Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigWesMorgan

Aston Villa (H) 4-0 // Post Match Thread

1 hour ago, brucey said:

Thanks Villa for the 6 points and the +7 GD. Hope you enjoyed your day out at Wembley.

Also thank you Dean Smith for playing your shit keeper. :)

Rodgers couldn't get rid of him fast enough during his first season at Liverpool. Lost to Man C chaseing  Sergio on a ball 15 yds. from goal that got dinked over his head in the final minute. Rodgers was livid. Wonder if Rodgers clued our attackers in :D

Better.

Started slow, lets of sideways passing and looking clueless pissing about at the back for possessions sake but got better as the first half went on.

2nd half was much better and very enjoyable.

Build on this!

Shades of Southampton 9 nil tonight. We were strong and positive all over the pitch tonight.

Evans and Soyoncu were rock solid in defense.

James Justin, it was so refreshing to see him take on players in the first half and also excellent in defense.

Praet and NDiddi played like I thought they would together with one covering the others mistakes. We looked so much better in midfield with the two in there.

Harvey was so fresh and alive to everything around him tonight. Made a mug of Reina and took his 2 Goals with great skill and pace.

Albrighton's experience shone true also with his passing and work rate.

Cannot say anything against Nacho tonight, He tried hard but nothing worked for him.

Then along comes Vardy to finish the Job with a great comeback. Though the penalty was poor. Thankfully Reina dived left.

On to Watford, Lets hope Nigel and Deeney goes easy on us. We need another win and performance to re install the confidence in the Team.

15 minutes ago, Shamomoa said:

Agree on justin getting a run in the team. But I thought albrighton was quite predictable tbh. Dnt get me wrong he played well but so many times he could have turned the opposition player but decided to try his usual hit it into the box routine. I was shouting at the tv for him to turn the player before crossing. Great player for us but just too predictable. Not sure he's due a run in the team but that just depends on who we are playing.

I agree that he's pretty limited. We've had 3 transfer windows where we should have brought in a winger and we didn't bother.

At least he was involved though- Perez has been utterly anonymous for months.

• Like 1

Thank god for that.

Thought 4-0 was a little flattering really given the first two goals were gifts. We deserved to be ahead by that point anyway I think but I was starting to feel like they were going to just soak up the pressure and frustrate us until that went in. We had 3 good chances from set pieces, Nacho's being the best, but I don't think you can take for granted that we would've scored given our recent run.

Villa offered literally nothing though, never really looked in doubt and after the second we just got better and better.

Stand outs for me were Barnes and Praet, with notable performances from Justin, Evans, Wilf, Albrighton. 

I really hope that we keep the same team and more importantly, can build on this and stick a few past Nige and the gang to get ourselves going again. One good game in every 3/4 is not enough.

I'm not gonna over react in a good way in a similar way to those that over reacted when we lost a few and had a bit of a blip. We were good tonight without doubt but they were terrible. Quite honestly I thought we were as good tonight as we were in the cup games against them but the main difference was we were much more clinical tonight. 

That felt good.

League double over Villa, after two forgettable League Cup matches against the same opposition.

Although up to us taking the lead, it felt as if it was history repeating again and a continuation of the poor form in the league as of late.

Thanks to Pepe Reina, Albrighton and Barnes for actually holding out just to squeeze the ball into the net, past the defenders.

Happy for Vardy to have found his scoring boots again. More of this in the weeks to come, please. 100 goals club is awaiting you, Jamie.

Can't think of any player having a particularly bad game tonight, maybe Maddison or most of our central midfield went a bit stale in the first half, hardly found a way past the Villa players. Slightly improved in the second half.

Don't write off Albrighton, he's going to be valuable in the European competition (be it Europa or Champions League).

Back on track for third in the Premier League? I do hope so (and let's annoy Manchester City a little bit, while we still can).

Edited by MC Prussian

I've slated Marc affer the brum game as much as anyone although it was tempered by the fact we don't have a 6 ft striker for him to cross to. 

But grealish barely got a kick tonight. And albrighton definitely played a part in that. Both him and Brendan can take some credit for that.

Tonight's game shows what actually going 1 up can do.

• Like 4

Excellent all round performance underpinned by four key factors:

- the return of a fully fit Wilf

- Jamie finally ending his goal drought

- the dynamic Justin/Barnes combo on the left (proof if ever it was needed of just how much Chilwell has held us back on that flank)

- Villa are garbage

Well that was delightful wasn't it?! 

About time we turned in a dominating performance like that! Barnes electric, Praet perfect, vintage Vardy back to his best! Refreshing seeing a left back with confidence too. Justin deserves his start on Saturday if so. 

First half was a bit of a grind but we never looked like conceding. The Barnes goal was perfect timing. 

Second half was amazing, especially the 4th goal. Quick passing and what a finish by Barnes. Beating Reina to round off a wonderful move when he's pretty much standing at that post too was excellent. 

Vardy as well what a difference he makes. Predatory with his 2nd goal. 

Ndidi back to form and fitness really helps us out defensively. He was all over the field dominating and stopping them. 

You could tell every single player on the pitch wanted to enact some revenge on them for the league Cup games and we properly put them to the sword today with a collectively confident performance. Hopefully that shuts a lot of the doubters up and gives them a bit of confidence to have faith in Rodgers and the manager.

More of the same on Saturday please although that's bound to be a more difficult game! 

Edited by StanSP
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, OntarioFox said:

Crisis? What crisis?
Image result for michael fish

Excellent performance and, as predicted, we absolutely destroyed them the moment they were forced to attack after the second goal.

Massive performances from Albrighton, Soyuncu and of course Barnes. And Vardy getting two is excellent news, as we all know well that his goals tend to come in hot streaks.

Set ourselves up nicely for the final stretch of the season.

NOW CHILL THE CHRISTIAN FUCHS OUT AND ENJOY THE RUN-IN, ALRIGHT FOXESTALK? :scarf:

I'm raising a glass of tepid, Canadian p*sswater beer to our win tonight. Which is only the second in the league since I arrived in the Big Maple two months ago (my first having been that bleedin' Southampton loss on my first morning here). You can blame me leaving for the dip in form lads. :ph34r:

Sorry but fcuk off back to England! Dont make me drive up north  (wherever you are) and force you to drink some Laker beer! Again apologies for the potty mouth. Sorry.

• Thanks 1

James Justin :appl:

That was a pleasure after the past couple of months. We wanted a response from the Norwich game in the league and we certainly got it. Helped that Villa were diabolical (where was that two months ago!). Some fantastic finishing, Harvey’s goals were sublime and Vardy’s finish for his second excellent. Maddison was about 30yards further up the pitch tonight - Wilf makes such a difference to that midfield. Confidence flooded back tonight, we must take it on now 🦊💙

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Bayfox said:

I've slated Marc affer the brum game as much as anyone although it was tempered by the fact we don't have a 6 ft striker for him to cross to. 

But grealish barely got a kick tonight. And albrighton definitely played a part in that. Both him and Brendan can take some credit for that.

Tonight's game shows what actually going 1 up can do.

Somebody understands the game. City clearly decided to take Grealish out of the equation and succeeded exceptionally well. Without him, Villa are totally clueless, they were lucky to escape a much bigger drubbing. Three free headers, Nacho’s miss and albrighton at the end - could have been double the score. Leicester totally dominated and Villa looked doomed now, with the next four matches for them looking very challenging. 

I just hope our supporters put all their energies into the next nine games, rather than harping on about previous performances over the last two months. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

<phew>

Well, it's nice to see a reaction at last now that the chasers have started to push us into a corner.  I was very worried by how wasteful we were - so many good chances gone amiss - but the pen pretty much pushed Villa into full capitulation mode.  Absolutely had to have three points from this one.  Now we need to take three from Watford and we can start breathing a little.

Barnes was the MOTM for sure, but I hope we can dismiss all talk about Praet not starting now.  He's so effective in the middle of the pitch, both starting attacks and breaking up enemy forays.  And while I'm as surprised as anyone tp be saying so, his doppelgänger Albrighton was very solid.  It didn't hurt that Villa is a shambles in their own end (especially the way Reina played) but he was a consistent positive contributor.