Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigWesMorgan

Aston Villa (H) 4-0 // Post Match Thread

1 hour ago, Deeg67 said:

<phew>

Well, it's nice to see a reaction at last now that the chasers have started to push us into a corner.  I was very worried by how wasteful we were - so many good chances gone amiss - but the pen pretty much pushed Villa into full capitulation mode.  Absolutely had to have three points from this one.  Now we need to take three from Watford and we can start breathing a little.

Barnes was the MOTM for sure, but I hope we can dismiss all talk about Praet not starting now.  He's so effective in the middle of the pitch, both starting attacks and breaking up enemy forays.  And while I'm as surprised as anyone tp be saying so, his doppelgänger Albrighton was very solid.  It didn't hurt that Villa is a shambles in their own end (especially the way Reina played) but he was a consistent positive contributor. 

To be honest, I'd rather won 4-0 with the potential to have won 7-0 then have finished all our chances. Makes it more likely that our threat is sustainable.

It felt like as if we'd edited out most of what happened between the last Villa game and this Villa game.

Norwich, Liverpool, Man City, Southampton, Burnley had been cut and we could now be just left with a nice and tidy piece. 

Standout players have been covered already in earlier posts and we looked so good.

So I'll focus on Rodgers, for me MOTM. 

I never thought he'd go down the Justin at LB route, I just thought it would cause too much hassle regarding Chilwell's future and development.

Sadly, I still think there's a board room level business aspect that will be relevant and how would we protect Chilwell's equity when he's not in the squad? That's not a defence of Chilwell, because on last nights performance by Justin and for actual football reasons, It would be strange to not have Justin start against Watford.

Rodgers looked delighted when he spoke with him on the pitch after the game and this was great to see. 

It was an inspired decision.

Keeping Vardy on the bench really worked as well, he came on fresh, hungry and simply scared Aston Villa. 

Praet over Tielemans was the right decision too, and again, motivated by football rather than invested interests, the right way to go.

Remaining with Albrighton was excellent, I thought he was great, keep up those performances and he'll be in the starting 11 more often. 

It felt like the team changes we'd all been asking for.

My only gripe is that, could these decisions been made earlier and been rotating more freely throughout this season? If's and and's and pots and pans, maybe? maybe not? I know Injuries and suspensions have dictated a lot of BR's choices, but it's a thought.

That said, he got last night spot on and I didn't notice too many notes being taken in his book, which must be a good sign. 

Edited by Danny Clender
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, gurru991 said:

What are the bed wetters going to find to bitch about all week?

Let’s not get too carried away just yet. We’ve just beaten the the team with the second worst defensive record in the PL who look nailed on to be relegated. 
That said, we didn’t miss Chilwell’s blind alley runs or backwards passing. 
He certainly won’t be missed if someone wants to have him away in the summer. 
The second half was a good spectacle, the team will enjoy watching that back. 

Guest bennytwohats

People being a bit quick to wish to see the back of Chilwell. Justin was great last night and deserves to keep his place, but it’s just one game, and Chilwell has hit those heights for us before not too long ago too. I’m hoping a little break and some competition for his place will do Chilwell the world of good and he’ll be back with a bang soon.

4 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

It was possibly but more than likely was directed at Brian Little who is still involved at Villa in some capacity and I’m assuming was at the game

Brian Little? Not that we hold pathetic grudges or anything then...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, bennytwohats said:

People being a bit quick to wish to see the back of Chilwell. Justin was great last night and deserves to keep his place, but it’s just one game, and Chilwell has hit those heights for us before not too long ago too. I’m hoping a little break and some competition for his place will do Chilwell the world of good and he’ll be back with a bang soon.

Agreed, especially as we'll need a squad with 2 capable players for every position next season. And, as you say, real competition for places helps to improve the standard within the squad.

15 minutes ago, bennytwohats said:

I’m not sure I really want to see him gone but if he does, then great, we’ll  move on. 
My gripe with him is that when he does decide to attempt to take a man on, he telegraphs what he is going to to and is rumbled virtually every time. 
I’m not convinced that can be trained out of him because it’s not his natural skill and quickness of brain, it’s almost like it’s bolted on to what he his good at, running 40 yards with the ball. 

Edited by Ceirboy

8 hours ago, Matt said:

Better.

Started slow, lets of sideways passing and looking clueless pissing about at the back for possessions sake but got better as the first half went on.

2nd half was much better and very enjoyable.

Build on this!

I think some of the playing it around the back stuff was more to do with villa sitting further back than birmingham did. Was quite suprised how camped in they were. I thought they'd fancy it abit. 

3 hours ago, South Shire Fox said:

Guessing the ‘Judas, whats the score’ was directed at Drinkwater? 😂 Brutal!

35 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

It was possibly but more than likely was directed at Brian Little who is still involved at Villa in some capacity and I’m assuming was at the game

I was hearing 'Grealish, what's the score?' lol

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Tom12345 said:

But Chilly will be back if he is fit. Not based on merit but favourtism. Same as Maddison - love to see him get dropped and regroup too; too many misplaced passes though he will come good.

If he does bring back the ‘injured’ Chilwell it will be back to the performances of the last three months.

I’ll say it again, we can’t progress playing out of form or shit players. Losing Chilwell and Perez from the starting 11, as I have been saying ad nausea, is like actually having 10 outfield players on the pitch rather than effectively 8 for the last 12 weeks.

It’s a massive difference that has been handicapping us for months.

Edited by NotTheMarketLeader
  • Thanks 1

So we thrashed them 4-0 and were denied the most blatant of penalties for a push on Maddison at 2-0, yet Villa still manage to sound hard done by. It's clear on the replay that it hits his upper arm, not his shoulder.

I can't actually believe the cheek of these people, pundits as well. The referee and VAR not giving the 2nd penalty to us is nothing short of corrupt - the only reason they didn't give it is because we had already been given one and were comfortable in the match. The pundits have a lot to answer for in that regard; the only pressure the football authorities feel is from the media, and had that been 0-0 that push would have been a massive talking point. But because it was already 2-0, they ignored it. It's a disgrace.

If anything, Villa were lucky it wasn't double figures and I don't even think we played that well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1