Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
CloudFox

Wesley Fofana

41 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Do you really think that's realistic given the way St Etienne have played hard ball and the fact they have publicly stated how desperate they are for cash now.

Maybe not. They sat they are desperate for cash but then say they want to keep Fofana for another year. If they were so desperate for cash then surely they would accept a £30m bid for a kid who hasn't even played a full season yet. 

11 minutes ago, jayfox26 said:

Maybe not. They sat they are desperate for cash but then say they want to keep Fofana for another year. If they were so desperate for cash then surely they would accept a £30m bid for a kid who hasn't even played a full season yet. 

Not if there are a few clubs after him and they can get more money. Like @Ric Flair says, what you say would cost about £70m and even worse still paying for a player you aren't even getting right away. More chance of Rodgers coming back to Celtic this summer than that happening!

• Like 1

I am not so sure.

What these peculiar times has done has shook up financial management, such that construction of deals that would have been discarded due to their  structure may now be acceptable, this is especially true when you can recognise the capital earlier thanks to Macquarie and the like.

The change of Under’s deal from obligation to option was highly significant I think.

9 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...4th!!, until Evans leaves he is the number one CB...he is the one who has held the backline together!!!

Absolutely he has but that doesn't change the fact that he turns 34 mid way through next season.... If a 34 year old is your best defender, you are in trouble. 

Edited by Foxy_Bear

2 hours ago, mozartfox said:

Reading some of the latest comments on their forum, he may be leaving  They appear to have issues similar to ours i.e. they have expensive deadwood to clear out, in their case before they can recruit.

There is one suggestion that there could be a threshold at which point the two Boss Men may over-rule Puel?  Sounds plausible if ASSE do indeed have financial issues.   

Lets leave it to Rudders.

I think we can afford to sit tight and wait for one of ASSE or Burnley to buckle nearer deadline day. A top notch CB is what's required but we still have Amartey, Benkovic and Morgan if need be and the next window is 3 months away. Both the clubs we want to buy from have expensive players who really don't want to be there. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Gerard said:

I think we can afford to sit tight and wait for one of ASSE or Burnley to buckle nearer deadline day. A top notch CB is what's required but we still have Amartey, Benkovic and Morgan if need be and the next window is 3 months away. Both the clubs we want to buy from have expensive players who really don't want to be there. 

If we want to we can still go and raid the Championship for someone like Rodon or Godfrey as that window still has 3 weeks left

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

I would go back this week and offer £30m + £15m in add on's and a 10% sell on clause. That is frankly an outrageous bid to a club desperate for money. I still think we will get him and not Tarkowski.

£15m in add ons if the majority of that is for Balon d'Or maybe.

£30m is more than enough unless this lad is almost nailed on to be a world class CB. If the likes of Real Madrid, Barca and Bayern were in for him then I'd agree but it's Leicester, West Ham, Milan and Leipzig. I think people are losing track over how much £30m buys you in football. We bought Tielemans for that kind of money who was once touted as a future world class player as a teenager and performed like one when he came here on loan for four months. 

Considering Fofana's inexperience and the level of clubs interested in him £30m is plenty. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

I would go back this week and offer £30m + £15m in add on's and a 10% sell on clause. That is frankly an outrageous bid to a club desperate for money. I still think we will get him and not Tarkowski.

I think that's too much, unless the add-ons are so far-fetched that they're certain not to happen. If we've offered over £30m, then I think we've hit the limit already. I'd maybe offer them a loan of Benkovic, but I think we're getting too close to being Maguired here. Let's not forget we're bidding on a teenage centre-half with barely any experience. £30m should be more than plenty, really.

I'd leave the last offer on the table and move on.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

I think that's too much, unless the add-ons are so far-fetched that they're certain not to happen. If we've offered over £30m, then I think we've hit the limit already. I'd maybe offer them a loan of Benkovic, but I think we're getting too close to being Maguired here. Let's not forget we're bidding on a teenage centre-half with barely any experience. £30m should be more than plenty, really.

I'd leave the last offer on the table and move on.

The add on's should be £5m when he's played 50 league games for us, £5m if we qualify for CL at any point during his first 4 years with us and £5m if he plays 10 times for the senior France side. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

but I think we're getting too close to being Maguired here.

Great line.

We're similar here to Man Utd who were desperate for a top notch CB but time was running out and options were limited, in the end they just paid what it took to get what they considered a top class CB as it was either that or go with what they had for the start of the season.

I'd love to see Fofana here but £30m would make him one of the most expensive teenagers of all time and the level of clubs interested in him are not top shelf. You can only really value a player dependent on the level of clubs interested, well at least if you're a willing seller.

If we wanted to sell Thomas for example because of contract issues we could ask for more if it was Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern, etc that were interested than if it was Rotherham, Barnsley and Luton.

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 1

He fits the profile of what Rodgers wants in a defender, if he wants to play the 541/352 etc.  You need defenders to be able to come out with the ball with speed, Soyuncu can do it, but Evans is not that type of player.  Fofona is rated as a very good prospect in France and some French football fans I've spoken to think it would be mad to sell him this season, because he could turn into a 50/60 mill player next year.  Do St Etienne take the 30 mill now or wait and see?