Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
CloudFox

Wesley Fofana

This kid's played 20 professional league games and people are desperate for us to break our transfer record on him?

Seems like a massive unnecessary risk to me.

The whole point of buying young relatively unproven players is that they're cheaper but St Etienne want crazy money for him.

• Like 2

Just now, matty98 said:

This kid's played 20 professional league games and people are desperate for us to break our transfer record on him?

Seems like a massive unnecessary risk to me.

The whole point of buying young relatively unproven players is that they're cheaper but St Etienne want crazy money for him.

Plus now there seems to be a question over the lads character as well. It seems awfully risky.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I would go back this week and offer £30m + £15m in add on's and a 10% sell on clause. That is frankly an outrageous bid to a club desperate for money. I still think we will get him and not Tarkowski.

That's a lot of money for someone who's played 20 league games. If our scouts trust him then I imagine he'll be worth it, it's just a hell of a lot of money for someone so inexperienced, mental.

Edited by Leicester_Loyal

1 minute ago, Le Renard said:

He fits the profile of what Rodgers wants in a defender, if he wants to play the 541/352 etc.  You need defenders to be able to come out with the ball with speed, Soyuncu can do it, but Evans is not that type of player.  Fofona is rated as a very good prospect in France and some French football fans I've spoken to think it would be mad to sell him this season, because he could turn into a 50/60 mill player next year.  Do St Etienne take the 30 mill now or wait and see? 

May be ask your French Football contacts which Clubs do they believe will be shelling out 50/60m next year if COVID-19 wrecks the finances of all but a tiny handful of Clubs?  The transfer landscape is in a very different place now. Remove the two Manchester Clubs and Chelsea out of the equation and how many deals excess of 50M have been done around Europe in this window thus far??   

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

Incoming final bid today from Milan:

According to Simone Cristao of Radio Rossonera, Milan will submit a final offer to sign Fofana from Saint-Etienne, and they will make a bid on the basis of a paid loan with obligation to buy.

I don't get how Milan would be able to match our bid with their last bid being only €25m, the only way I see their deal being more attractive than ours would be if they were willing to loan him back to ASSE for the season, which I'm sure they don't want to do. Unless they're going to offer a cash + player deal?

Monday afternoon when I imagine he would normally be training and according to his Instagram he is currently in Geneva, Switzerland...?

Not that far from Saint-Etienne but still, bit weird surely

Edited by moore_94

2 minutes ago, talking_goldfish said:

I don't get how Milan would be able to match our bid with their last bid being only €25m, the only way I see their deal being more attractive than ours would be if they were willing to loan him back to ASSE for the season, which I'm sure they don't want to do. Unless they're going to offer a cash + player deal?

The report I read did not elaborate. But we must not forget Roma offered us 10 Bob for Mahrez.  So may be Italian Clubs do not read the Football press outside of the Gazetta dello Sport  :dunno:

13 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

The add on's should be £5m when he's played 50 league games for us, £5m if we qualify for CL at any point during his first 4 years with us and £5m if he plays 10 times for the senior France side. 

Seems reasonable enough, but I still think it's an awful lot for what we'd be getting, though. I'd rather we went for a loan or a punt on a much cheaper player to tide us over, while saving enough to be able to pounce when a better opportunity arises. It might be the case that ASSE badly need the money in January or next summer, or we find another diamond in the rough in the meantime.

13 minutes ago, Gerard said:

Great line.

We're similar here to Man Utd who were desperate for a top notch CB but time was running out and options were limited, in the end they just paid what it took to get what they considered a top class CB as it was either that or go with what they had for the start of the season.

I'd love to see Fofana here but £30m would make him one of the most expensive teenagers of all time and the level of clubs interested in him are not top shelf. You can only really value a player dependent on the level of clubs interested, well at least if you're a willing seller.

If we wanted to sell Thomas for example because of contract issues we could ask for more if it was Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern, etc that were interested than if it was Rotherham, Barnsley and Luton.

Thanks!

I agree. I think the big difference between us now and Man Utd then is that we're not so tunnel-visioned. Seemed like Man Utd had decided it was Maguire or nothing, whereas we could go for someone else, instead. We're not such a captive audience. We certainly don't need to be, anyway.

I think that's one reason why there's quite a gulf between the fees that the giant clubs pay and the fees everyone else pay. I think there's an error in thinking that, say, Tarkowski is nearly as good as Maguire, so he should fetch not that much less than £80m. If the big clubs aren't interested, then you're never going to get much more than about £40m for any player in today's money, no matter how good that player is. If the elite few clubs are interested, then the sky's the limit, really. Doesn't seem fair, but that's just how it is. At the top of a pyramid is a point.

1 hour ago, Foxy_Bear said:

Absolutely he has but that doesn't change the fact that he turns 34 mid way through next season.... If a 34 year old is your best defender, you are in trouble. 

Not necessarily .....there have been magnificent centre half’s still playing at the highest level well into there mid 30’s - Baresi, Terry, Ferdinand etc...

I do agree we need to plan but JE will be our first choice for a couple of years yet but WF would be a good signing to learn from Wes, Jonny and Cags! - what a great education he would get!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Old Fox said:

Not necessarily .....there have been magnificent centre half’s still playing at the highest level well into there mid 30’s - Baresi, Terry, Ferdinand etc...

I do agree we need to plan but JE will be our first choice for a couple of years yet but WF would be a good signing to learn from Wes, Jonny and Cags! - what a great education he would get!

I agree. Centre-half is a position almost like keepers, where experience counts for a lot, and pace isn't quite so important, so they tend to peak later in their careers.

That is a fine set of teachers for a young CB, and you didn't even mention Kolo!

35 minutes ago, Old Fox said:

You're forgetting one big thing that a lot of people are overlooking when it comes to the potential of a young promising centre back learning their game at Leicester City.

They wouldn't just be learning from Wes and Evans, they'd be learning from Kolo Toure.

4 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

Maybe Rodgers has a eye on moving Benkovic on and Morgan retiring at the end of the season.

That leave you with Evans, Soyuncu and Amartey, and the possibility of Soyuncu being on the wanted list of some bigger clubs then us. 

Maybe, but that won't be now and we clearly haven't the budget for two. If for example we had lost Vardy to a groin injury as feared this weekend then what? Surely that's more of a priority than stockpiling yet another centre half until next season?