Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

23 minutes ago, Dunge said:

Lockdowns work.

They may not solve the problem entirely or make the virus go away, and there’s no doubt they damage the economy, but they lower infection rates effectively, no matter what Professor O’Virus with the soothing Irish voice may say on YouTube.

I doubt many people doubt that lockdown works, and if our sole object was to stop people catching coronavirus, we could have all taken 2 months' food supply into our homes and not come out - last summer, so it wouldn't matter as much that the gas and electricity was off.

But when you start factoring in other aspects of life such as heat and light, treatment and diagnosis of other diseases, education, dementia and care for the elderly, employment, entertainment, etc etc etc, that it becomes a lot more complicated.  There isn't (except at the lunatic fringe) an argument between total lockdown and total freedom - the argument is about how much lockdown and how much freedom.  The powers that be need to find a balance between suppressinng coronavirus while taking into account other factors; my worry is that (especially with regard to the elderly) other factors are being given not enough emphasis.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

I doubt many people doubt that lockdown works

Really? - read this thread back then...actually, don't. 

4 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

But when you start factoring in other aspects of life such as heat and light, treatment and diagnosis of other diseases, education, dementia and care for the elderly, employment, entertainment, etc etc etc, that it becomes a lot more complicated.  There isn't (except at the lunatic fringe) an argument between total lockdown and total freedom - the argument is about how much lockdown and how much freedom.  The powers that be need to find a balance between suppressinng coronavirus while taking into account other factors; my worry is that (especially with regard to the elderly) other factors are being given not enough emphasis.

Absolutely. Agree entirely - although you possibly underestimate the proportion of people that flagrantly flout restrictions/regulations or would come out in support of their total removal. 

53 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

I doubt many people doubt that lockdown works, and if our sole object was to stop people catching coronavirus, we could have all taken 2 months' food supply into our homes and not come out - last summer, so it wouldn't matter as much that the gas and electricity was off.

I agree, except to say that I think it’s quite clear the government are already trying to apply the minimum restrictions required. That’s what the tier system is all about.

4 hours ago, Izzy said:

We’re in Bucks and going into tier 3 from Saturday. But as someone who doesn’t go to the pub any more and rarely eats out, what’s the real difference between tier 2 and 3?

Cant see much changing for me tbh. 

Yup was just saying this today. In any case rates are so high in areas of Aylesbury I'm almost glad extra restrictions are in place for the sake of my old folks.

• Like 1

Whilst this would undoubtedly be sensible, it would be a shame if that tweet about not wanting to take the vaccine "in case there's a U2 album in it" were taken down:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2020/dec/17/twitter-to-remove-tweets-that-spread-lies-about-covid-vaccines

• Like 1

6 hours ago, filbertway said:

The big one is being able to go round mates or family in Tier 2, but you can't in Tier 3.

Now again, if you don't have any mates or family then you're not missing out on much. I think that's the crucial difference for me though.

Izzy will be fine then.

Sorry mate :P

• Haha 1

I can't wrap my head around these conspiracy theorists who claim that the vaccine is a ploy by the likes of Bill Gates to inject a chip into is that controls and monitors our behaviour. It's utterly bonkers that these people walk amongst us. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Foxy_Bear said:

I can't wrap my head around these conspiracy theorists who claim that the vaccine is a ploy by the likes of Bill Gates to inject a chip into is that controls and monitors our behaviour. It's utterly bonkers that these people walk amongst us. 

Absolute freakslol

Children now starting to be mass tested in secondary schools and colleges as the Government have now realised it's one of the main sources of the spread.

One thing I have realised through all this, apart from mankind could easily be wiped out by a virus if it was powerful enough, is that politicians, scientists and statastions, however hard they try to persuade everyone they are interesting and popular, are Fvckin boring people and the sooner this is over and the quicker they go back to their caves, the better. IMO.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ashley said:

So, I wasn't going to post this ever on here but **** it. Felt a bit embarrassed about it before but why should I. 

I was asked to Sheild this year, twice. The second time I turned down and returned to work. First time I was off but certain aspects of my job allow me to WFH. 

I apologise if I've snapped at anyone in this thread but certain posters ignorance on occasions wound me up.

I'm in line to get the vaccine late January/early to middle of Feb if things keep going as they should. 

My parents and my partners parents through the whole thing were ****ing brilliant can't thank them enough for what they were doing for us. Especially with me in shielding and having a little one which its quite hard explain to at that age. 

I had another severe Asthma attack Friday and was blue lighted to the LRI. I'm on the mend now and starting to feel better. 

Love you guys on here.... if anyone needs to talk about any situations or anything similar hit me up.

One Love 🦊

Good to hear you're alright mate. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Ashley said:

So, I wasn't going to post this ever on here but **** it. Felt a bit embarrassed about it before but why should I. 

I was asked to Sheild this year, twice. The second time I turned down and returned to work. First time I was off but certain aspects of my job allow me to WFH. 

I apologise if I've snapped at anyone in this thread but certain posters ignorance on occasions wound me up.

I'm in line to get the vaccine late January/early to middle of Feb if things keep going as they should. 

My parents and my partners parents through the whole thing were ****ing brilliant can't thank them enough for what they were doing for us. Especially with me in shielding and having a little one which its quite hard explain to at that age. 

I had another severe Asthma attack Friday and was blue lighted to the LRI. I'm on the mend now and starting to feel better. 

Love you guys on here.... if anyone needs to talk about any situations or anything similar hit me up.

One Love 🦊

Sorry to hear that Ash, I hope you feel better soon.  Asthma is a right bastard.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Foxy_Bear said:

Just idiots, complete and utter idiots who are so stupid they think they are actually a genius. 

I got engaged with a couple about him and it just defies belief. Just constantly telling me to "do some research" and sending me links to home made Wordpress websites that a used loads of 30 second clips of him saying something totally out of context. Things that ironically without about 10 minutes worth of actual research (watching a full clip and not a carefully chosen portion) you can debunk the lot. 

The fact he invests in companies they find suspicious. I try to explain to them, that the one time richest man in the world is actually quite a good businessman. And that it makes far more sense to invest in things that are likely to make more money, so that can be invested, rather than chucking money at short term solutions. 

eg. If you want to feed a village, but them seeds and make them into farmers. Don't just give them a one off bundle of food, because the problem will be there again if you do. 

12 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Just idiots, complete and utter idiots who are so stupid they think they are actually a genius. 

I got engaged with a couple about him and it just defies belief. Just constantly telling me to "do some research" and sending me links to home made Wordpress websites that a used loads of 30 second clips of him saying something totally out of context. Things that ironically without about 10 minutes worth of actual research (watching a full clip and not a carefully chosen portion) you can debunk the lot. 

The fact he invests in companies they find suspicious. I try to explain to them, that the one time richest man in the world is actually quite a good businessman. And that it makes far more sense to invest in things that are likely to make more money, so that can be invested, rather than chucking money at short term solutions. 

eg. If you want to feed a village, but them seeds and make them into farmers. Don't just give them a one off bundle of food, because the problem will be there again if you do. 

The thing that really makes me laugh about the whole situation is, these people are so worried about the mega rich like Bill Gates injecting them with a chip that controls and monitors their behaviour, not realising that they spend thousands of pounds a year buying products from these people like iPhones, Xboxes, Fitbits, smart watches, Alexas that do EXACTLY THAT. 

They dont need a big elaborate plan to inject you with anything. You gladly pay them to do this. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

The mass embezzlement of hundreds of millions of pounds of public money and brazen corruption is not normal, and it seems it hasn't gone unnoticed. Both staggering and deeply depressing that the national media is so biased in favour of the ruling party that barely any outlets tried to shine a light on this.

But hey, I'm sure this is all part of that sinister global conspiracy to try and make the Conservative Party look bad, which now apparently includes UNICEF I hear.

Makes it worse it's an American newspaper/media source reporting this 

32 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

The mass embezzlement of hundreds of millions of pounds of public money and brazen corruption is not normal, and it seems it hasn't gone unnoticed. Both staggering and deeply depressing that the national media is so biased in favour of the ruling party that barely any outlets tried to shine a light on this.

But hey, I'm sure this is all part of that sinister global conspiracy to try and make the Conservative Party look bad, which now apparently includes UNICEF I hear.

It's not just the Tories.  SAGE members are also in this to make a load of money. 

33 minutes ago, Foxy_Bear said:

The thing that really makes me laugh about the whole situation is, these people are so worried about the mega rich like Bill Gates injecting them with a chip that controls and monitors their behaviour, not realising that they spend thousands of pounds a year buying products from these people like iPhones, Xboxes, Fitbits, smart watches, Alexas that do EXACTLY THAT. 

They dont need a big elaborate plan to inject you with anything. You gladly pay them to do this. 

Plus, the chip is apparently being injected by the NHS. Have they seen their computer systems? They can barely manage to get you get a letter to the right address, let alone implement a mass tracking system. lol

The other one is that he wants to kill billions to reduce population of the earth through vaccinations. 

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

Depressing but unsurprising reading that

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Babylon said:

Plus, the chip is apparently being injected by the NHS. Have they seen their computer systems? They can barely manage to get you get a letter to the right address, let alone implement a mass tracking system. lol

The other one is that he wants to kill billions to reduce population of the earth through vaccinations

Yet, the ones currently getting the vaccine with this magic chip are the ones who will die first anyway. 

Then there are these people who pick up on all these weird little things and claim they are clues to this like these people are Jim Fvcking Moriarty leaving a trail....

1 hour ago, ealingfox said:

That's not news, that's just scandalmongering.  Presumably there is a detailed report somewhere that gives a few details.

Why on earth would they add three disparate categories together?  Let's see meaningful figures.  Especially the bit about "companies with no previous experience" - any suggestion that all the companies with previous experience should have been asked simply to ramp up their supply by a factor of twenty or thirty and no new companies should have been used, is ridiculous.  

What does "histories of controversy" mean?

How do they define "political connections"?  

I know there is a school of thought that the government should not have rushed the pandemic supplies procurement process and that normal civil service procedures would have been adequate.  I don't agree.  I reckon when you are panic buying, as they were and as they had to be, then things will go wrong.  If they can produce a detailed report showing how much went wrong and why it was unreasonable even in the extraordinary circumstances, then I'll be interested to hear it.  Smart alec tiwtter pictures are no argument at all.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

That's not news, that's just scandalmongering.  Presumably there is a detailed report somewhere that gives a few details.

Why on earth would they add three disparate categories together?  Let's see meaningful figures.  Especially the bit about "companies with no previous experience" - any suggestion that all the companies with previous experience should have been asked simply to ramp up their supply by a factor of twenty or thirty and no new companies should have been used, is ridiculous.  

What does "histories of controversy" mean?

How do they define "political connections"?  

I know there is a school of thought that the government should not have rushed the pandemic supplies procurement process and that normal civil service procedures would have been adequate.  I don't agree.  I reckon when you are panic buying, as they were and as they had to be, then things will go wrong.  If they can produce a detailed report showing how much went wrong and why it was unreasonable even in the extraordinary circumstances, then I'll be interested to hear it.  Smart alec tiwtter pictures are no argument at all.

Have you read the clearly linked article?

• Haha 2