Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Ben Chilwell

3 minutes ago, jerry said:

Over rated and good business.

I guess we'll see in time. Would be happy to be proved wrong if we do sell him but I just think he is very talented. Not the finished product at 23 with only a couple of seasons at the top level but that is very rare for a defender. He has everything you can't teach or learn and the rest will come in my opinion.

Edited by peach0000
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

I just think the Maguire deal should have set a precedent of what it would take to get our best player.

When you compare the two Id say the following:

-They are equally as established as premier league players

-Chilwell is younger

-Maguire was more established internationally (just)

-Both are English (home grown)

Based on all of that I don't see how Chilwell shouldn't at least go for as much as Maguire if not more based on age.

Different player. Different position. Different club. Different time 

8 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

At worst for us he will improve and go on to be a decent left back for a better team than us but I doubt we'll miss him, what has he done for us thats been out of the ordinary? Its the same with Maguire. We won't concede any more goals without Chilwell and I'm confident we'll find another player who can chip in with 2-3 goals and the same amount of assists a season. If we get £65-70m and use it well, it is astonishing business yet again from us. 0

If i'm spending £60m-£80m on a player he has to be outstanding and make a difference. For example in our title winning year a Vardy, Mahrez or Kante.

The likes of Maguire and Chilwell have been good players for us but nowhere near the irreplaceable tag of Vardy, Mahrez or Kante or even Ricardo for that matter in the current team. As you say in your very good post we won't concede more goals or create less goals with Chilwell gone.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Bert said:

The biggest thing we’ll miss from him is that in the last 20 mins of games he’s actually very good at bringing the ball out of the back and travelling quite far into the opposition half. 

And running it out of play unchallenged and losing the ball in the nooks and crannies of the stadium.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The only thing I don't like about is that they keep feeding talent to the top clubs. At the start of this past season, Chelsea and LCFC were pretty equal clubs in terms of the first 11 they put on the pitch.  No longer. And this deal extends the gap.  Maybe it's the American in me but I'm not a fan of improving my direct competition. And I get the economics. Personally I would wish him no success were he to leave for 'greener pastures'.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Bert said:

The biggest thing we’ll miss from him is that in the last 20 mins of games he’s actually very good at bringing the ball out of the back and travelling quite far into the opposition half. 

The game has become more and more about a combination of skill and physical capability. Ben has a fantastic engine as you say and I would be surprised if we got a replacement that provides the same as chilly does ..... 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TeaMen Tom said:

The only thing I don't like about is that they keep feeding talent to the top clubs. At the start of this past season, Chelsea and LCFC were pretty equal clubs in terms of the first 11 they put on the pitch.  No longer. And this deal extends the gap.  Maybe it's the American in me but I'm not a fan of improving my direct competition. And I get the economics. Personally I would wish him no success were he to leave for 'greener pastures'.

The deal only extends the gap if our replacement isn't as good as him. We were a better team without Maguire for the first 2/3rds of last season and I'm confident we'll not miss Chilwell particularly. He's the most expendable of our sought after players.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, GorlestonFox said:

Different player. Different position. Different club. Different time 

Point by point

- That's why I was comparing the two on their different qualities

- Still both defenders, full backs and centre halves go for similar amounts, not like it's a goal keeper and a striker

- Club is totally irrelevant if you want our players you can pay up no matter who you are

- It may be a different time but Chelsea clearly have plenty of money to throw around as do others. Transfer fees show no signs of going down.

The main point where they are comparable is that Chilwell and Maguire are both Englands first choice in their position. There is no better player if you are a big club wanting a home grown player in a that position. That adds a massive premium. Therefore I think we should be expecting at least as much for Chilwell as we did for Maguire. 

Edited by peach0000

15 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

And running it out of play unchallenged and losing the ball in the nooks and crannies of the stadium.

Yep and the at least once a game loss of concentration letting the ball run under his foot for a opposing throw from a easy pass from team mate, for all the plus’s he does have some silly flaws

• Like 1

He’s actually integral to the way we attack, so losing him will be huge. We would have to replace him with a someone who has the ability to drive us up the pitch and finish. There are better players out there, but we would probably have to spend most of what we get for Chilwell..... it’s not a sign of improvement though, we’re supposed to be building a team and all tat ever happens is the players piss off to bigger and better. Give it a season and Madders will be gone too. We’re turning into the premier leagues answer to Brentford. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

At worst for us he will improve and go on to be a decent left back for a better team than us but I doubt we'll miss him, what has he done for us thats been out of the ordinary? Its the same with Maguire. We won't concede any more goals without Chilwell and I'm confident we'll find another player who can chip in with 2-3 goals and the same amount of assists a season. If we get £65-70m and use it well, it is astonishing business yet again from us. 0

For much of last season there were only two teams that were better than us in the Premier League. A move to Chelsea is not much more than a sideways move! Same with Maguire to United.  They may have more history than us, but, if we have any intention to be a Champions League team we have to stop selling our best players to our opponents.

• Like 1

Just now, Merchant_Banker said:

For much of last season there were only two teams that were better than us in the Premier League. A move to Chelsea is not much more than a sideways move! Same with Maguire to United.  They may have more history than us, but, if we have any intention to be a Champions League team we have to stop selling our best players to our opponents.

It’s about money ........ their owner has loads more than ours ....  as do all the big clubs ...though spurs have the stadium debt to worry about for a while .....

3 minutes ago, Merchant_Banker said:

If you genuinely think that we are on par with Chelsea and Man United then unfortunately you’re a bit delusional. We’re way off and will be for some years. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Sad really if true.  I’ll miss him and do rate him.  Makes bad decisions with his final ball far too often but it’s never too late to improve.  We rely on his style on the left to compliment Ricardo on the right so need to replace him for a similar engine.  I do worry when we lose a popular player in the team - we’ve got some tight groups so hopefully it doesn’t impact negatively on the likes of Maddison.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

He’s actually integral to the way we attack, so losing him will be huge. We would have to replace him with a someone who has the ability to drive us up the pitch and finish.

Ricardo. heard of him? Goals 4, Chilwell 3. Minutes per goal 740, Chilwell 970. Foxestalk season rating 6/9, the best, Chilwell 5.9 - the worst of all 2019/20 players. I still think Fuchs offered more attacking options, his crosses were much better delivered than Chilwell can do. No other defender has the ability to pass across the home box to the opposition like Chilwell, did all to often. No other outside defender was so bad at stopping crosses. I don't somehow, share your pessimism.