Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
weller54

Interest in Football after this crisis ends....

I'm wondering long it will take for the passion/interest in football to return if this ban goes on for months and months?

A lot of people may adapt to a new way of life and  have different priorities after going through this crisis..

Maybe sometime before the passion for the game returns.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, weller54 said:

I'm wondering long it will take for the passion/interest in football to return if this ban goes on for months and months?

A lot of people may adapt to a new way of life and  have different priorities after going through this crisis..

I think the opposite. This has made us realise that we shouldn't take the sport for granted. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, weller54 said:

Not so sure.

Especially if this season is cancelled.

It will make a mockery of the whole game.

Come on, where in a situation pretty much nobody could have envisaged. It’ll be sh!t if we can’t finish the season but if this goes on until the back end of this year (not sure what the expected timelines are) then it really does become ‘one of those things’. 

53 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

The weekend the gates open again every club in the country from Premier League to the bottom will sell out.

Many clubs will get record attendance.

I just cannot see this virus going away until next year but am expecting some relaxation of social distancing rules on some extent to encourage herd immunity this year so the thought of sell out stadiums if that happens before the introduction of the vaccine is very alarming I have to say.

Edited by The Blur
  • Like 1

Just now, The Blur said:

I just cannot see this virus going away until next year but am expecting some relaxation of social distancing rules on some extent to encourage herd immunity this year so the thought of sell out stadiums if that happens before the introduction of the vaccine is very alarming I have to say.

You’d imagine stadiums, be it football, or for music events or whatever form of entertainment will be the last thing to reopen when this is all under control. Sport will initially start back behind closed doors and I don’t expect any crowds at this seasons remaining games.

At some point though, they will open and every man and his dog will hit the pubs and head over to the ground to experience what they have missed.

As I’ve got older has kids etc. and moving away from Leicester and not having a team I am passionate for, I have attended less and less live sport games. 
I cannot now wait to experience the game again, and will be in attendance at the first live game I can get to when this is all over.

• Like 2

Just now, weller54 said:

Not so sure.

Especially if this season is cancelled.

It will make a mockery of the whole game.

Not of World football,and the individual needs to Kick a ball...of paper,cardboard boxes,tennis balls,even Real footballs..!!

Only the Profi game might Need People to  realise and understand their priorities....

I Don t Need Fifa, Euefa, even individual FAs,to Enjoy watching a group of people Chase After a ball.

Lads/lassies Don t Need the above to start a group of teams....Ditto for any Basic sport..!!!

Jesus!! Even F1 with trollies,Soap-boxes & old-prams cant be stopped..!!!

We'll still go back to pubs,arguing the toss,discussing and debating ,

the simplicity of the Joy seen on the streets,or the park,what they were doing right or should do better..!! If it wasnt for that Bloody stump,sticking up

If would of been a goal,then without that Bloody Great Dane Running Off with fking  the ball,it would of been a draw..!!

Besides !! Its your round,get them in,   Shall we Play Darts ..501,Football,or cricket????

3 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

It does throw into the spotlight how important footballers actually are. 

They contribute absolutely **** all. Hopefully society recognises that. They entertain but they don't keep this world turning. 

It's f***ing depressing without it though isn't it?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

They contribute absolutely **** all. Hopefully society recognises that. They entertain but they don't keep this world turning. 

I do hope it shows us how much more important John in the supermarket is vs Harry Kane or Pogba. 

I would like to see this result in lower wages for players and something of tempering the ridiculous situation we're at regarding how they're treated. 

As it stands right now.

I'd take games behind closed doors if I get to watch some live sport. Because being stuck at home sucks, with no sport it sucks even more.

The potential for top drawer atmosphere the 1st time football returns to the KP excites me.

However if they bin this season or we don't see CL football next season I tend to agree I think I'd just accept that 15/16 and the CL of 16/17 was when football for me peaked and probably lose a bit of interest.

The one thing that would stop me walking away completely is the fact my boy now loves it and it's our time away from the girls.

Edited by Bayfox

59 minutes ago, weller54 said:

Once we've properly beaten this thing it'll be a record breaking year for everything: conceptions (after the celebrations) and births (after the isolation), modern day football attendances, holiday expenditure, amount of people out at once on that first weekend, spending on alcohol, spending on party equipment, British holiday numbers, the economy will record the best ever figures for retail spend and new job creation and house sales will be huge. I have no doubt people will be rushing to watch their football teams finally play again in front of a crowd. It'll be massive.

Edited by Toddybad
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

To me it is the opposite, although they not required for absolute survival, they are entertainers and serve as a means to keep the people happy and under control.

30 minutes ago, Toddybad said:

Once we've properly beaten this thing it'll be a record breaking year for everything: conceptions (after the celebrations) and births (after the isolation), modern day football attendances, holiday expenditure, amount of people out at once on that first weekend, spending on alcohol, spending on party equipment, British holiday numbers, the economy will record the best ever figures for retail spend and new job creation and house sales will be huge. I have no doubt people will be rushing to watch their football teams finally play again in front of a crowd. It'll be massive.

I get your point in terms of the first weekend, but much beyond that I'm not so sure spending will be as mad as you think. There are going to be a lot of people very hard up when we're all released again.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ajthefox said:

I get your point in terms of the first weekend, but much beyond that I'm not so sure spending will be as mad as you think. There are going to be a lot of people very hard up when we're all released again.

Yeah, tbf that aspect of this does seem quite foreign to me as I work in the NHS. I've seen my self employed mates having to look at how they can survive and trying to claim for universal credit. And everything is closing. Hopefully the majority will get the 80% payments to see them through and then be back working the instant it's all over. I hope so anyway.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

The OP is a great question.

I'm wondering if the edge will go for me. This whole thing is like going cold turkey and I'm starting to think maybe I've spent a little too much time and energy and definitely worry on football over the years

I think many others will feel this way too.

The longer this isolation goes on, the more the people will adapt to having a different view on life in general and readapting to their previous routines will take quite a while, perhaps changing them forever.

1 hour ago, foxile5 said:

I would disagree here, they don’t offer feck all, they offer quite a lot. Anywhere near the amount they’re paid? Absolutely not.

But they offer an escape, for many they offer hope, aspiration and at very least a distraction and the ability to be part of something.

For the years I had my season ticket at Filbert St. No matter what was happening in the real world: losing jobs, break ups, losing loved ones etc. I always knew for a couple of hours on a Saturday afternoon I had a place to be where I was part of something. Where I could forget the real world troubles I had, where instead of the hurt I was feeling or the loneliness, my biggest problem for a couple of hours were caused by Brian Carey and a sloppy back pass, Lee Philpott crossing into the first man or Walshy being sent off. 
The elation of a last minute winner, or gathering with friends, for a few pints, a sing song some of the best laughs I’ve had, above all no matter how bad my mental health was, I had a reason to leave the house.

Footballers offer a way out for kids in poverty, they offer a career to aspire to, and even the vast majority who don’t make it as pros, get regular exercise and the experience of working in a team environment towards a common goal and new connections, for many it’s their reason to go to school.

So I don’t agree footballers offer nothing. Yes there are some massive flogs amongst them, but they offer more than society gives them credit for.

• Like 3

For me, the silence from all premier league players re their salaries is deafening. To me it’s morally wrong that the players are picking up all of their huge salaries yet some clubs are furloughing their staff. If players took a 50% pay cut (and they would still be VERY well paid), then this would make a huge difference. I really hope this happens but not sure that it will. I love football and this club but now is the time to realise that the obscene salaries have to stop-especially when we have fantastic NHS staff earning less than 1/2 a per-cent of the average premier league player. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, foxile5 said:

not sure you're doing football right if you think it "contributes fu ck all", tbh. 

I think a lot will change depending on how long the crisis goes on for... We may see traffic ease as more people work from home, restaurants less full as people discover their hidden talents in cooking, more people attempting DIY but one thing that I don't think people will lose interest in is sport. 

Think of all of this as one long pre season, when the return is announced we'll all be sitting at the edge of our seats counting down the minutes. Imo the only thing that could ruin it is if the Premier league decide to cancel the season as it puts the integrity of the game at question. Sadly as the crisis goes on, the more likely it is looking to be that outcome but for me it would ruin the game permanently.