Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

This Is Not The End Of Our Season...

24 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

Fair but we've been pretty since late december and the signs are quite worrying now. One decent performance in about the last 10 now.

The last 10 include 4-1 W vs West Ham, 2-1 W vs West Ham, 3-0 W vs Newcastle, 4-1 W vs Aston Villa and 2-0 W vs Watford.

Our last 10 is 5 wins, 4 losses and 1 draw. A 50% win rate is still good, and we were unlucky to lose vs Burnley.

Edited by Beechey
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Blue-fox said:

When I’m old and look back I’ll remember the games where we win the cups or lose in the finals better than beating West Ham and Everton and finishing 3rd. Just my personal opinion. 

When I'm old I won't remember the League cup wins. I'm 53 and can barely remember beating Tranmere. I'd remember an FA cup win though. Or a win against Barcelona,

I can vividly remember Parker being sent off against At. Mad. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Blue-fox said:

When I’m old and look back I’ll remember the games where we win the cups or lose in the finals better than beating West Ham and Everton and finishing 3rd. Just my personal opinion. 

What about when we beat Barcelona in Champions League final next year tho

4 minutes ago, rachhere said:

I think people need to look back at their aspirations at the start of the season, which was discussed at great length. They were largely a good cup run and qualifying for Europe. And when people spoke of Europe primarily they meant Europa league. We are exceeding where anyone thought we would be, and Brendan has only been here a year. It took Klopp and Pep time to build their teams, despite the huge investment and underlying experience. It’s disappointing today, but in the grand scheme of things we are still ahead of target.

This is foxesforum....how very dare you.....chirp up,and Chip in with such a positive perspective & such Common sense...!!!!

Off to Bentleysroof,and bunji Jump onto the old site of Filbert street....

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Stuntman_Mike said:

This really could see us implode tbf. 

Mentally we seem very weak. 

Hope I'm wrong. 

Honestly think us fans have a big part to play to help this not happen, although it may sound a little cliche. 

When the fans are nervy, the players are too.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Lesta2014 said:

We are going to do neither though? 

That's the spirit! No reason we shouldn't aim for second. 

Being serious though, this is probably Brendan and Co's first test psychologically with this sqaud. In the title winning season, we lost to arsenal and off the back of that went on a great run. Like @rachhere just said, everything has been largely better than expected since this management team came in. We're now going to see how they and the players react to real disappointment. 

In the scheme of things, finishing top 4 seems more important than a cup final. So hopefully we don't implode. It feels like a second chance at making the signings you can only attract having qualified for the champs league, which we screwed up last time. 

I know the old saying was foxes never quit, but I grew up around the Micky Adams era. Fktf: Foxes Keep The Faith. Either way, I hope these sentiments are true of our current squad. 

no idea where to put this for best relevance but fans need to decide what they want

do they want us to set up more solid with two holding midfielders so that the full backs can get forward with security

or do they want the usual formations with wilf hiding which means we are very attack minded and leave lots of space behind full backs, especially Ricky 

if it’s the latter then they need to accept that some games, we won’t score enough of our chances (last night and Burnley) and if the opposition does, we may lose.  Earlier in the campaign, we were out scoring and the opposition were under scoring re chances created in games ..... now it’s swung back rather more and a lower win percentage is the outcome. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Desabafar said:

our fans are something else, either 0 or 100 and no middle ground,lack of level headedness. 

All life is here and amongst that life are people at the extremes - super postive and super negative. Anybody who's been here a while knows who the super negatives are and anybody with life experience can recognise them a mile away. Like most I tend to 'filter out' the super negs. 

In the middle ground are a lot of people who are simply venting on their own emotional roller coster - isnt that what football is meant to be all about? VAR is doing its best to supress it but crikey the passion and emotional roller coster is why we all love this!

Of course emotion and rational thought dont always go hand in hand.......... :-) 

We are having a great season - the players have perhaps punched above their weight in the first half, but we can all recognise that bringing in quality new players in is hard for mutiple reasons.  Still all to play for and much to celebrate at this club despite this loss. Onwards and upwards!!

9 hours ago, Blue-fox said:

I don't think anybody wants to finish 3rd because they'll be able to celebrate exactly that... Its that it gives you champions league qualification. Think we have a few memories of the last time we qualified for that right!?

• Like 2

Still pretty disappointed about last night, but I'll get over it. Trying to focus on the positives:

- It's the least important competition

- We'd almost certainly lose to Man City in the final, anyway

- It might teach our younger players a valuable lesson/toughen them up.

- Get to watch Villa get ruined at Wembley

Finishing top 4 is the main objective. Anything else is a bonus, and we're going well in the FA Cup.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, trabuch said:

When I'm old I won't remember the League cup wins. I'm 53 and can barely remember beating Tranmere. I'd remember an FA cup win though. Or a win against Barcelona,

I can vividly remember Parker being sent off against At. Mad. 

That red card still makes me angry.

you are right, although the game against Swindon was a travesty of injustice i don't care about it now.

I would care about beating Barca or Real Madrid fro the rest of my life though.

Brendan needs to keep the players motivated and manage the disappointment, we've still got the top four to get and must remain focused. get through the next round of the F.A cup and who knows! one blip on the road to what could still be a great season.

Assuming we get past Cov/Brum in the FA Cup 5th round (and that should be a given), we are back to being only one game away from a visit to Wembley for the FA Semi FInal. :D

I'm just trying to soften yesterdays car crash! :unsure:

Edited by ultrafox

Agree my man. Last night was ****ing stomach turning. When the draw was made and we got Villa I was elated. Still cant believe we threw this away but you are right, we have so much to look foward to. FA Cup, almost certainly finish top 4. 

My only worry is we have completely crumbled on every big occasion so far this season. We are flat track bullies which is fine. I enjoy hammering the lesser tesms. I just wish we would turn up in big games. 

We should get behind the boys. They are young and inexperienced. If Cardiff 2010 and Watford 2013 taught us anything its that we will bounce back from disappointment.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, ultrafox said:

Assuming we get past Cov/Brum in the FA Cup 5th round (and that should be a given), we are back to being only one game away from a visit to Wembley for the FA Semi FInal. :D

I'm just trying to soften yesterdays car crash! :unsure:

Just like we should have got past Villa over two legs.

I am away on the weekend of the FA Cup semi final, so we'll probably get there. It's OK though, I prefer to go to the final anyway...

1 hour ago, Koke said:

Agree my man. Last night was ****ing stomach turning. When the draw was made and we got Villa I was elated. Still cant believe we threw this away but you are right, we have so much to look foward to. FA Cup, almost certainly finish top 4. 

My only worry is we have completely crumbled on every big occasion so far this season. We are flat track bullies which is fine. I enjoy hammering the lesser tesms. I just wish we would turn up in big games. 

We should get behind the boys. They are young and inexperienced. If Cardiff 2010 and Watford 2013 taught us anything its that we will bounce back from disappointment.

These were my thoughts too. In the context of it all those were more heartbreaking than last night. We recovered from that at the time especially after Watford after how that panned out and we will recover again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Koke said:

That's my concern too. As @Koke said, we are excellent at putting less talented teams away, which is the reason why we are in the Top Four. Being ruthless consistently is an underrated skill. But it's telling our boys have a poor run against so-call "Big Opposition". Big game nights we either  havent turned up at all or didn't take our chances.

Our next three Prem games are Chelsea/Wolves/Oil City so that's a really difficult run. We have the capability of picking up at least 6 points - but equally of coming away with nothing. 

Madders talked about how Leicester are now a "Big team" and that's great but right now we are not ruthless enough against other elite teams. I hope the lads learn and become even hungrier to succeed. Right now, unlike our title winners, this team is fragile mentally. But they are young and perhaps some bitter humble pie will help steel their resolve.  If Brendan manages that, then yesterday's gutting defeat will at least mean something constructive came from the game. 

Edited by Tanya
  • Like 1