Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
CloudFox

Wesley Fofana

2 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Tbf we haven't seen Salisu play yet so know nothing about how he'll turn out. Koch has looked a good buy but Leeds could offer him something we couldn't, which is why he wouldn't consider us.

Sarr is overrated.

It wasn't meant as in we should've signed these players, just to show the sort of prices young promising CB's are going for and that we'd be paying way over the odds for Fofana.

There's a time and a place for paying over the odds. I don't think a CB that would be 3rd choice is that place though.

If we're going to pay over the odds for a player they should atleast be a guaranteed starter. Fofana almost definitely isn't.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, matty98 said:

It wasn't meant as in we should've signed these players, just to show the sort of prices young promising CB's are going for and that we'd be paying way over the odds for Fofana.

There's a time and a place for paying over the odds. I don't think a CB that would be 3rd choice is that place though.

If we're going to pay over the odds for a player they should atleast be a guaranteed starter. Fofana almost definitely isn't.

I think this 'could' be more about long term future/contingent planning. 

Evans is not getting any younger. Big Wes will not be retained in a playing capacity next season.  Soyuncu could conceivably be a target from one of the bigger Clubs next summer window.   Tarkowski does not fit in this scenario as well as a younger option such a Fofana does - just my take.    

• Like 1

He does feel more like the player that fits our transfer modus operandi. Following a Dortmund like model signing top young talent (a la Sancho, Bellingham, Haaland etc) developing them then selling one a summer to reinvest. Tarks might improve us today but just feels like this guy is the one we really want, everything else is just a negotiation tactic.

Edited by brookfox
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Fktf said:

How do we know this - there been an interview somewhere?

It's logic.... I can't imagine the conversation going well if it was "Hi James, fancy joining us as a rotation option when we fancy three at the back?", He's an established PL defender, and yes where I agree we do need one, can you justify dropping Evans? In my opinion no, and that means are we going to always play a back three, which means Under comes as a rotation player, I don't think so. It seems as though it's an option B if Fofana fail's but in my opinion not the right one, as we will end up with three CB expecting to start every week. 

31 minutes ago, talking_goldfish said:

So if these fees are correct then the bid is actually for €35m + €5m addons, or £31.5m + £4.5m add ons so a bid of £36m total, which is less than the reported bid for Tarks.

Weeeeeeeedeedeeedeedereeedweedeweedeedeedeedeedeweedweedeeweedeedeedeasseedeedeedeedeedeeweedeedeedeedeedeedeedeededeedeedeedeedeeweeweedeedeedeedeedeedeedwweeedeedeedeedeedeedeedeeweeededeederweedeedeedwweedeedeededeeddeedeedeweedeedweedeedeedereeweedweeweedeedweedeweweedeedeedeededeedewee

4 hours ago, fox_favourite said:

Am I one of very few concerned about how the cost of Fofana is getting a little out of control. I do feel we've been played by St Etienne a bit. £40m+ just seems a lot for a player that's hardly played in the French league. Yes he has age on his side, and I'm not denying that he has possible potential, but it could be a bit of a gamble.

Very much with you on this.

Our supposed first offer was maybe a little low but its for a player who hasn't even had a full season, and from a club who apparently need money. They named a price. We've since matched that, then gone over it and now with this supposedly ridiculous valuation, it feels like we're being played big time.

I'm hoping a lot of it is paper/agent talk and we're not actually being fleeced this hard for someone so unproven and with so few other suitors. Or at the very least, hoping that the structure of the offer isn't quite as reported and that most of it will be performance-based add-ons (CL qualification, PLTOTY etc). Otherwise I'd just walk away now and leave a respectable offer on the table (£25m+£5m add-ons, perhaps) for them to mull over until deadline day, with no further negotiation. Take it or leave it. Meanwhile, progress the loan-with-option on Tah so we dont leave ourselves stuck without a CB.

Edited by Xen
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Pliskin said:

It's logic.... I can't imagine the conversation going well if it was "Hi James, fancy joining us as a rotation option when we fancy three at the back?", He's an established PL defender, and yes where I agree we do need one, can you justify dropping Evans? In my opinion no, and that means are we going to always play a back three, which means Under comes as a rotation player, I don't think so. It seems as though it's an option B if Fofana fail's but in my opinion not the right one, as we will end up with three CB expecting to start every week

Good. The same logic applies to praet, tielemanns, maddison. We saw last year how we need a deeper squad. So your convo is going to start, hi james, can't guarantee you'll be first name on the team sheet, but we could have 50odd games to play this year.. so you'll have the chance to play. Oh, btw, some of that might be in Europe mate. 

I read a comment from one of the top honchos at ASSE that Puel is one of the only Coaches around that also has a position on the Board of a Club.  This is why he has so much influence on this.

1 hour ago, UniFox21 said:

We must really rate this kid to be pumping this much at him. Slightly unnerved with that. I know this could be a huge success, but also a huge gamble. Tark would be able to fit in here and now.

I’d take the quoted figures with a pinch of salt.

Remember Tielemans last season? The papers don’t know the details anymore than we do and rely on internal Chinese whispers to pick up any tidbits.

20 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

3702420.jpg

We are probably going to over pay for one or two players. But we've also made more than we probably should have done on Maguire and Chilwell. This manager has asked for 5 players and deserves them. "Did we really need Castagne?" was a reasonable question to ask when other areas in the squad seemed like more pressing concerns. How many people are asking that question now!? If we started the season with JJ and Luke Thomas as first choice starters I don't think we'd have done as well as we have.

We will have 50+ games this season. Once the Europa League starts it's a game every 3 days till February at the earliest, more if we progress. If we fill out the squad it improves the potential of a higher league finish and going deeper in cup competitions. If we don't it will be the end of last season all over again at some point as the season progresses. 

I'm not worried though, it's obvious we sign at least one more player and I could see up to two more come in on deadline day, probably on loan with option / obligation to buy. 

• Thanks 1

Interesting that Percy said we only had £20m for a CB yet are spending nearly double that. 
Also Rodgers saying that he wants a few more players still. 
Maybe there is more money available than we think and the club are using JP and the media to make it look like we’re skint. 

Edited by Ginger_Filbert
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ginger_Filbert said:

Interesting that Percy said we only had £20m for a CB yet are spending nearly double that. 
Also Rodgers saying that he wants a few more players still. 
Maybe there is more money available than we think and the club are using JP and the media to make it look like we’re skint. 

It’s almost as though we’ve passed on info to J Percy to keep prices down 👀

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, dbtcity said:

It’s almost as though we’ve passed on info to J Percy to keep prices down 👀

Which doesn't help much then when the manager says he wants 5 players and that the press are reporting we have bid £35m for Fofana and Tarkowski