Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tielemans63

Riyad never wanted to join LCFC

Riyad Mahrez reveals he originally didn't want to join Leicester

Riyad Mahrez has revealed that while he was playing in France at Le Havre, he had absolutely no desire to join Leicester City back in 2013.

Initially, when his agents had made him aware of the interest, he didn’t even have the desire to even look up who the club were.

However, after the Foxes continued to persist and Le Havre needed the money, Mahrez eventually took the leap so the French side could earn £400,000 for his sale.

“I grew up in France so I wanted to discover Ligue 1, it was my ambition. When my agents told me Leicester City were interested, I told myself: ‘Who are this rugby team?’

Nice suits my coaching ambitions right now - Vieira

“At first, I told them I’m not going, it’s dead, what am I going to do in England? It’s not for me, it’s too physical.

“But they insist, insist, insist. Therefore, I turned my phone off during the winter break in December, telling myself: ‘They’re crazy, what do they want?’

“When I returned to training in January and I realised Leicester were still after me. When we started talking wages, etc… I immediately felt they really wanted me.

resize?fit=max&h=648&image=https%3A%2F%2

“At that point, I opened my laptop and for the first time and I Googled Leicester City. I saw the stadium, the training facilities, the infrastructures and that’s when I thought it might be worth going.

“I spoke to my mum, because, you know, parents feel these things. They have this ability.

“Then, the president of Le Havre told me they desperately wanted to sell me. The money was important for the club, so I told him okay, in that case, I’ll leave.”

Of course, the move would prove to be unbelievably profitable for Leicester City, winning the Premier League and making a Champions League quarter-final before his £60m move to Manchester City.

https://onefootball.com/en/news/riyad-mahrez-reveals-he-originally-didnt-want-to-join-leicester-29910021?variable=20200513

Edited by Paddy.
  • Like 1

He done an interview for an Algerian news source not long after he joined us. Might have been the pre season between winning the championship and the Premier League starting. 

In there he said how we invested in not only him but his family. My Algerian friend at work at the time was buzzing another algerian was playing in England and translated the whole article for me 😆 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Mark_w said:

I think the issue is that throughout his time here and since he’s been completely classless about it. Kante used us as a stepping stone to advance his career but we all love him because he’s been consistently nice and handled himself professionally. Mahrez signs new contracts, then sulks, makes out he’s being held hostage and when he gets his move is still insufferable.

everyone is different I guess. work is work. I dont' feel the need to blow smoke up my old employers arse either. Yes, I guess it wouldn't hurt for him to be a bit "nicer" about his time here when asked about it but I don't lose any sleep about it

• Haha 1

Knew this before that he'd thought it was a Rugby club. Tbf he comes from Algeria, why would he know who we were. When Pep was playing I bet he'd only heard of Manchester United.

• Like 1

If he didnt know anything about Leicester, then how did he know about the Rugby club? Or am i missing the point?

Anyway he played for us, did well and helped us win the league.. we got lots of £££ for him when sold and now he has moved on.

It is what it is and i for one am not dwelling on it. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

If he didnt know anything about Leicester, then how did he know about the Rugby club? Or am i missing the point?

Anyway he played for us, did well and helped us win the league.. we got lots of £££ for him when sold and now he has moved on.

It is what it is and i for one am not dwelling on it. 

Because tigers are massive, and foxes are not!😜

• Haha 1

Seem to recall a week or so before we signed him that the deal was proving difficult to do and it was more the player or associates than Le Harve and then suddenly he was announced before we larrupsed Derby 4-1 on a Friday night. Had a horrible little blond tipped sweepover and it was love at first sight.

8 minutes ago, FoxInTheBirstallBox said:

Sarcelles in France actually. Rugby is huge in France so I imagine that how he's herd of leicester 

Unless they’re particular fans of English football, then very few Frenchmen prior to 2015 would have really known of us. When Mahrez was growing up, other than the O’Neil period when we were finishing 8th and had very brief European runs (as proud as we are of it) we were mostly in the Championship/Division 1 and League One when he was growing up, whereas Tigers were routinely going to France in European competition. I imagine that was the case in many rugbycentric countries.

• Like 1