Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

League Suspended.

2 hours ago, st albans fox said:

How can you have five teams in the CL ?  That can only happen if a non qualified team win the CL or EL. Spain, Italy and Germany etc can then demand five CL places .... there isn’t room for that eventuality 

you can see us getting screwed over and that will show our best players even more than ever that staying here isn’t such a great idea !  It would be a disgrace but the vast majority won’t care and we’ll have to take our medicine as our contribution to the ‘greater good’.

Where would we find support?  None of the big six would support our position - all those clubs who feel they are competing with us (actually no one) will not want us to be getting a £40m windfall via CL qualification and the three clubs at the bottom won’t want this seasons current positions to count for anything. 

so that means we will be isolated with perhaps only sheff Utd in our corner.  I made a post last night about how they league could complete the season if they so wished via isolation of squads etc.  But thinking about this - where is the motivation if the alternative is last years finishing positions ?  

now I’m depressed about football as well as everything else - agnelli wins ........

Would man utd be happy being in Europa again? I doubt it, so they will argue against last seasons positions, 5 places works if u rearrange the format a little, the owners are Billionaires they will have good lawyers, if any attempts to screw us are made. 

We are going to get screwed!!!

I can see a ridiculous situation where the league is declared null and void but Liverpool are still declared champions.

All the murmurs are of the majority of clubs voting for this.

Anyone in the relegation zone or close to it will of course want the season cancelled and the likes of Man U, Arsenal, Spurs and maybe even Man City and Chelsea would likely vote for it too. Chelsea because they may get back into the Champions League due to a re-run and City because they can't catch Liverpool and are banned from Champions League. 

I can see a situation where only ourselves, Sheffield United and maybe Wolves kick up a fuss and that won't hold much weight with the Premier League.

The issue is what they do with the Champions League next season and how they award prize money this season for league positions or if everything reverts to last season! 

Our only potential saviour in terms of Champions League - Is Man City's ban. If they can't compete in an essential re-run due to the ban, will we be considered to fill their place due to us finishing 3rd this season OR will it go back to last season's table and awarded to 5th place bloody Arsenal.

Finishing the season may be our only hope but when you have potentially 75/80% of the other teams voting against/refusing to play, not sure how that will happen!

Hopefully the league takes a strong stance and says we finish the season as it is now OR we play the remaining 9 games behind closed doors in May/June.  

If a vote is taken though (likely IMO). We will get screwed.

On a side (and more important) note -  Keep well everyone! 

55 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

If this were the case, I don’t think anyone would argue if we took Man City’s spot as they are banned.

Meaning 

Liverpool

Chelsea

Spurs 

Leicester 

Would get Champions League

Man Utd couldn’t complain too much as they haven’t been in the top 4 all season and wouldn’t make it anyway.

United, Arsenal and Wolves in the Europa League.

If Arsenal were to win the Fa Cup, only Spurs win in this scenario and no one really loses.

Im really not understanding why spurs warrant a space??? Can someone please explain in an easier way, to someone like my self (THICK)😂

1 minute ago, lestajigs said:

Im really not understanding why spurs warrant a space??? Can someone please explain in an easier way, to someone like my self (THICK)😂

Don’t worry, you’re certainly not think and they certainly don’t warrant a space, however, if as some are suggesting the season is made null and void and the same teams qualify for Europe again, they would get in.

On the bright side we could watch them embarrass themselves again.

• Like 1

Ffs this should be so easy either the season is void, meaning liverpool do not win the league we do not qualify for champions league teams don’t go up or down, or it finishes on what it is now, or it gets delayed till june

Edited by lestajigs

2 minutes ago, lestajigs said:

Ffs this should be so easy either the season is void, meaning liverpool do not win the league we do not qualify for champions league teams don’t go up or down, or it finishes on what it is now, or it gets delayed till june

What's easy about any of those options? Granted they are the only genuine options but all 3 have massive implications.

3 hours ago, st albans fox said:

How can you have five teams in the CL ?  That can only happen if a non qualified team win the CL or EL. Spain, Italy and Germany etc can then demand five CL places .... there isn’t room for that eventuality 

you can see us getting screwed over and that will show our best players even more than ever that staying here isn’t such a great idea !  It would be a disgrace but the vast majority won’t care and we’ll have to take our medicine as our contribution to the ‘greater good’.

Where would we find support?  None of the big six would support our position - all those clubs who feel they are competing with us (actually no one) will not want us to be getting a £40m windfall via CL qualification and the three clubs at the bottom won’t want this seasons current positions to count for anything. 

so that means we will be isolated with perhaps only sheff Utd in our corner.  I made a post last night about how they league could complete the season if they so wished via isolation of squads etc.  But thinking about this - where is the motivation if the alternative is last years finishing positions ?  

now I’m depressed about football as well as everything else - agnelli wins ........

Just think about in whose most interest it was to suggest that this year's participants automatically go through to the CL, while the other clubs have to play qualifiers. Arguably it's Tottenham so I'd think this briefing has come from Levy or someone close to the club. We know Levy's reputation for ruthlessness and wanting to ensure the so-called Big Six get a higher share, as shown in this article: https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/champions-league-superclubs-liverpool-man-utd-barcelona-real-madrid-a9330431.html

They're going to try to influence things/lobby via the media. The Premier League need to be consistent in whatever they do to minimise legal opposition so if they award Liverpool the title, they'll need to award the other positions as they are. 

What they may also do is try to find some way so every team has played the same number of games (perhaps a handful of closed door games) and expand the league to 22    as the article suggests. 

Just now, lcfc_forever said:

Just think about in whose most interest it was to suggest that this year's participants automatically go through to the CL, while the other clubs have to play qualifiers. Arguably it's Tottenham so I'd think this briefing has come from Levy or someone close to the club. We know Levy's reputation for ruthlessness and wanting to ensure the so-called Big Six get a higher share, as shown in this article: https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/champions-league-superclubs-liverpool-man-utd-barcelona-real-madrid-a9330431.html

They're going to try to influence things/lobby via the media. The Premier League need to be consistent in whatever they do to minimise legal opposition so if they award Liverpool the title, they'll need to award the other positions as they are. 

What they may also do is try to find some way so every team has played the same number of games (perhaps a handful of closed door games) and expand the league to 22    as the article suggests. 

At least he’ll be going up against Manchester United who as it stands are back in the Champions League and wouldn’t settle for Levy’s argument.

1 minute ago, joachim1965 said:

You can't.  Some teams have only played 28 games, if villa won their game in hand they would be out of the bottom three.

Also If Arsenal win there’s they are possibly 6th depending on GD and if Sheff Utd win there’s they are 5th, which without Man City is a Champions League spot.

Edited by Aus Fox

11 minutes ago, lestajigs said:

What's easy about either of those?

If the season is void then the league breaches contracts with TV companies worth billions of pounds. Teams get screwed out of promotion and harshly relegated costing them hundreds of millions of pounds. 

If its pushed back..... whennis it pushed back to? It cant be rescheduled as we dont know what's going to happen with this virus. It will mean rescheduling the start of their season, it will interfere with players contracts.....

Nothing about it is simple. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

We are going to get screwed!!!

I can see a ridiculous situation where the league is declared null and void but Liverpool are still declared champions.

All the murmurs are of the majority of clubs voting for this.

Anyone in the relegation zone or close to it will of course want the season cancelled and the likes of Man U, Arsenal, Spurs and maybe even Man City and Chelsea would likely vote for it too. Chelsea because they may get back into the Champions League due to a re-run and City because they can't catch Liverpool and are banned from Champions League. 

I can see a situation where only ourselves, Sheffield United and maybe Wolves kick up a fuss and that won't hold much weight with the Premier League.

The issue is what they do with the Champions League next season and how they award prize money this season for league positions or if everything reverts to last season! 

Our only potential saviour in terms of Champions League - Is Man City's ban. If they can't compete in an essential re-run due to the ban, will we be considered to fill their place due to us finishing 3rd this season OR will it go back to last season's table and awarded to 5th place bloody Arsenal.

Finishing the season may be our only hope but when you have potentially 75/80% of the other teams voting against/refusing to play, not sure how that will happen!

Hopefully the league takes a strong stance and says we finish the season as it is now OR we play the remaining 9 games behind closed doors in May/June.  

If a vote is taken though (likely IMO). We will get screwed.

On a side (and more important) note -  Keep well everyone! 

I think you are majorly overreacting 

They will play the remaining games behind closed doors.

If all players are in isolation from a set date.

Chill winston

Another implication which could be huge is the betting market. At the start of every season I have a $10 bet on the winner of the top 5 divisions and the two cup competitions.

Thanks mainly due to Notts County, I had written that bet off a while ago. Although I have Man City for the League Cup and Leicester to win the Fa Cup.

Liverpool, WBA, Sunderland and Northampton Town. I stand to win a 5 figure sum if they all come in. I have been doing this for years and never won - but come close a few times.

Anyway, mathematically I still have a chance of winning, Will I be refunded? Even though I’ve written it off. 
Now my $10 is long gone and won’t bother anyone, but there are people out there who bet thousands and thousands, will they need refunding?

Imagine if I had Placed my bet with Liverpool, Leeds, Cov, Crewe and Barrow and they said leagues will finish as they stand? Will they pay out?

There are going to be some almighty legal arguments if the season is completely scrapped.

2 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

Another implication which could be huge is the betting market. At the start of every season I have a $10 bet on the winner of the top 5 divisions and the two cup competitions.

Thanks mainly due to Notts County, I had written that bet off a while ago. Although I have Man City for the League Cup and Leicester to win the Fa Cup.

Liverpool, WBA, Sunderland and Northampton Town. I stand to win a 5 figure sum if they all come in. I have been doing this for years and never won - but come close a few times.

Anyway, mathematically I still have a chance of winning, Will I be refunded? Even though I’ve written it off. 
Now my $10 is long gone and won’t bother anyone, but there are people out there who bet thousands and thousands, will they need refunding?

Imagine if I had Placed my bet with Liverpool, Leeds, Cov, Crewe and Barrow and they said leagues will finish as they stand? Will they pay out?

There are going to be some almighty legal arguments if the season is completely scrapped.

The bookies will win yet again. 

There are many angles and factors but one small suggestion, postpone the F.A. Cup games to late summer (last two weeks of pre season) use the quarters and semi's to replace those big friendlies / mini tournaments that clubs would play usually anyway and have the F.A.Cup final as the season curtain raiser either instead of the Community Shield or, if different clubs are involved, as a double header over the same weekend. If no Community Shield, find a way of funding the charity element from the F.A. Cup games. 

That (F.A. Cup move) frees up the calendar a little albeit for just 8 of the clubs to focus on completing nine PL games 3,5,7 or however many weeks late. The season could start 3-5 weeks late if the League Cup is dropped for a season.

The Euro's, particularly with the format of travelling all over should be put back 12 months. Whether Copa America etc will happen or will need our PL players before we're finished is another angle.

6 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

I would imagine it will be classed as void, which if I’m not mistaken you should get refunded the amount you placed. 

Edited by foxes_rule1978

1 minute ago, whoareyaaa said:

I think you are majorly overreacting 

They will play the remaining games behind closed doors.

If all players are in isolation from a set date.

Chill winston

Maybe difficult if majority of teams see this as an opportunity to avoid relegation or get into champions league by default of last season. 

You've got Karen Brady already sensing this as a a way out! https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/coronavirus-west-ham-chief-karren-21691598

Finishing the season is still the aim I am sure but with corona cases set to increase sharply and the majority of clubs pushing for a 'null and void', I think the chances we lose out get pretty high tbh. 

It hinges on the euros for me. Move that to 2021 and we could finish the domestic league and the champions league/Europa. Combined the amount of games left wouldn’t exceed the euro’s completion date, meaning next season could go ahead as normal. A lot of premier league teams have international players in them, and every two out of four years they’re active in a summer tournament anyway. It’s the most logical way to do it. 

Push the season back by 1 month. Start the new one in September and postpone any international friendlies so no breaks so we can get more fixtures in before Christmas. If we have to play the rest of this season behind closed doors then so be it I'm afraid just to get it done.