has tested over double the UK has, also has three times less death per 1million of population. Granted, we are roughly 2 weeks ahead of you in all of this, and the way this works means yes, deaths with rise in the thousands every day until it curves. 

The only country currently who has out trended it’s estimated curve, I.e more than the predicted cases and deaths, is the U.K. The US, Italy and Spain all coming in under the latest predicted curves.

Dr Birx and Dr Fauci are saying 100,000s of lives will be lost, and maybe you guys missed this bit, if the precautions are not followed. I.e if they have a similar spread as NY in other states. Slimy Donald is also calling 100,000s of deaths so when it’s much less than that he can claim a campaign win later. Remember there is a planned election this year.

Last week I read a BBC article about what the US has done wrong in this crisis and as I’m reading down, every key topic I am looking at, Boris has fvcked up for the U.K. at the same degree if not more on the U.K. front. Governor Cuomo and Mayor De Blasio for example had sourced 4,400 ventilators for the NY region recently (with 1,100 more on the way) and I read that your promised 30,000 in the U.K. turned up as 30? 

Please do not get wound up in the sensationalist media and stick to factual sources. Anecdotally, we were being told to do more here two weeks earlier than you guys were. Begging my asthmatic parents not to go to work because it was unclear if they were key workers or not, was not fun. Comparatively here it was made very clear who and who shouldn’t be going to work. Even then the subway was derelict compared to some of the scenes I saw from the underground. 

Clearly I do not want any level of illness or death for my countrymen and women.  My family is there and quite honestly it scares me how little was done early on and the repercussions of that. Which isn’t just a U.K statement. 

New York is in trouble currently but we’re doing our part and the governors are performing with what they have. It is pissing me off, however, reading some of the things I am as a resident here. It’s clear from my move over that the media reports things very differently cross border. 

Only five countries in the World have a higher death count than New York on its own. Yesterday the place had more deaths than some whole widely effected countries in Europe.

If that isn't a "disaster zone" I don't know what is to be honest.

The whole "testing, testing, testing" mantra from the WHO doesn't seem to be managing to flatten the curve even in comparison to countries that aren't doing it expensively.

Guest Markyblue
16 minutes ago, KFS said:

Once again as a New York resident, I’m going to have to disagree with your sensationalist posts on the US, Matt.

The US has tested over double the UK has, also has three times less death per 1million of population. Granted, we are roughly 2 weeks ahead of you in all of this, and the way this works means yes, deaths with rise in the thousands every day until it curves. 

The only country currently who has out trended it’s estimated curve, I.e more than the predicted cases and deaths, is the U.K. The US, Italy and Spain all coming in under the latest predicted curves.

Dr Birx and Dr Fauci are saying 100,000s of lives will be lost, and maybe you guys missed this bit, if the precautions are not followed. I.e if they have a similar spread as NY in other states. Slimy Donald is also calling 100,000s of deaths so when it’s much less than that he can claim a campaign win later. Remember there is a planned election this year.

Last week I read a BBC article about what the US has done wrong in this crisis and as I’m reading down, every key topic I am looking at, Boris has fvcked up for the U.K. at the same degree if not more on the U.K. front. Governor Cuomo and Mayor De Blasio for example had sourced 4,400 ventilators for the NY region recently (with 1,100 more on the way) and I read that your promised 30,000 in the U.K. turned up as 30? 

Please do not get wound up in the sensationalist media and stick to factual sources. Anecdotally, we were being told to do more here two weeks earlier than you guys were. Begging my asthmatic parents not to go to work because it was unclear if they were key workers or not, was not fun. Comparatively here it was made very clear who and who shouldn’t be going to work. Even then the subway was derelict compared to some of the scenes I saw from the underground. 

Clearly I do not want any level of illness or death for my countrymen and women.  My family is there and quite honestly it scares me how little was done early on and the repercussions of that. Which isn’t just a U.K statement. 

New York is in trouble currently but we’re doing our part and the governors are performing with what they have. It is pissing me off, however, reading some of the things I am as a resident here. It’s clear from my move over that the media reports things very differently cross border. 

You state that the uk has out trended its estimates curve and has more deaths and infections than predicted,  that is flat out not true, from the very early days we were told less than 20000 deaths would be a"good" outcome, well the latest i read from the experts at imperial college who are advising the government is hopefully between 7000 and 20000 deaths so where do you get the more deaths than predicted from. This isn't a contest who's doing best but lets stick to the facts.

47 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

In the USA, I suppose the scale of the disaster will partly depend on how effective the lockdowns are - and how compliant people are.

From what I've read, lockdowns do already apply in most states - and the ones holding out against lockdowns seem to be less populated, rural states.

But I've also seen reports suggesting that, nationwide, compliance seems much poorer than in most European countries (as per @Lionator's post above while I was writing this!).

At the moment, the vast majority of infections and deaths are in New York and neighbouring states, and in a few other hotspots like Washington state, Louisiana and Michigan.

With lockdowns already in place, it seems like good news that infection and death rates have yet to rocket in some other highly-populated states.

I'm thinking, in particular, of California (40m people) and Florida (only 21m, but a high proportion of retirees).

But it's early days so let's hope low compliance doesn't allow things nationally to get like New York. The longer-term impact would extend to us, given the importance of the USA in the global economy.

Back in the UK, I'm going to do a rare thing for me and praise a Tory: I thought Matt Hancock was much clearer in his messages and answers on Marr & had eliminated the bullshit PR and dishonest manipulation of figures that he'd deployed a week or two ago. Much more the straight-speaking tone & clarity that's needed from the Govt - I hope Boris learns from that when he returns. Decent, too, from Starmer and Lineker.

California introduced social distancing measures very early I believe, they've really 'suppressed' their curve, although their testing has been weak.

1 minute ago, Kopfkino said:

Do you know what is ****ing me off, the people that have only just discovered the benefit of using the power in their legs to do things* taking the opportunity to stop and have a natter in the streets, standing 2m apart on the pavement to the detriment of everybody else that has to swerve their inconsiderate arses. Today, I've seen a two become a three for a natter, so one stood in the road to keep the 2m distance, creating an even bigger inconvenience for the rest of us all having to cross to the other side of the road to avoid them, meaning there's no 2m separation between people going in opposite directions. All so three people could talk shite about the weather. If it's not important enough that you'll pick up the phone to each other at home then stop doing it in the street

*I know these are the guilty parties because theyve fished out all their gym gear from 2011 to put on to go for a walk

I had exactly this earlier, it was incredibly ignorant. I was tempted to give a piece of my mind but then I hate people that do that too. Tossers 

5 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

Do you know what is ****ing me off, the people that have only just discovered the benefit of using the power in their legs to do things* taking the opportunity to stop and have a natter in the streets, standing 2m apart on the pavement to the detriment of everybody else that has to swerve their inconsiderate arses. Today, I've seen a two become a three for a natter, so one stood in the road to keep the 2m distance, creating an even bigger inconvenience for the rest of us all having to cross to the other side of the road to avoid them, meaning there's no 2m separation between people going in opposite directions. All so three people could talk shite about the weather. If it's not important enough that you'll pick up the phone to each other at home then stop doing it in the street

*I know these are the guilty parties because theyve fished out all their gym gear from 2011 to put on to go for a walk

I’ve been running a fair bit (no more than once a day, I’m not N’Golo Kante) as I haven’t been able to get to the gym. It’s a nightmare. People queuing for the butchers or local sandwich shop (unnecessary I’m sure). Standing in the middle of the pavement. It’s almost as if they expect a 2m bubble but aren’t willing to use common sense to create space. 

In ASDA the other day, a woman made it really awkard to pass, almost hiding pressing against an aisle. Then went on to touch about 10 products without buying any. Clearly there are going to be instances where 2m spacing is neigh on impossible but people seem to have lost all sense and gone into panic mode.

I wonder, when all this is over, when we will get back to normal life?   When I see normal behaviour, spacing or handshakes and hugs on TV it already seems odd, like social distancing is already imprinted on me and I can't imagine a return to normality. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, murphy said:

I wonder, when all this is over, when we will get back to normal life?   When I see normal behaviour, spacing or handshakes and hugs on TV it already seems odd, like social distancing is already imprinted on me and I can't imagine a return to normality. 

I think there will be some cultural hangovers from this now to be honest with you.

One big plus is I think business travel will permanently change. I can't see as many people traveling all around the world just for a meeting now that most companies have something in place for video conferencing.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, murphy said:

Agreed mate. I’m already watching tv programs and subconsciously wondering why people aren’t 2 metres apart. 

Will take a while.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

Encountered similar on Friday!

Some guy was on a narrow pavement, looked to have been dropping something off to a friend. Stayed on the pavement (could have gone on the grass a little) to chat to that friend. As I approached where he was standing, he saw and didn't even budge lol 

Thank god the roads are empty otherwise there'd be literally nowhere else to go to pass him.

Edited by StanSP

46 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

It is annoying alright, same goes for some joggers who hog the footpath and think they have more of a right to be outside than others whilst forgetting that walking counts as exercise too. Some joggers are fine though. But yeah any one who does what you've mentioned or doesnt mutually move out of the way from one another or go in single file is an ars ehole. So basically about a third of the population are ar seholes.

22 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Encountered similar on Friday!

Some guy was on a narrow pavement, looked to have been dropping something off to a friend. Stayed on the pavement (could have gone on the grass a little) to chat to that friend. As I approached where he was standing, he saw and didn't even budge lol 

Thank god the roads are empty otherwise there'd be literally nowhere else to go to pass him.

I’ve taken to walking in the middle of the road.It’s safer

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MattP said:

Only five countries in the World have a higher death count than New York on its own. Yesterday the place had more deaths than some whole widely effected countries in Europe.

If that isn't a "disaster zone" I don't know what is to be honest.

The whole "testing, testing, testing" mantra from the WHO doesn't seem to be managing to flatten the curve even in comparison to countries that aren't doing it expensively.

That’s the nature of the virus Matt? New York is two weeks ahead of the U.K. To point fingers like that this early on in your curve is not the right thing to do mate. China is now helping the US and the US will help the U.K. eventually.

Testing is the only way to figure out where we’re at and where to fix it. Can’t believe you’re contesting that? You don’t go into a house fire and start hosing the kitchen if the bedroom upstairs is ablaze?

Edited by KFS
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Markyblue said:

This isn't a contest who's doing best but lets stick to the facts.

Really? That’s exactly what’s happening on here and in the media between the two countries?

And to your comment on expected cases. You’ve given the expected outcome, not the trend of the curve which the U.K. has in fact out trended. You’ve argued against something I’ve not said.

Edited by KFS

43 minutes ago, murphy said:

I think we’ll eventually get back to normal, yes.

We’re biologically wired to be social beings and touch is one of our primitive senses. Once we’re passed this, I can absolutely see Italians still kissing each other on each cheek and joe bloggs businessman shaking hands.

We’ll all be hugging each other again before we know it. The only thing that will significantly change from all this IMO is people’s personal hygiene will improve and they’ll put hand gel on after shaking hands.

35 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

BBC News - Coronavirus: Exercise out of the home 'could be banned' if people flout rules https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52172035

Stay the **** indoors unless you're shopping or exercising or we won't have a choice. My mate was texting me earlier, he went for a run at 7am and there was lots of cars driving around. Where are they all going at 7am on a sunday? Nice day out somewhere probably. willy pullers.

We had a family of 4 playing hockey on our street today. People need to behave like this virus is covered everywhere, on the pavements etc. I wonder if the 2m distancing even works today with the wind up like it is?

There’s also a good number of people that drive to the fields near our house to walk their dogs. Pretty sure that shouldn’t be allowed.

52 minutes ago, murphy said:

43 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Agreed mate. I’m already watching tv programs and subconsciously wondering why people aren’t 2 metres apart. 

Will take a while.

I'm so glad it's not just me! 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, deejdeej said:

A good thing to come from this would be the end of shaking hands.

'Oh hi nice to meet you, let's hold hands and wiggle them while making awkward eye contact.'

You can tell a lot about someone from a handshake.I would miss it tbh

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kopfkino said:

Aha, I've become irrationally angry at folk walking two abreast when I go out for a walk.

Yesterday in Nottingham there were two lads in the full clobber, masks and goggles - stood looking at Google maps slap bang in the middle of an already narrow enough pavement near the ice arena - didn't understand how they could be *that* arsed to go out looking like they were in GCSE chemistry but not have any consideration for measures in place.

The power struggle over how Premier League footballers can financially assist in the fight against coronavirus is "a disgrace" and has players in a "no-win situation", says Wayne Rooney.

Players have been urged to do more by health secretary Matt Hancock and the Premier League proposed a 30% pay cut.

The Professional Footballers' Association says that may harm the NHS.

Derby striker Rooney says he is happy to offer support but asked: "Why are footballers suddenly the scapegoats?"

In his Sunday Times column, the 34-year-old ex-England captain added: "For the Premier League to just announce the proposal, as it has done, increases the pressure on players and in my opinion it is now a no-win situation: if players come out and say they can't agree or are not willing to cut by 30%, even if the real reasons are that it will financially ruin some, it will be presented as 'Rich Players Refuse Pay Cut'.

"It seemed strange to me because every other decision in this process has been kept behind closed doors, but this had to be announced publicly.

"Why? It feels as if it's to shame the players - to force them into a corner where they have to pick up the bill for lost revenue."

England manager Gareth Southgate has reportedly taken a 30% pay cut, though the Football Association is yet to confirm the move.

The Premier League says it wants a 30% cut in players' wages in order to "protect employment throughout the professional game".

The PFA says the proposal would be "detrimental to our NHS" as it would equate to more than £500m in wage reductions over 12 months, and a loss in tax contributions of more than £200m to the UK government.

Derby player-coach Rooney questioned the timing of the Premier League's proposed wage cuts when top-flight captains were already in discussions as to how they could set up a fund that would go to a charitable cause, most likely the NHS.

Rooney also said the Premier League's own contribution of £20m to the NHS was "a drop in the ocean" compared to what players are being asked to give up.

"How the past few days have played out is a disgrace," added England's all-time leading goalscorer.

"I get that players are well paid and could give up money. But this should be getting done on a case-by-case basis.

"Clubs should be sitting down with each player and explaining what savings it needs to survive. Players would accept that.

"One player might say, 'I can afford a 30%'; another might say, 'I can only afford 5%'.

"Personally, I'd have no problem with some of us paying more. I don't think that would cause any dressing room problems.

"Whatever way you look at it, we're easy targets. What gets lost is that half our wages get taken by the taxman. Money that goes to the government, money that is helping the NHS."

Rooney questioned why "big stars from other sports, who are able to avoid tax by living in places like Monaco" are not being scrutinised over the financial support they are offering in the fight against the coronavirus pandemic.

He also criticised health secretary Hancock focusing on footballers and believes big clubs do not need players to take cuts in order to survive, adding if they did then "football is in a far worse position than any of us imagined".

Premier League leaders Liverpool are facing criticism from former players and fans for joining Newcastle, Tottenham, Bournemouth and Norwich in furloughing non-playing staff.

Rooney said he expects people to "point the finger" at him for airing his views on the pay-cut issue but wanted to "speak up" for players.

"At the moment it's almost a free-for-all: it's like the government, Premier League and sections of the media have set the players up to fall," he added.

Fellow ex-England captain Gary Lineker told BBC One's The Andrew Marr Show that footballers he had spoken to were "desperately keen" to offer help but were an "easy" target for criticism.

"Why not call on all the wealthy to try and help if they possibly can rather than just pick on footballers?" the Match of the Day presenter said.

"Nobody seems to talk about the bankers, the CEOs, huge millionaires. Are they standing up? Are they being asked to stand up? We don't know.

"The problem is how you do it. It's obviously complicated and it takes time. People are always quick to jump on the judgemental high horse, certainly when it comes to footballers but lots of them do lots of really good things and I'm sure they'll continue to do so.

"Footballers do an extraordinary amount of good in the community, lots of them will already be giving in their own silent ways and I know that plans are afoot to make their contributions to society.

"I expect an announcement to come in the next few days, the next week or so."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52172196