Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigWesMorgan

Aston Villa (H) 4-0 // Post Match Thread

Slow start but once we got up to steam we looked like the team of October and November. 

I was a little concerned when I saw the team but with no reason. Kelechi should have got at least one but it was hard to pick out anyone for having a bad game. 

Guest An Sionnach
32 minutes ago, Ceirboy said:

He's clearly been using Kasper's tape measure then if he's 6ft 1" !

He is definitely 8 inches taller than Rodgers so that makes him -----

Back to something like our swashbuckling best towards the end there. Excellent to see Ndidi really grow in to the game; he looked very good. Vardy is irrepressible.

Exciting to think that we also have Tielemans and Perez to add in to this attacking mix; both of whom have something to offer.

Praet and Justin also deserve a mention as truly excellent throughout.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The People's Hero said:

Back to something like our swashbuckling best towards the end there. Excellent to see Ndidi really grow in to the game; he looked very good. Vardy is irrepressible.

Exciting to think that we also have Tielemans and Perez to add in to this attacking mix; both of whom have something to offer.

Everytime the ball came into the middle Ndidi was there winning it back and starting another attack, it is amazing how good he is at breaking up play and keeping the pressure on the opposition. 

Edited by foxes_rule1978

1 minute ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

Everytime the ball came into the middle Ndidi was there winning it back and starting another attack, it is amazing how good he is at breaking up play and keeping the pressure on the opposition. 

Agreed. His anticipation is superb and he must have effortlessly robbed the ball countless times from Villa players; who always looked rushed/surprised by it. He nullified their attacking efforts before they even really got going, and crucially, enabled us to immediately launch a counter attack.

He just gets better and better. I pray his injury issue is behind him and he can drive us on to a strong finish.

2 minutes ago, Livid said:

it was hard to pick out anyone for having a bad game. 

To me Nacho had a bad game. We looked ten times better as soon as Vardy was on the pitch. Nacho is too slow to play on the shoulder, touch is pretty shit and he slows the attack down so often that we hardly get any fast counter attacks on the break. I know hes produced some goals for us but I don't think he's at a level appropriate for teams fighting for European Football. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Christoph said:

To me Nacho had a bad game. We looked ten times better as soon as Vardy was on the pitch. Nacho is too slow to play on the shoulder, touch is pretty shit and he slows the attack down so often that we hardly get any fast counter attacks on the break. I know hes produced some goals for us but I don't think he's at a level appropriate for teams fighting for European Football. 

Nacho did get in behind a couple of times and he contributed to our play more generally quite well I thought. He worked so hard. I would agree that he's no Vardy; but I'm not sure how we will ever replace Vardy.

• Like 1

Guest An Sionnach
12 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

Nacho did get in behind a couple of times and he contributed to our play more generally quite well I thought. He worked so hard. I would agree that he's no Vardy; but I'm not sure how we will ever replace Vardy.

Barnes can be the new Vardy , he has the pace and control , a little more composure could take him to 20  season. Nacho is better in a crowded box , more old school really.

20 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Barnes can be the new Vardy , he has the pace and control , a little more composure could take him to 20  season. Nacho is better in a crowded box , more old school really.

Yes, and I also think gray could be the next Pele

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

We have had 2 months where many of the players were playing poorly at the same time.  Yesterday was many of the players playing well at the same time (Autumn revisited).  I was at Norwich, this was very different!!

That 11 has to start again on Saturday as a reward for an all round great performance and no visible weaknesses in yesterdays game.

Justin has to keep his place (tough on Ben, but hey ho), an end product going forward, calm measured defending, pace, calmness on the ball, great partnership with Harvey which brought out more in him.

Dennis was brilliant!!  That pinged crossfield ball superb, puts lot of foots in, hardly loses the ball, think Wilf being there freed him up to be more offensive.

Wilf - a monster, his passing is on a different planet to 12-18 months ago which adds an extra dimension to his game, and wins everything in the middle, also gives Kasper an extra option when playing out as he comes deep for the ball

Riccy & Jonny - Just Riccy and Jonny and that's enough

Harvey - back yourself son, have a go at them and it'll come off like last night, improve your finishing consistently and you'll be an England player

They all played better than Maddison and he had a decent game, that's how good we were.

Sames again please at Vicarage Road.

Blag 3pts Saturday, and the pressure will be back on Chelsea and United and beating Brighton & Palace might be enough

Last night was more like it, cold and wet but boy did I enjoy it. Got the formation and players spot on for this game.

i don’t think that one player had a bad game, Kasper had a sound game in goal as did Evans and Soyuncu, Ndidi back to his best, but the outstanding moments of this game was the overlapping of Pereira and Albrighton on the right and Justin and Barnes on the left, for me this is what has been lacking recently.

l could go on and praise every player and perhaps I should, but overall a really top class performance from everyone, now let’s carry it forward until the end of the season.

• Like 1

Some saying Ricardo had a quiet game, but with Albrighton in front of him there was less need for him to be in the more advanced positions which also helped to shore up the back line when needed. There were some great interchanges between the two of them though taking it in turns to do the overlap. Grealish was anonymous, mainly because Ricky P and Marc had the right hand side sewn up between them. It was noticeable, that after Wilf leaving one on him, both Ricky and Marc did the same and he just didnt fancy it. It was noticeable that he was dropping deeper an deeper as the game went on. Personally I would like to see the same team out next time round, but i think this one was picked with a specific job in mind (contain Grealish) and we will see Perez back on Saturday. Probably a it harsh on Sharkey but, like Fuchs i think he accepts that that is his role now as a backup, or when we need to inject a bit of steel and experience into the proceedings. Those that say his time is done here should be eating their words after three assists in two games. He will be invaluable next season when we have europe to contend with.

Very impressed with JJ. Real competition now in the FB positions as he can play both sides. Would still keep Fuchs if he is willing to stay on as with Albrighton that experience will be invaluable next term.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Christoph said:

Think that's super harsh. He should have scored at least one goal, and could have easily had three: a header wide, his one on one, and his poor first touch after being through by Maddison. But the rest of his game was good, he was hustling and pressing their back 4, making a mockery of Mings on more than one occasion and he dropped back to get the ball and link play. But when Vardy came on, JV showed the difference a clinical striker makes when you need a goal. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Trent Steel said:

what was Vards beef with Reina after the penalty ?

Looks like he was giving some right verb after!

In the post-match Vardy said that Reina said to him "I know you're going down the middle" or words to that effect and Vardy was giving it large after calling his bluff.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Think that's super harsh. He should have scored at least one goal, and could have easily had three: a header wide, his one on one, and his poor first touch after being through by Maddison. But the rest of his game was good, he was hustling and pressing their back 4, making a mockery of Mings on more than one occasion and he dropped back to get the ball and link play. But when Vardy came on, JV showed the difference a clinical striker makes when you need a goal. 

Not to mention that it was Kelechi’s interception that led to the first goal.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, lee7 said:

Fair play to Albrighton barely gets any game time for months but then puts in a performance like that. I think he was the hardest worker on the pitch.

Hats off to Brendan, there weren’t many happy with his inclusion pre-game but it was actually the perfect game for him. 

I think we did did our homework and targeted the fact that villa have struggled to deal with crosses all season. We were knocking loads more balls into to the box than we usually do and that is exactly where Marc excels. 

He’s one of those players that is never afraid to try something. Always attempts a long ball or even taking on his man (without much success 😂

That pass for Barnes was something we’ve seen many times before. In this moment, we needed someone to try to get something going in the final 3rd and he was excellent at that today.